Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Benjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to allBenjizinho is a name known to all
Default Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Great thread.

It must be difficult for families to move out to a country such as Australia, It is so far away & IMO extremly over-rated. A friend of my mum decided to move out to New Zealand with her family .. the thing is she only gave it thought for a few months before she decided to move out etc .. and guess what after six months her & the family were back in the UK. Seems to be the age old problem in the families, that after a shortwhile everyone wants to do different things.

'Sense of belonging' .. Pointed out earlier by a poster is a great way of summing it up! I'm english (yet part-polish) & my partner is english born (yet Italian, her father is Italian etc) .. so even though we were born & live in the UK we have never once felt it while living here. One of the reasons we are looking at emigrating to Canada, luckily enough I have some family who live over there (what is always a help). But, we don't live in cloud cukoo land .. and we know we have to research, save up money & take time deciding in what we should do.

I have nothing but respect for people who takes risks .. no shame in coming back to the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:12 am
srd
Forum Regular

srd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nice

[QUOTE=kt.2006][QUOTE=srd]

Hi,

yes we came back to the same area, different village, same high school. my eldest who was then 17 found it hard to settle back in the UK, luckily he had a few older friends who took him out, he found that he was emotionally a lot older than his original UK peer group. the then 15 yr old boy who missed 2 terms of gcse's found it quite hard as his original friends had found other friends, he did though make a new nicer group of friends eventually. my daughter just slotted straight back into her original friendships.

the main reasons they (the boys) do not want to move is the eldest now nearly 19 has nearly completed yr 1 of 4 yr electrician apprenticeship, have contacted QLD Tafe and they say he cannot transfer it, also he has a car, lots of friends etc and does now not want to come. the 17 year old boy also does not want to come, he is at college, is learning to drive and finds it hard to make friends so does not want to start again, plus as his brother refuses to come it makes it easier for him to refuse. my daughter now nearly 16 is not happy but has said she will come for 2 yrs until she is 18, hoping she will settle. luckily at present no boy/girlfriends which would make it even worse.
it does though break my heart to think i will be leaving 2 of my children here, at times i think is it worth it, but then i think its my last chance to have this dream, i still believe it would be better for the whole family and i hope that they will change their minds. i am realistic in that it may take time, but i hope they do. have i helped at all? overall i believe it would have been better for us to stick it out the first time we went to OZ even though we did not have much money at least we were altogether. i do not know where my 2 sons will live or how they will cope financially. regards,
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:39 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=srd][QUOTE=kt.2006]
Originally Posted by srd

Hi,

yes we came back to the same area, different village, same high school. my eldest who was then 17 found it hard to settle back in the UK, luckily he had a few older friends who took him out, he found that he was emotionally a lot older than his original UK peer group. the then 15 yr old boy who missed 2 terms of gcse's found it quite hard as his original friends had found other friends, he did though make a new nicer group of friends eventually. my daughter just slotted straight back into her original friendships.

the main reasons they (the boys) do not want to move is the eldest now nearly 19 has nearly completed yr 1 of 4 yr electrician apprenticeship, have contacted QLD Tafe and they say he cannot transfer it, also he has a car, lots of friends etc and does now not want to come. the 17 year old boy also does not want to come, he is at college, is learning to drive and finds it hard to make friends so does not want to start again, plus as his brother refuses to come it makes it easier for him to refuse. my daughter now nearly 16 is not happy but has said she will come for 2 yrs until she is 18, hoping she will settle. luckily at present no boy/girlfriends which would make it even worse.
it does though break my heart to think i will be leaving 2 of my children here, at times i think is it worth it, but then i think its my last chance to have this dream, i still believe it would be better for the whole family and i hope that they will change their minds. i am realistic in that it may take time, but i hope they do. have i helped at all? overall i believe it would have been better for us to stick it out the first time we went to OZ even though we did not have much money at least we were altogether. i do not know where my 2 sons will live or how they will cope financially. regards,
I dont know wether this is a tragedy or not ,we are going through the same thing but in reverse one of our lads is staying in aussie whille we return to the uk and it makes me sad that we may not see him and will not be there for him if something happens ,i feel selfish but i keep thinking i got a life to and i couldnt bear the fact that we [me and OH]would possibly be stuck here in aussie and our two lads end up in britain but strangley i can handle it my lads maybe settling in aussie and us living in britain
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:50 pm
srd
Forum Regular

srd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nice

[QUOTE=sassenach][QUOTE=srd][QUOTE=kt.2006]

Hi
how old is your lad who is staying in OZ? have tried speaking to my 17 yr old today again, he is determined not to come with us, is talking of living in a hostel which makes me feel ill with worry as we have a lot of immigrants in our area and they hang about in groups and i have heard horrible things about the local hostels and local rental flats etc. just want a magic wand to make everything alright for everyone. good luck with sorting yours out.