Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:26 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Well I was hoping to be going back in time for teh school year this year ...
But of course it is all hindered on a job for OH.

Can't complain as I am at home with 3, soon to be 4 children. (well I do complain but doesn't get anywhere - so I joined this website).

OH was highly thought of in his field in Scotland and his old company will take him back as soon as they have the work in the company (well can hardly ask them to kick someone off the team).
So hoping that it will be the early part of next year.

My fingers and toes are crossed for that.

OH doesn't mind where we live, (and his theory is that we are here now so why move again) but I want to go back as I feel that life is dead here in NZ. I changed too much in my time away to settle back here. I got used to history and culture and humour all around, and it just isn't here.

So we too, are just going with the flow and I am hoping and praying that something comes up soon. I am clearing out cupboards and kids drawers of out grown stuff. Researching what to ship and what to sell etc while I wait for d-day.

Of course I threaten to book the kids and my tickets one way regularily and the other day my OH told me that that was fine - just to give him the news whilst stripping off - If it gets us home and him a happy man - Not a problem.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Your friends, are your friends.....

Love that KentishLass and so, so true. I've kept in close contact with my girlfriends for 7 years of being away and they are a huge part of my return. I realise I could never replace them. They've been with me (trans-Atlantic) through 2 births, a miscarriage, a ruptured achilels, my father dying and countless other moments. I'll trade that for anything I have here......and I am.....as of Nov.....gone.......yipeeeeee......here on the other hand I feel I've been shunned as our leave date gets closer. It's a social punishment and I've seen it happen before to someone else. Bizarre, sad, and mean I think but all the more reason to go!

Have a fantastic time with your friends!
I've read a couple of posts where people have commented about being 'socially shunned' after making the descision to return to the UK. Why do you think this is?
I hope it doesn't happen to me, as I have made a few good friends here and would like to remain so.

I guess they feel a bit betrayed as they have opened up to you and welcomed you to their 'home'.

We have had fantastic opportunities here and hubby is about to start a great job working for a huge company. After 3 years we are finally financially secure, and earning the comparison to what we did in England.
I too have a great job working in a Travel Agency with the hours I want.

But...it doesn't make me happy enough to stay.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:26 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I've read a couple of posts where people have commented about being 'socially shunned' after making the descision to return to the UK. Why do you think this is?
I hope it doesn't happen to me, as I have made a few good friends here and would like to remain so.

I guess they feel a bit betrayed as they have opened up to you and welcomed you to their 'home'.

We have had fantastic opportunities here and hubby is about to start a great job working for a huge company. After 3 years we are finally financially secure, and earning the comparison to what we did in England.

I hope it won't happen to you! I feel like there's an elephant in the room all the time and that we are the subject of much discussion. We are constantly being 'advised' what to do even down to out 2 month road trip. I think they may have good intentions but I'm honestly not sure some days!

I have a new baby (so not a great deal of sleep) and had vertigo/ear infection so was pretty ill for a while, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Friends would go off to places I couldn't venture on a good day never mind with a spinning head. It was really grim and again I felt very isolated. My girlfriends in the UK called daily as they were so worried. They're so sweet and confirm my reasons for going home. I have the most loving, funny, loyal and dynamic friends and I can't wait to share good and bad times with them again.

I do have a couple of friends here who have shown 100% love and support. We'll miss them terribly but they've promised to come over. They both love the UK so we'll see them again. I think those that are critical of our move are doubting their own existance here.

Your true friends will support you regardless of whether you stay or go. And goodness....the job thing will be tricky to leave eh? Life is so COMPLICATED!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
E-mailed a friend in England as soon as I booked for my trip home. She has just phoned me and we have had such a laugh. We are so looking forward to seeing each other again. I stayed for a while, with her and her family, 3 years ago and before that it was 3 years before that when we left. Your friends are your friends are your friends. No-one comes close here. She told me some local gossip and is spreading the word that I'm coming. Can't wait.

I have wonderful friends in the U>S but my best mate in the entire world is in the UK and when i speak to her or visit it is like not a day past, I may move back by early net year, it will be nice to have kids and grow old having a cuppa once or twice a week with my child hood BFF, they get the laughs and all the silly crap we did so much more than anyone here would,i miss the realness... good luck girl!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I hope it won't happen to you! I feel like there's an elephant in the room all the time and that we are the subject of much discussion. We are constantly being 'advised' what to do even down to out 2 month road trip. I think they may have good intentions but I'm honestly not sure some days!

I have a new baby (so not a great deal of sleep) and had vertigo/ear infection so was pretty ill for a while, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Friends would go off to places I couldn't venture on a good day never mind with a spinning head. It was really grim and again I felt very isolated. My girlfriends in the UK called daily as they were so worried. They're so sweet and confirm my reasons for going home. I have the most loving, funny, loyal and dynamic friends and I can't wait to share good and bad times with them again.

