Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:26 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by pomikev
I just met a woman who went back to the UK with her husband (both ex-pats) for xmas after a long long time living in oz, their world has imploded since they got back from that trip.

He wont eat australian food, says it's shit, they spent the whole time in the Uk just eating delicious things with real flavour she reckoned lol, they took their son (under 10 year old) who has always lived in australia and apparently he ate sausages the whole time, and couldn't believe just how good the food was there and how gristly and cardboardy and absolutely shitty is is here.

She said everything was really cheap, the Tv was 100 times better, the people were 100 times more intelligent, friendly, informed and good spirited, the public transport was a dream, the list went on and on.....

So what was going to be a one off holiday has turned into "How the hell can we even stay here for another week, lets just sell everything and go back for good - Australia is a shadow of it's former self, a fraction of what it's made out to be and a cultural black hole of low grade everything, third rate political satire and infantile media.

She got me all riled up too and together we were ready to march to the airport today for a while there lmao.

So that kind of sealed it for me too Betty, no more denying the truth to myself, no more waiting and hoping that the feelings of homesickness and discontent will pass, no more trying to make the best of a bad situation, I have decided to go home to the UK as soon as I can, it's going to take realistically a few months to put all the pieces in place but it is a definite decision that I made an hour ago in the car driving home from meeting this amazing fellow ex pat that just put the situation into perfect words with no holds barred and everything she said struck right through my heart.

See you for a pint in real pub within the year Betty, and we'll go have some cod and chips afterwards, my shout.

Wow that's fantastic Kev, good on you! Sometimes just making the decision is the hardest part, once I did I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders

So any ideas where you will live? Will you find it easy to get work? How long have you been in Oz? So many questions lol! I'm excited for you!

You buy the pints and I'll get the fish and chips, can't say fairer than that lol! Keep us posted on how you go and it goes without saying the very very best of luck to you!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 6th 2013 at 3:33 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:54 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Wow that's fantastic Kev, good on you! Sometimes just making the decision is the hardest part, once I did I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders

So any ideas where you will live? Will you find it easy to get work? How long have you been in Oz? So many questions lol! I'm excited for you!

You buy the pints and I'll get the fish and chips, can't say fairer than that lol! Keep us posted on how you go and it goes without saying the very very best of luck to you!
I was born and grew up in Dawlish - Devon.

I've been here in Oz since 1989 - i left the UK in 86 turning my back on Thatchers Britain (when I was 16 the careers officer came to our school one day and showed us all how to fill out a UB40) so as soon as I was old enough to get a passport I fled to florida with 80 USD in my pocket, in those days virgin atlantic was doing one way flights from gatwick to miami for 80 quid and I got a 3 month tourist visa and spent 3 years backpacking around the USA without a work permit or a visa lol, that was fun, my old outlaw days.

I came to Australia for a look around and just got stuck, the intention was to keep going and see the far east and india but I never got any further than the east coast of NSW, I fell in love, got married, had a daughter and just ended up staying here, money has always been a bit tight and I was never rich to begin with so I have just kind of muddled my way through life here always with the little voice in the back of my brain telling me it was only a temporary situation. I have never been back, I've actually lived outside of the UK for longer than I ever lived there but never stopped feeling English.

Australia was bearable when I was in my 20's, I don't remember my 30's as i was working so damn hard and my 40's hit me like a freight train, now aged 46 I am totally over Australia and just have to go home. My family all still live in Dawlish and I have never ever found it hard to get work anywhere in the world, i just keep door knocking 8 hours a day everyday until I get a start, it's never taken more than a few days to get a job i think if you really want one and are prepared to humble yourself occasionally then there is no excuse for anyone not working.

Someone once told me, "Dress for the job you want not the job you have", I'll never forget that disciplinary meeting where i was wearing my batman costume

Looking forward to finally completing my round the world adventure, it's only taken 30 years lol. Even though I whinge (hey I'm a pom I'm just acting out the stereotype to make the Australians around me feel secure) I don't regret a single day of my globetrotting adventures, I could have taken that careers advisers advice back in the 80's and just gone on the dole for life, lots of the kids i went to school with did just that, but life is what you make it and I haven't stopped dancing yet
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:54 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Australia was bearable when I was in my 20's, I don't remember my 30's as i was working so damn hard and my 40's hit me like a freight train, now aged 46 I am totally over Australia and just have to go home.

