Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Have dragged family into filming for a 'Poms thinking about returning to UK' type program. Its been a bit of a rollercoster, but we've now arrived in the UK and have been filmed for the last two days. Yesterday the sun shone and I have to admit that it was nowhere as cold as I thought it would be. I can't tell you how marvellous it was to see the fields, hedgerows and tiny villages as we sped up the motorway. We're staying in a small cottage on a farm-type place....small, but comfy. Not having enough hot water reminded us that we were in England, but then so did the friendliness of people...not a superficial 'how are you' type friendliness, but people who'd stop and chat.

Our trip to the supermarket was fabulous. I was expecting high meat prices and so was pleasantly surprised. The range of food and products was just mindblowing!

We were taken to see a house yesterday...the rooms were teeny...apart from the bathroom, which was enormous. Cracks everywhere, a kitchen with steps in the middle (I'd have broken a leg in no time!). The asking price was 350,000 quid!!!!! They thought we'd be fine with taking out a mortgage, but with the recession it'd be the last thing we'd do. However, after we took ourselves off to an estate agent we found there are properties that would suit us in the 250,000 range - just need to look in different areas, but they are around.

Weather yesterday was typically British - wet, overcast and grey. It didn't spoil the countryside, but driving through some of the inner city areas was pretty bloody grim. In fact we all fell into a bit of depression just looking at it...never mind living there!

We're off to look at a school today - however, it's a grammar school which we'd have NO chance of actually getting our kids into in reality! At least it will provide some benchmark as to standards of ed in the UK.

The thing that we noticed most, if we had to list the main difference, is the level of engagement people have with each other. The weather may have been bleak yesterday, but we generally saw beaming smiles and met some real characters.

Lots to think about, lots to do...I'll write more if anyone's interested!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

I'm interested. It sounds fascinating.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, write more please
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Yes please!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Oohh yeah, keep us updated.. when will it be aired?.. We did a 'little" thing for GMTV this year.. nothing compared to what your doing.. but just a little stint about life as an expat.. Im not sure you can sum it up in 4 minutes though!! Its incredibly nerve wrecking.. but fun.. Enjoy!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

OK, be prepared for further ramblings....the program is actually going to be an hour long session of our family. Daunting....but hopefully will prove useful. Sitting up at 4.40am here with my son...both of us jetlagged. Rest of family could sleep through WWIII!!!

I'm doing bubble & squeek for breakfast (only because we generally fall asleep by the time dinner is cooked and it's getting left).

Another thing I noticed in the city fringes...the number of charity shops...mind boggling! The news is full of redundancies, lay offs and more economic gloom. People generally are now treating Gordon Brown as some financial messiah...just shows how the recent economic crisis has started messing with people's heads!

Just had bowl of Golden Nuggets....luvely! Off to bed for an hours kip.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Yes yes please keep it coming great read
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Yes yes definatly keep the updates coming.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:37 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting Ezzie and yes, would love to hear more, lots more please.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just back from a walk down the lane....had to dodge a few cars travelling at speed and one bugger in a red van tried to splash me....grrrr! But, saw all sorts of lovely chiruppy birds (nb. not one went 'squawk')...little tits and wrens all hopping gracefully around in the hedgerows which were scattered with the bright red berries of rosehips and holly. The greeness of the grass was almost blinding and the orangey red brickwork of the local farm buildings provided a wonderful vista that was good enough to eat.
It's incredibly mild...all of us just had a thin jumper on and could easily be dressed in t-shirts for the walk...yes, really! Rain due later though so the temp may drop then. Right now, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Just back from a walk down the lane....had to dodge a few cars travelling at speed and one bugger in a red van tried to splash me....grrrr! But, saw all sorts of lovely chiruppy birds (nb. not one went 'squawk')...little tits and wrens all hopping gracefully around in the hedgerows which were scattered with the bright red berries of rosehips and holly. The greeness of the grass was almost blinding and the orangey red brickwork of the local farm buildings provided a wonderful vista that was good enough to eat.
It's incredibly mild...all of us just had a thin jumper on and could easily be dressed in t-shirts for the walk...yes, really! Rain due later though so the temp may drop then. Right now, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be.
Sounds lovely, these are all the things I miss (not getting splashed by puddles tho!) It has suddenly occurred to me that in the 13 years I've spent in Adelaide, I haven't been splashed by a puddle once. Mind you, puddles are a pretty rare occurrence in South Australia these days It helps if you have some rain to begin with......
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:41 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
The news is full of redundancies, lay offs and more economic gloom.

Its the not the news any more its the prediction of doom at 9 o'clock.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:46 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Loving reading your posts Ezzie.
Even though i have only recently come back, i was living in a lovely rural seting as you describe. The week before i left they were harvesting the corn. Was so lovely watching all the farmers in the feilds with their harvesters chucking up wheat chaff.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Ezzie, how exciting! We will love to get the updates. I so know what you mean about that blinding green of the vegetation and all the country hedgerows with their seasonal colours. I am so envious of you, I hope it all works out really well!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Where are you in UK ezzie? Sounds lovely, i'm getting all excited about coming back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.