I do have a couple of friends here who have shown 100% love and support. We'll miss them terribly but they've promised to come over. They both love the UK so we'll see them again. I think those that are critical of our move are doubting their own existance here.

Your true friends will support you regardless of whether you stay or go. And goodness....the job thing will be tricky to leave eh? Life is so COMPLICATED!

I completely understand I have mates here, but nnot like home... just to have a laugh and a cuppa and feel at home again would be lovely, i have been in florida since i was 12 and now i am 32 and still never really felt at home. i know gettting a job and getting set up will be tricky but right now i am inbetween jobs have lost everything and living out my friends spare room ,so england is sounding lovely right now.. good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killerhales
I've posted a couple of times about our plans to return in early 2012, which have been triggered by my daughter's plan to attend uni in the UK. My wife and I are in any case both ready to spend some time back in the old country (we left in 1995).

There are a few of us on here that would love to return but can't, or are not sure when, and there are others that are in the process of moving right now, plus a few who have made the move and are reporting back on how they are going.

So maybe we can have a thread for the "inbetweenies", who have a definite plan, but it is still a way off. In my own case I have posted before about how to stay motivated and avoid a state of mind where we are just ticking off the months (18 months is a long time with hopefully a lot of positive life experiences to enjoy!).

Are you in similar circumstances? What has been the trigger for you, or has it been more of a gradual realisation? Or do you have a general desire to return that you need to firm up on and turn into a concrete plan?

We have taken a big step in getting a UK mortgage to go alongside our Aussie one, and we have bought a house in the UK. Next week our first tenant will move in. We have never been landlords before so this in itself is a new experience.

What steps, however small, have you taken to turn your desire to return into reality?
My boyfriend and I are planning on going home to Dublin within the next two years. We have been in Australia since July 2008 (oh, how those 2 years have flown by) and, while I enjoy living here sometimes, most of the time I wish to be back in rainy Ireland with my family and friends around me.

We will likely be moving to Melbourne in February/March 2011 and will live there until July 2012 at which stage we will apply for our Australian citizenship. After this we will hopefully move back to Ireland where there will be numerous well paid jobs.

I cannot wait to get back to Ireland however circumstances at the moment mean that we need to stay here.

I am enjoying plannning our return home and will be following this thread to hear of other people's plans about returning home!!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Wow, there seem to be so many of us and quite a few in Canada too.
We are hoping to head back in the next year or so, I would love to think it will be next year , hubby is thinking 2 years but that is because he is more worried about the economy than I am.
We have just sold our house (which is a huge relief) and are moving into rented accomodation . We are going to try and make the most of the time we have left and renting will hopefully give us a bit more cash to do that.
I think our time here has taught me a lot, I find the people here a bit too conformist and suburban life is just too dull. Looking forward to getting back to somewhere with a bit of life- warts and all.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

After 5 years of being unhappy here and accepting that my feelings aren't going to change. I'm having to look long term before i can return.
Eldest daughter is 15, so would be unfair to disrupt her education now. Plus she is happy here If i focus on when she finishes school youngest will then be 15! same problem.
To keep me going, i tell myself that i will head home when the youngest reaches 18. It might be that i have to return alone If thats the case i might not be brave enough but the wishful thinking helps me get through my day.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We have to wait till Ds#2 graduates from High school in 2012, so any time after that for us, he wants to return and become a policeman.
Just checking you or he has researched this element too. I think joining any UK force now, you have to have been a resident in the country for the three years preceding your application (bit like the university fees ).

I'm pretty sure this is the case so just a heads up (but don't take me as gospel). No harm in a few years of life experience before joining anyway
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
After 5 years of being unhappy here and accepting that my feelings aren't going to change. I'm having to look long term before i can return.
Eldest daughter is 15, so would be unfair to disrupt her education now. Plus she is happy here If i focus on when she finishes school youngest will then be 15! same problem.
To keep me going, i tell myself that i will head home when the youngest reaches 18. It might be that i have to return alone If thats the case i might not be brave enough but the wishful thinking helps me get through my day.
I live in the USA been here 13 year twins 18 next month and a 19 year old, I too will probably be going home alone... i have been here and unhappy for all the 13 years........wanting to go back but put the family first and now.......58 years old and may have to go it alone. My plans are in the works, I have made enquiries about my pension, found out I still have a bank account open.... going back for 8 weeks in Sept. ( my family dont know yet) My mum is 88 and I want to spend time with her, I have missed so much and I know my family have missed us all so much too..all those Christmases spent with out us and us with out them.......
Applied for my Citizenship this past week,my family are all US citizens.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I dont really belong here as I am British and moving back to Australia. We lived in Australia from 2002 until 2005 and to be honest looking back I didnt make the most of the opportunities that came my way before we decided to move back to the UK.