Wow! Substitute Canada for Australia and you have just described me too. I liked it in my twenties, despite the dire music, TV, Radio etc, but when I look back I was living a British life in Canada, as most of my pals were Brits. We have been back since August and so far, I haven't looked back. I know we are in the honeymoon period, but I feel more alive than I have in years.

If you had told me, that one day, I would be in the village Panto, I would have laughed. But, this weekend I will playing an Ugly Sister and dancing to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" on stage. YIKES!!!! It has been a long road from making the decision to move and my Panto debut, but worth every minute. I wish you the best in your journey and I have to add that BE is great for helping everyone along the way.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:54 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and grew up in Dawlish - Devon.

I've been here in Oz since 1989 - i left the UK in 86 turning my back on Thatchers Britain (when I was 16 the careers officer came to our school one day and showed us all how to fill out a UB40) so as soon as I was old enough to get a passport I fled to florida with 80 USD in my pocket, in those days virgin atlantic was doing one way flights from gatwick to miami for 80 quid and I got a 3 month tourist visa and spent 3 years backpacking around the USA without a work permit or a visa lol, that was fun, my old outlaw days.

I came to Australia for a look around and just got stuck, the intention was to keep going and see the far east and india but I never got any further than the east coast of NSW, I fell in love, got married, had a daughter and just ended up staying here, money has always been a bit tight and I was never rich to begin with so I have just kind of muddled my way through life here always with the little voice in the back of my brain telling me it was only a temporary situation. I have never been back, I've actually lived outside of the UK for longer than I ever lived there but never stopped feeling English.

Australia was bearable when I was in my 20's, I don't remember my 30's as i was working so damn hard and my 40's hit me like a freight train, now aged 46 I am totally over Australia and just have to go home. My family all still live in Dawlish and I have never ever found it hard to get work anywhere in the world, i just keep door knocking 8 hours a day everyday until I get a start, it's never taken more than a few days to get a job i think if you really want one and are prepared to humble yourself occasionally then there is no excuse for anyone not working.

Someone once told me, "Dress for the job you want not the job you have", I'll never forget that disciplinary meeting where i was wearing my batman costume

Looking forward to finally completing my round the world adventure, it's only taken 30 years lol. Even though I whinge (hey I'm a pom I'm just acting out the stereotype to make the Australians around me feel secure) I don't regret a single day of my globetrotting adventures, I could have taken that careers advisers advice back in the 80's and just gone on the dole for life, lots of the kids i went to school with did just that, but life is what you make it and I haven't stopped dancing yet
Great post, really enjoyed reading that! You sound so positive and happy now you've made up your mind about your next adventure

I'm the same age as you and I don't feel ready for the scrap heap just yet, some of things I really miss about the UK apart from family etc is the British sense of humour and great nights out!

Keep us posted, the support I have had on BE is amazing, kept me going when I felt I had no one to talk to and I felt so alone and fed up
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:56 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by lf1
Australia was bearable when I was in my 20's, I don't remember my 30's as i was working so damn hard and my 40's hit me like a freight train, now aged 46 I am totally over Australia and just have to go home.

Wow! Substitute Canada for Australia and you have just described me too. I liked it in my twenties, despite the dire music, TV, Radio etc, but when I look back I was living a British life in Canada, as most of my pals were Brits. We have been back since August and so far, I haven't looked back. I know we are in the honeymoon period, but I feel more alive than I have in years.

If you had told me, that one day, I would be in the village Panto, I would have laughed. But, this weekend I will playing an Ugly Sister and dancing to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" on stage. YIKES!!!! It has been a long road from making the decision to move and my Panto debut, but worth every minute. I wish you the best in your journey and I have to add that BE is great for helping everyone along the way.
Love it, that sounds like so much fun, break a leg as they say lol!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:07 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! Just add an 'o' onto everything and you will be fluent in S'tralian Jemima, I must admit I do love their expressions here!

