Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Yesterday saw us taken to an outdoor adventure centre in the middle of Brum. I preferred to watch...even though it was freezing standing there. They had them dropping off tall buildings attached to ropes and a doing a couple of flying foxes. It took forever in between one person going down the rope and the next one; we're talking 20 mins or so! What they'd do with a whole school group there I don't know. Still, the kids (and their dad) enjoyed it. I stood there taking photos of the rosehips which looked lovely. The centre is in a VERY ethnic area of Brum...loads of burkas etc. The centre itself is run by charity funding - there's some serious building going on there so it must have received a bucket load of grants. There was a dry ski slope, assault course, archery, canoeing the ropes tower etc, etc.

It was pretty depressing though as the grounds themselves (70 acres of the old BSA factory) were unkempt and littered with detritus. There were other odd things too considering England is the land of 'elth & safety' - the two flying foxes travelled directly over a metal pointy fence...very nasty if someone fell off! I had my handbag hanging off a door handle at the rope tower and the chaps there were very quick to warn me it'd be snatched if I didn't have it on me....didn't see anyone around for miles, but wasn't going to ignore their advice.

Again, the disparity between the city and countryside is blinding.

Another trip to Asda to gawp over the incredible range of food. Apart from a few items, I'd say food is definitely cheaper than in Oz. Amazing to get to the checkout and have someone initiate a chat with me...lovely!

The maximum temp yesterday was apparently 10C, but it felt colder as it was also wet and grey. At one point the cloud was so heavy and grey that it just came and sat on our heads! Loads of Magpies around....I don't think I've ever seen so many. Sparrows and starlings are definitely conspicious by their absence though.

Today we're off to Brum city to see the sites and talk jobs.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:25 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do your kids feel about possibly moving back?

Great posts btw
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously being teens, they don't want to leave their friends/weather/lifestyle. They do have some really smashing friends, particularly the girls - however, most of them are English/NZ/other ethnic mates rather than Aussies.

On the other hand, they're quite excited by the opportunities in the UK regarding universities, social life and activities. So, if we moved, we'd have a period of moody teens to cope with, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. If we didn't, they may well find their own way over to the UK later in their lives.

Wouldn't like to put money on anything though..all it needs is for one of them to get romantically involved with someone and that'd change everything.

Originally Posted by crystal23
How do your kids feel about possibly moving back?

Great posts btw
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:55 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezzie
Obviously being teens, they don't want to leave their friends/weather/lifestyle. They do have some really smashing friends, particularly the girls - however, most of them are English/NZ/other ethnic mates rather than Aussies.

On the other hand, they're quite excited by the opportunities in the UK regarding universities, social life and activities. So, if we moved, we'd have a period of moody teens to cope with, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. If we didn't, they may well find their own way over to the UK later in their lives.

Wouldn't like to put money on anything though..all it needs is for one of them to get romantically involved with someone and that'd change everything.
Good for them. They'd be moody teens wherever they were though Nice to hear of kids having open minds. I saw their website when I voted in the 'green' comp they entered and they seem pretty smart.

Keep the stories coming
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Really hit the wall yesterday...so damn tired. I've been getting by on less than 4 hours sleep a night - Maggie might have been able to do it, but its left me emotionally drained and exhausted. Having the crew around is a nightmare, I really wonder whether it was worth it for the airfare.

My interview yesterday was all based on relentless questions about how I'd cope if the kids returned to Oz if we moved to the UK, or if I couldn't stand it any longer in Oz and left them for the UK.....on and on, all about me being seperated from my children, it was awful and I just welled-up into tears. I'm sure that bit will make it into the program....feel just awful about it as it will make me look wishy washy and silly. The truth is that I was exhausted and I think any mother if asked to imagine life without her children around her would breakdown in tears.

Hubby went off to see the recruitment agent...apparently not a success. Just lots of the usual filming 'greeting' and 'farewelling' - the consultant essentially said, 'no work available, only some contract work and that's down the South East of the country'.

Also went into Brum to film our reactions to the city. Lovely walking around the German Markets, but of course that couldn't be filmed as its seasonal. Driving out of the city was pretty depressing again. It makes you realise how the entire area between the inner and outer ringroads of the city have been taken over by Pakistani's. Not a white face in sight...in fact, not many faces at all as a huge proportion were covered by burkas! It was all pretty ramshackle and obvious where the area stopped as suddenly you'd be driving through neater streets again.

Again, the difference between the city and the country is striking. Also, walking around the city, came across a few rude people which burst my bubble about friendly Brits a bit. Couldn't believe how many people were smoking; it seemed every second person was puffing on a fag. The inner city areas are full of betting shops too and mostly these seem to be located underneath blocks of Council flats.....sensible eh?

Even getting into the car park in the city was interesting...I've never seen so much barbed wire and spiked fencing in my life. The amount of rubbish littered around was pretty impressive too!

