Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

thanks you two!

yes feeling better, i think
you know, ive only emailed a v few people in uk on a "needs to know" basis at the mo...already 2 replies which said after itd be nice to see me again etc etc " what are u thinking of coming back HERE?!, grey skies, we all have colds, freezing etc"
its true, perhaps you have to leave the country to appreciate it.....

i think they'll be a lot more of that to come, so will have to get support from you lot as the ones that can look beyond it a bit more

c x
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Well, we did it!
guess what?!!!
flights booked today for 12th April!!!! and :scared:
whatever the decision, the indecision somehow seemed worse....
best wishes
c
x
Great, as you say the indecision is the worst, you must let us know how you get on when you get back, nice time of year to return too
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:15 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we did it!
guess what?!!!
flights booked today for 12th April!!!! and :scared:
whatever the decision, the indecision somehow seemed worse....
best wishes
c
x
Great! The 'decision-made' phase is brilliant. And you leave on my brithday!! We leave on about 21 April. So much to look forward to.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:25 am
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Oh it's chilly, but it's not THAT bad! Where in the UK are you returning to?

Welcome back !

-Becs
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becs
Oh it's chilly, but it's not THAT bad! Where in the UK are you returning to?

Welcome back !

-Becs
thank you all

we used to live in newmarket, and are looking at renting in a village outside there til we find our feet. i was looking at rightmove.co.uk today re houses for sale. there was one in our first old street when we first moved there, we bought it for about £47,000, its going for £160,000 and were coming back with about £15,000
its v scarey when i think about how far backwards we have gone in the housing market. Got to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it.
hopefully, the sheer relief of being home will compensate

so yes, opening thread, its v hard to make that decision to return. but if i tried to imagine 5yrs from now..still here. i'd be stuck in the northern suburbs with no real chance to move to anywhere else with more character (prices gone up here too) and the longer it went on , the more i felt "me" was disappearing. i feel totally different here - i never laugh really etc, and every day i felt i was loosing my spirit.
so for me, imagining 5 years from now in the uk...well I'll have something to aim towards if nothing else and to feel human again will be priceless!
i agree with (was it jad n rich?) who said to go while OH agrees and kids cant complain - you can always come back if its a real bad decision, but to leave it too late and think "what if" may break your heart.

hope that didnt make you feel worse...its horrible being in a quandry but it WILL sort itself out.
take care
c x
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:01 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PADDAD
We have in Brisbane for over 2 and half years and yesterday received our Australian citizenship.

However we have been in a state of confusion for sometime now as to whether we should return to the U.K.

I have read many of the posts re: reasons for returning to the UK and I have to agree with all of the reasons given i.e. missing friends and family and a sense of belonging. So why is it then that we are finding it so impossible to reach a decision about going back home?

I have to be honest and say that both my husband and I love where we live -the sense of privacy, space, tropical birds, peace and tranquility is truly paradise.

We have met a number of people and have got involved in some organisations but we haven't 'really' gelled with anyone - I know this takes time but from what I gather from reading this forum it isn't unusual to feel this way even after 5 years of living here.

The question is, will we ever settle or are we striving in the hope that we will when in reality we probably won't? What are the real statistics for poms settling in other countries not their own?

I am becoming increasingly exasperated by it all and time is ticking - as someone on this forum said ' life isn't a rehearsal' and we can't keep living as if in a state of limbo.

Any advice would be graciously received.
It's very simple.

Home is where your heart is x
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:21 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Dont Do It Its An Overcrowded Overpriced S@@t Hole You Will Be Sorry You Went Back :d
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steals
Dont Do It Its An Overcrowded Overpriced S@@t Hole You Will Be Sorry You Went Back :d
Thanks, I'm sure you have our best interests at heart.

I could tell you from reading many posts here from people who have lived in Canada that it is a s@@t hole too but I don't see the point in doing that.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:49 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

well dont then
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

well dont then
Ooh you'd better be careful or I just might.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:58 pm
Banned

uklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant future

tosser!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:59 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uklover
tosser!
lol
Old Feb 6th 2006, 12:08 am
Banned

uklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
It just takes months of waiting for the answer. The big question is "Is life here significantly better than what we could have in the UK?". For us the answer is no. Australia nowhere near lives up to its self-proclaimed 'best country in the world' title. It's nice, and it if were a hell of a lot smaller, cooler, more cultured, more interesting, and nearer to the rest of the world, we might stay.

took the words right out of my mouth!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all

we used to live in newmarket, and are looking at renting in a village outside there til we find our feet. i was looking at rightmove.co.uk today re houses for sale. there was one in our first old street when we first moved there, we bought it for about £47,000, its going for £160,000 and were coming back with about £15,000
its v scarey when i think about how far backwards we have gone in the housing market. Got to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it.
hopefully, the sheer relief of being home will compensate

c x
One thing tho while we were over there looked at property although the list prices dont seem to have changed much, agents were biting our hands off to get us to buy. We were told its all very negotiable, most stuff was getting offers not the full price. I get the impression tho UK buyers are a bit 'stuck' on what their house was worth in the 2003 not now, but i I think if you stuck at it you would find a vendor willing to take significantly less, because theres just so much for sale.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by uklover
tosser!
nice coming from a no knob with 4 posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.