I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:59 am
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

I must say that we felt quite "accepted" when we moved to Canada in the late 80's. In fact many Canadians had connections with the UK in one way or another, and if they didnt they seemed to be quite fascinated with and wanted to visit the UK.

When we arrived we were invited to a Brit ex-pats meeting, and we attended with a view to meeting others and making friends. What we found was a bunch if people "stuck" in 50's/60's Britain, living in Canada. They had effectively transferred their lives to Canada and needed to keep to themselves.

We did not join that club and never returned.

We did find that many Brits came across as moaners; in fact an English friend called them "Whinging Brits" because they complained about everything not being as good as it was back in the UK.

So our reasons for returning to the UK did not include not being accepted. In fact, having moved back to the UK six years ago, we found it harder to meet and make friends here than we did in Canada. And I might add that we found North Americans, in general, more straightforward and assertive than those we have met in England; a trait that we appreciated. Many we now know say one thing and mean another, in order to be polite.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Canada has changed a lot for the worse, there is more people but more culture in the UK.
I'm curious. In what way worse?

In my early years here I was always frustrated by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude to things that either were broke or never worked in the first place.

"It's the way it is" has always annoyed me and it still exists but I do find that some of these things have changed and the more that people can see a change is an improvement, the more accepting of change they may be.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:34 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm curious. In what way worse?

In my early years here I was always frustrated by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude to things that either were broke or never worked in the first place.

"It's the way it is" has always annoyed me and it still exists but I do find that some of these things have changed and the more that people can see a change is an improvement, the more accepting of change they may be.
Dr Pangloss, I presume?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Dr Pangloss, I presume?
Speaking candidely?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes. Not all change is good, as the last few days have shown.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 8:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Dr Pangloss, I presume?
I had to look that up.

NB has caught up with Canada regarding abortion availability.

The province stopped being the only one without a catastrophic drug program about three years ago. It was very unaffordable initially but now it is very affordable. Lowest income group (but still way above social assistance levels) can get coverage for $16 a month and $5 per prescription.

NB has just introduced free tuition for students in families with less than $60k income rather than tax breaks for the wealthier people that previously existed.

These are good things and grounds for optimism.

Nationally, Harper has been replaced.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

National Trust
English Heritage
Tate Modern
National Portrait gallery
Victoria and Albert Museum
Imperial War Museum

AND.....man many other museums and over 300 Roman sites abreast the UK, many concert Halls, opera, Plays...............where does one stop....
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Gizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond reputeGizwhizz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the UK has all of these great cultural aspects and has accrued them over a huge period of time. Did you ever come to Canada expecting Roman remains? (Mind you if you want old there are some rather fabulous dinosaur bones in Drumheller)
i admit to being pretty bored with the lifestyle here but that is my fault rather than Canada's.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I lived in Edmonton Alberta. Edmo has a world class symphony orchestra, an opera house, a city art gallery plus several private galleries, a jazz club, a good museum, theatres, a zoo, and a botanic garden. It also has three universities. Each year it hosts a folk music festival, a fringe theatre festival, a jazz festival, and a fine art week. I could go on. I'd say that culturally it offered more than most British cities of a comparable size.

This week, I got notification that a member of the writers' group I helped found has just had a novel published, the third book from the group as a whole.

IMO Canada as a whole punches above its weight in the arts, particularly literature. I believe there is considerably more state support for artistic production than in the UK, one example being the Banff Centre, which I was fortunate to spend a week at. I can't think of any comparable place in the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Lana51 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear you Trish... Feeling exactly the same, completely trapped!
We have been here for nearly nine years and can just not adapt to this passive aggressive and controlling culture, we find it really unpleasant and almost intolerable to live with and absolutely do not want to spend too much longer here, just need to make a plan that doesn't disrupt our children's education!
Hugs xx
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Lana51 is an unknown quantity at this point

on a positive note, would like to add that we spent two years in Alberta and it could have been another Country as people are delightful as opposed to Ontario!!!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lana51
I hear you Trish... Feeling exactly the same, completely trapped!
We have been here for nearly nine years and can just not adapt to this passive aggressive and controlling culture, we find it really unpleasant and almost intolerable to live with and absolutely do not want to spend too much longer here, just need to make a plan that doesn't disrupt our children's education!
Hugs xx
Thanks missus and hugs back. Hope you come up with a plan that works for your family.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In what was is it a "passive-aggressive and controlling culture" ? Is it vreally so different from back home ?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by scot47
In what was is it a "passive-aggressive and controlling culture" ? Is it vreally so different from back home ?
Well there is the 'We must do dinner some time' thing, which translates as 'You will never hear from me again.' But I think that is common to the USA as well.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is the 'We must do dinner some time' thing, which translates as 'You will never hear from me again.' But I think that is common to the USA as well.
I had that regularly in Canada with everyone I met. I would say that would be nice, hand over ph. No. Or email and nothing! In England usually we say that would be nice, when? then make a date in future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.