Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Westralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud of
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I was here anyway, so in my case it doesn't make any difference to the population whether I get an Aussie passport or not. But It does make me think that Australia must be desperate for citizens, as they do promote the citizenship thing a fair bit. Why is that? And it is true it was so very easy, alot easier than gaining my PR visa in the first place.

If gaining citizenship here meant I had to give up my UK passport I would not have applied.
There are only two groups of people desperate for population:

1. Corporations as it increases the size of their domestic market.
2. Corporations that want to keep labour costs as low as possible, usually in the resources sector.

For the average wage earner (ie most of us) immigration means competition for jobs that forces salaries and hourly wage rates down. Our foreign trade is centred around extracting and processing resources, neither of which are labour-intensive industries. The reason there is a skill shortage is simply because the mining industry can't keep up with the level of demand from asia. Instead of reducing supply, they'd rather bringing in more people. Great when things are booming like they are now but a dip in demand would mean disaster as we have few other industries to earn foreign exchange from now since the emergence of China and India.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Westralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud ofWestralia has much to be proud of

double post
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westralia
There are only two groups of people desperate for population:

1. Corporations as it increases the size of their domestic market.
2. Corporations that want to keep labour costs as low as possible, usually in the resources sector.

For the average wage earner (ie most of us) immigration means competition for jobs that forces salaries and hourly wage rates down. Our foreign trade is centred around extracting and processing resources, neither of which are labour-intensive industries. The reason there is a skill shortage is simply because the mining industry can't keep up with the level of demand from asia. Instead of reducing supply, they'd rather bringing in more people. Great when things are booming like they are now but a dip in demand would mean disaster as we have few other industries to earn foreign exchange from now since the emergence of China and India.
So Australia could come a cropper then with a dip in demand.

The government must therefore be puppets of these corporations, no surprise there.

Is there an ideal population number for Australia, do you think we ought to tell the government what it is?
Seriously though, it is, as far as I know the easiest country for fully British born and bred families to get into, ie mum, dad, two kids all British born.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:53 am
Just Joined

So Australia could come a cropper then with a dip in demand.

The government must therefore be puppets of these corporations, no surprise there.

Is there an ideal population number for Australia, do you think we ought to tell the government what it is?
Seriously though, it is, as far as I know the easiest country for fully British born and bred families to get into, ie mum, dad, two kids all British born.
Which government isn't in the pockets of corporations or other elites with selfish agendas?

Given our isolation from world markets curtailing trade opportunities and lack of water, I believe not many more than we have now.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
That's not what your government were saying a few years ago. with the natural born aussies not keen on a) having kids in the first place or b) not having many kids the population wouldn't be able to survive without immigrants. Maybe it is so boring in the first place that having kids would make it mind numbing.
I have said this to point a fact out to you not because i hate Australia, never have, never will. But we have three adult nieces and nephews in aus ranging from 38 to 30 years and only one has got children (2 to be precise). the other 2 are nowhere near having kids and probably won't have any. This is reflected in all their friends as well.
Your way of thinking is typical Australian, he-man stylie. maybe if you all stopped being so anal and relaxed about your country a bit you might not put people off.
after all as the saying goes. me thinks you protest too much .
I actually like Westralias style. Rebellious. I find alot of Australians follow the brainwashed crowd. I also don't know where Westralia is from, but I do assume they are an Australian?

Well are you........
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Which government isn't in the pockets of corporations or other elites with selfish agendas?

Given our isolation from world markets curtailing trade opportunities and lack of water, I believe not many more than we have now.
Exactly. Agreed.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:56 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Well are you........
Who me?
No i am english. and if i had had to give up my passport i owuldn't have applied either.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Who me?
No i am english. and if i had had to give up my passport i owuldn't have applied either.
Oh no, sorry Louise, not you! Didn't come out right that one. Sorry!!!
That was directed at Westralia, I was wondering if they are an Aussie. Apologies.