For example avro (afternoon), servo (service station), smoko (tea break, cigs optional!), and, my personal favourite, drongo (stupid person) oh and add an 'o' on to most names too

In a sentence? No problems! "Jeez Davo is such a drongo, sent him down the servo at smoko this avro and he came back 4 hours later cos he went the wrong way! I'm sure the bloody blokes gone troppo!"
Totally brilliant ! In NZ you just put 'ay' or 'eh' on to everything. Car won't start ? Best call the AA Ray, eh ?

BTW Drongo is a personal favourite of mine too ! Although I understand it's a actually the name of a bird who is probably not stupid but when Drongo is used for a person it means stupid. I also like 'troglodite' it means cave dweller so is an apt description for some people in this world.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 6th 2013 at 9:10 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:30 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Totally brilliant ! In NZ you just put 'ay' or 'eh' on to everything. Car won't start ? Best call the AA Ray, eh ?

BTW Drongo is a personal favourite of mine too ! Although I understand it's a actually the name of a bird who is probably not stupid but when Drongo is used for a person it means stupid. I also like 'troglodite' it means cave dweller so is an apt description for some people in this world.

I like "Strewth" and Fcknoath"
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Strewth!! fair go you lot, all youse blokes n sheilas need ta give a bloke a fair crack/shake of the sav/suck of the sauce bottle.

We allus speak the pommy lingo down here in gods country so hooroo I'm orf ta hava Capt'n Cook in the eskie n' see how many tinnies I got left.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:28 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
Strewth!! fair go you lot, all youse blokes n sheilas need ta give a bloke a fair crack/shake of the sav/suck of the sauce bottle.

We allus speak the pommy lingo down here in gods country so hooroo I'm orf ta hava Capt'n Cook in the eskie n' see how many tinnies I got left.
PMSL! Ya wouldn't read about it would ya?! Lol!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:50 pm
Banned

Cut to fishing show, some bloke standing there holding a large fish - "HOW GOOD IS THAT ?"

One of the many reasons I no longer have a TV.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Cut to fishing show, some bloke standing there holding a large fish - "HOW GOOD IS THAT ?"

And for my 300 post I am not quite sure I get this joke but it would seem Australians and the US share some common pastimes
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vikingsail
And for my 300 post I am not quite sure I get this joke but it would seem Australians and the US share some common pastimes
yer!! bulldust n' barbies.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Less of a joke, more 'dear God' is that it ?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:02 am
Practical Paramedic

Another thing that cracks me up is how easy it is to get your wires crossed here, we think we speak the same language but we don't!

One thing I've learnt about Oz is that it is what it is. 8 mile beach, a beach that's 8 miles long, One Tree Hill, a hill with one tree on it - you get the picture!

I had another medic once telling me about a pt who was uncontrollable as he'd been "drinking lady in the boat all day". Cue much laughter from myself and another Pommy medic as that means something rather er..... rude where we come from! We finally managed to get it out of him that the pt had been drinking Moselle from a cask, a cask that had a picture on it of (wait for it) a lady in a boat! Confusion solved lol!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 7th 2013 at 6:28 am.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:54 am
Banned

Another thing that cracks me up is how easy it is to get your wires crossed here, we think we speak the same language but we don't!

One thing I've learnt about Oz is that it is what it is. 8 mile beach, a beach that's 8 miles long, One Tree Hill, a hill with one tree on it - you get the picture!

I had another medic once telling me about a pt who was uncontrollable as he'd been "drinking lady in the boat all day". Cue much laughter from myself and another Pommy medic as that means something rather er..... rude where we come from! We finally managed to get it out of him that the pt had been drinking Moselle from a cask, a cask that had a picture on it of (wait for it) a lady in a boat! Confusion solved lol!!!
Classic, maybe it's easier for the average aussie to think in pictures instead of words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.