After the first year back in the UK it slowly became apparent that we had made a bad decision. Australia has it's fair share of social issues but the chav culture that seems to have taken hold here now is pretty bad.

My son was born a few years ago and that really changed our view points, we took him over to Australia at 6 months old to meet some family and we loved it. I know it was just a holiday, but being a bit more mature (was early 20's when I was there originally and straight out of Uni) I was just able to apprechiate what was on offer more.

We have just been through the coldest winter since 1979 in the UK. From around the 19th December until the 14th January we had snow on the ground and every day the temp was close to freezing, dropping to -12c some nights. The car got stuck, we couldnt get public transport to work as they were either on strike or wouldnt run in the conditions, it really ground us down and motivated out move back to Australia even more.

I wish we remained in Australia back in 2005 and never thought about coming back to the UK, it would have savend much time and finances, I feel sick when I think about the money we have wasted.

But we have a family now and we are in our early 30's and now is the time to settle for good.

All we have to do if we get home sick for the UK again is think of winter 2009/10 and what a shocker it was.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Wow, there seem to be so many of us and quite a few in Canada too.
We are hoping to head back in the next year or so, I would love to think it will be next year , hubby is thinking 2 years but that is because he is more worried about the economy than I am.
We have just sold our house (which is a huge relief) and are moving into rented accomodation . We are going to try and make the most of the time we have left and renting will hopefully give us a bit more cash to do that.
I think our time here has taught me a lot, I find the people here a bit too conformist and suburban life is just too dull. Looking forward to getting back to somewhere with a bit of life- warts and all.
The economy is on a knife edge here at the moment and I can understand his concerns. I work in the public sector here and I feel the axe every day ready to fall on me. Unemployment will hit the 3 million mark by early next year I would think as the public sector cut backs take hold in the Autumn. The private sector will not generate enough jobs to take the potential flood of public sector redundancies, it is hard here at the moment, lots of uncertainties.

Personally I can't wait to jump ship and get out of the UK again asap. Not saying that Australia will be any better, but at least they regulated their banks better and have vast natural resources which helped shelter them from the worst.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:31 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I guess I dont really belong here as I am British and moving back to Australia. We lived in Australia from 2002 until 2005 and to be honest looking back I didnt make the most of the opportunities that came my way before we decided to move back to the UK.

After the first year back in the UK it slowly became apparent that we had made a bad decision. Australia has it's fair share of social issues but the chav culture that seems to have taken hold here now is pretty bad.

My son was born a few years ago and that really changed our view points, we took him over to Australia at 6 months old to meet some family and we loved it. I know it was just a holiday, but being a bit more mature (was early 20's when I was there originally and straight out of Uni) I was just able to apprechiate what was on offer more.

We have just been through the coldest winter since 1979 in the UK. From around the 19th December until the 14th January we had snow on the ground and every day the temp was close to freezing, dropping to -12c some nights. The car got stuck, we couldnt get public transport to work as they were either on strike or wouldnt run in the conditions, it really ground us down and motivated out move back to Australia even more.

I wish we remained in Australia back in 2005 and never thought about coming back to the UK, it would have savend much time and finances, I feel sick when I think about the money we have wasted.

But we have a family now and we are in our early 30's and now is the time to settle for good.

All we have to do if we get home sick for the UK again is think of winter 2009/10 and what a shocker it was.
only -12? you're lucky

Mind you, this winter was relatively mild compared to the last 2 we were here. The lowest this year was -19 compared to -30/35 last year

That's one thing I really appreciate here in Canada - it snows and the ploughs come out. There are no delays, life just carries on as normal.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorry1

When we left Australia we were not shunned so much at that end, but in the UK I would say it has been difficult.

When I talk to a person about my past or in an interview for a job the response is always the same 'Why on earth would you come back'. At work I am always that crazy person who went to Australia and was insane enough to return. It does grind you down after a while.

Unfortunatley in my line of work I have come in contact with people who have tried and failed to get to Australia
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:24 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Jon77
When we left Australia we were not shunned so much at that end, but in the UK I would say it has been difficult.

When I talk to a person about my past or in an interview for a job the response is always the same 'Why on earth would you come back'. At work I am always that crazy person who went to Australia and was insane enough to return. It does grind you down after a while.

Unfortunatley in my line of work I have come in contact with people who have tried and failed to get to Australia
That's harsh!
The thing people don't understand is how tough it is to be away from friends and family. I definately appreciate the UK more now that I have been away for 3 years.
It all seems so lovely and easy to emigrate but in reality when you have left, it's really tough!

You just have to learn to brush it off and remember why you left OZ. People think you're mad returning, but they haven't left their lives, friends and families and can't appreciate how tough that is!

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 19th 2010 at 1:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.