Have you got citizenship then?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:02 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, sorry Louise, not you! Didn't come out right that one. Sorry!!!
That was directed at Westralia, I was wondering if they are an Aussie. Apologies.

Have you got citizenship then?
No we don't have citizen ship. We are back in blighty and loving it .
If it had been required to hand over your brit passport when you gained PR or Citizenship i don't think i would have bothered in the first place. Just because you take citizenship in another country what right does that country have to demand that you give up your country of birth. That just smacks of playgound madness to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

No we don't have citizen ship. We are back in blighty and loving it .
If it had been required to hand over your brit passport when you gained PR or Citizenship i don't think i would have bothered in the first place. Just because you take citizenship in another country what right does that country have to demand that you give up your country of birth. That just smacks of playgound madness to me.
As I recall, Aussies were required to give up their Aussie passport when gaining UK citizenship prior to April 2002.

I am sure I will be corrected on that if I am wrong.

I certainly wouldn't have even moved here if it meant giving up my UK passport just for getting a PR visa. That would be crazy.

I wish I was back in blighty, I am envious.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone would think we are desperate for more people here. We aren't.
You have an ageing population, a low birth rate, too many scroungers and not enough taxpayers to fund the economy. Hence your govt's huge immigration programme.

But in terms of natural resources, I don't believe the population growth targets are particularly well thought out.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:10 am
forever hopeful

As I recall, Aussies were required to give up their Aussie passport when gaining UK citizenship prior to April 2002.

I am sure I will be corrected on that if I am wrong.

I certainly wouldn't have even moved here if it meant giving up my UK passport just for getting a PR visa. That would be crazy.

I wish I was back in blighty, I am envious.
Surley that comes from their government though not ours. we have thousands of people carrying dual citizenship here, or am i wrong . Does the UK allow people to carry dual citizenship?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:13 am
forever hopeful

Answered my own question

The British Consul exists to protect the interests of British nationals abroad. Some British citizens have dual nationality, meaning they are also nationals of another country. Being a dual national can affect the level of consular help you receive.

Help from the British Consul

If you are a dual national and are in the country of your other nationality, the British Consul cannot formally help you, though it will aim to do what it can to help informally.

The British Consul cannot:

• start or intervene in court proceedings for you
  • get you out of prison
  • give you legal advice
  • get better standards of treatment for you than those provided by the authorities to local people, for example, in hospitals or prisons
  • investigate a crime
  • pay any bills for you (including medical and legal aid)
  • pay for travel tickets, unless special circumstances apply
  • get residence or work permits
  • sort out accommodation for you
  • act as a travel agent, airline, bank or motoring organisation

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Surley that comes from their government though not ours. we have thousands of people carrying dual citizenship here, or am i wrong . Does the UK allow people to carry dual citizenship?
Yeah, I don't know any details. But it could have been a requirement from the Aussie government not the UK one.
And I'm not totally sure of my facts on renouncing your citizenship.

Last edited by Rosie Cheeks; Dec 3rd 2006 at 8:20 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:16 am
Just Joined

I actually like Westralias style. Rebellious. I find alot of Australians follow the brainwashed crowd. I also don't know where Westralia is from, but I do assume they are an Australian?

Well are you........
WA born and bred. 5th generation Australian.
Our culture has been in a permanent state of flux since Australia's inception. I can understand why migrants that are dissatisfied with certain aspects of the Australian way of life. However, we haven't been afforded periods of population stability European countries have to develop a common culture. This has been worsened with post 1970's policies of multiculturalism - the sanitised term for ethnic segregation.

I would recommend to anyone considering migrating here to take a map of Australia and replace the uninhabited interior desert regions with ocean, leaving strips of coastline and small islands not too dissimilar from the Indonesian archipelego. This will give you a visual representation of the unique, near on insurmountable difficulties associated with developing a strong cultural identity to rival european ones you have become accustomed to and understandably notice the absense of here.

At the same time, I am not meaning to disparage my culture to appease those disillusioned with the life here. It is what it is for the reasons above and won't be changing in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.