Another difference is that Sydney City during the day is full of mostly business workers going about their day. Brum had this plus loads of school kids wagging, tarty girls daubed in make-up and obviously on the prowl and loads of Asian lads roaming - they didn't seem to be up to anything, just generally hanging out in the city. The large gangs of rastas that used to hang out on the ramp to the Bullring have gone and there was a reasonable police presence around. Some looked like Police, but their jackets actually said something else = which I can't remember as my brain is knackered!

The familiar were also there....Africans with badly written placards shouting about loving the Lord, others standing in the middle of the shopping area raving about the Muslim faith - not one of the security officers approached them, yet the second our film crew got their tripod out, we experienced a rush of jobs worths telling us we could cause injury to shoppers who might not see us standing there!!!!

Today, much is being made about 'decision day'. We have to say whether we're going to move or not. Of course there's no way you could really make a decision based on one week of being taken to various activities.

The crew will be here to film at 7.30am but at least it's the last day. After the end of today we'll be free and then just have to live knowing that they can edit the films together as they like.....hopefully I'll be able to sleep a little more soundly after that! If anyone ever has the urge to get involved in a similar program .....do PM me first !
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Ezzie, it sounds like you're badly in need of a change of scenery and a fresh perspective. Inner city Britain isn't the best place to make a comparison on where you'd like to live.
What about any of the outer villages? Couldn't you escape to there for a while just to get a breather?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

We're actually staying just outside Bromsgrove in the countryside and it's absolute bliss. I'm just using the inner city as a comparison, otherwise it'd all sound too idyllic...and it isn't. The countryside is lovely, but you've got to be able to afford it. The reality of looking at what you can afford in the UK from the proceeds of your 6 bed Sydney home with pool is pretty disturbing!

Originally Posted by cricket1
Wow Ezzie, it sounds like you're badly in need of a change of scenery and a fresh perspective. Inner city Britain isn't the best place to make a comparison on where you'd like to live.
What about any of the outer villages? Couldn't you escape to there for a while just to get a breather?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:39 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We're actually staying just outside Bromsgrove in the countryside and it's absolute bliss. I'm just using the inner city as a comparison, otherwise it'd all sound too idyllic...and it isn't. The countryside is lovely, but you've got to be able to afford it. The reality of looking at what you can afford in the UK from the proceeds of your 6 bed Sydney home with pool is pretty disturbing!
My old home town! Where are you staying?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Upton Warren staying at a farm called 'The Burren' on Berry Lane. It is just gobsmackingly gorgeous. It'd be a dream to live here. It's first thing in the morning here and a lovely sunrise is spreading across the fields.

Originally Posted by TraceyW
My old home town! Where are you staying?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Upton Warren staying at a farm called 'The Burren' on Berry Lane. It is just gobsmackingly gorgeous. It'd be a dream to live here. It's first thing in the morning here and a lovely sunrise is spreading across the fields.
Were you planning on moving back to UK anyway? Do you think you still are after all this?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Driving out of the city was pretty depressing again. It makes you realise how the entire area between the inner and outer ringroads of the city have been taken over by Pakistani's. Not a white face in sight...in fact, not many faces at all as a huge proportion were covered by burkas! It was all pretty ramshackle and obvious where the area stopped as suddenly you'd be driving through neater streets again.

Sounds alot like Lidcombe in Sydney, which they dont show you on the 'moving to Australia' programmes, they only show you the good bits, beaches etc...
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:30 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm originally from Brum and I know what you mean about driving through and out of the city. Last year when we were back visiting we drove out from the Bull Ring towards Solihull and we passed through some pretty horrible areas to get there. Didn't feel like you were in England at all.

Once through them and in to Solihull and Knowle where my relatives live a different picture altogether. From there driving out further to Warwick, Stratford Upon Avon again beautiful places and really what England is all about.

Most cities give bad impressions like that and you always seem to get off the motorway to the rough ends first. I remember when we first moved to Sheffield and hitting the North end of Sheffield it looked horrible but we lived in the South of Sheffield with the peak District on our doorstep and it was beautiful there.

Driving through Perth's various suburbs you see the same - good and bad and it is the same everywhere you go.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just wanted to suss things out....there's just no work here at the moment and it's only going to get worse. I'm the only one in the family who really wanted to come back.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Were you planning on moving back to UK anyway? Do you think you still are after all this?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Know it well. The Swan was a regular haunt of mine. It is pretty pricey though isn't it? That's a problem over here, the Olde England does exist, shame most of us can't afford to live in it!!!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

We drove past the Swan yesterday and 'nearly' stopped in for a drink. We've been too busy filming I'm afraid to do anything enjoyable!

yes, it's shocking how expensive going out is....food is cheaper, wages are less...why does it cost so bloody much for a simple meal out in Britain? I'm truly perplexed by this, if anything, it should be cheaper!

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Know it well. The Swan was a regular haunt of mine. It is pretty pricey though isn't it? That's a problem over here, the Olde England does exist, shame most of us can't afford to live in it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.