Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is bang on. One caution I have is that, since I moved to the country I've found very many of the kids out here lack basic social skills, they tend to be withdrawn, presumably because they don't have many non-siblings to mingle with.
Best not live a remote rural location then Want children to be able to communicate with others after all, except me when I'm watching CSI, interupt me at your peril

You do get CSI in Canada don't you? I can live without PG tips but not sure I could cope without my CSI fix
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Originally Posted by tracys
Best not live a remote rural location then Want children to be able to communicate with others after all, except me when I'm watching CSI, interupt me at your peril

You do get CSI in Canada don't you? I can live without PG tips but not sure I could cope without my CSI fix

CSI Miami, CSI Vegas, CSI Somewhere else. I suppose if you subscribe to all the channels you can likely get CSI 24 hours a day.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Living and working. "Like the 1950s" is a pertinent phrase in many ways.
Must make sure I warn my two to stay off of farms and farm equiptment. To get to local farms here they would need to cross major A roads, as I don't let them 'play out' unsupervised they are unlikely to come to harm in this way here. However might be different story in Greater Halifax area.

One of my biggest concerns about emigrating is the different dangers they may encounter. Obviously lots of research into target area and education about said dangers should cut down on the chance of any mishaps. Hopefully. Boy am I going to be busy
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

CSI Miami, CSI Vegas, CSI Somewhere else. I suppose if you subscribe to all the channels you can likely get CSI 24 hours a day.
Oh goody
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh goody
Wall to wall Mr Orange. Sometimes there are whole CSI marathons
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
You'll be in Canada until you collect you're old age pension..You won't go anywhere...you just like complaining about your life and getting sympathy from other people, simple as that...
I dont recall Dbd complaining about his life, and can't imagine him asking for sympathy.

Why can't you accept criticism of Canada? Surely if you were confident enough of its charms you would just state your case then sit back and let everyone have their own opinions, based on their very valid and very real experiences. I think its a case of "he doth protest too much" (to misquote Shakespeare)
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:07 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
would that be about life in Toronto then???
Yes, sorry, should have specified. I usually do, but forgot. Apologies.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:29 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a quiet street in the city. The kids play out in the street all day, they roam around in and out of each others yards, they play in the ballbark at the end of the street. Sometimes there's a parent coaching hockey or ball but normally they amuse themselves,they look like kids from the 1950s having fun. They aren't mollycoddled, they do stuff that would have British parents banning them from doing. On the whole they are polite, open, pleasant kids. They also have to do chores and shovel snow from a very early age!

I went to college here with some school leavers, and I found them to be less "educated" than people of a similar age in England, but I think they are kinder people, more rounded socially, more tolerant of deaf old women such as me.

I have found it hard to settle here, for various reasons, I agree that Canada is far from perfect, jobs, employment law, poverty, health etc but I think that its the right thing to do if you have children. Just make sure you have a job to go to!
My kids hated being in Western Canada, the kids didn't play out and were always chauffered from one place to another by their parents ( very mollycoddled)........They also had very little manners,..........Never failed to amaze me, how they could be in your house drink/eat and leave, without a hi, thankyou or a goodbye And as far as doing chores you can forget that, it wasn't their place .
The school my 2 went to, also had a very laid back , dont really care attitude.
If you asked my 2 what they thought of Canada.....they would say it was boring and no fun.

Oh and in the 14 mths we was on VI , we had murders/robberies/phedophiles on the loose/muggings/arson attackes.............dead human body bits washing ashore, animals found dead after being tortured first etc .....And of course lets not forget about all the druggies and down and outs that live and sleep in the streets....No Canada is no more perfect then the Uk, its just spread out abit more
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
My kids hated being in Western Canada, the kids didn't play out and were always chauffered from one place to another by their parents ( very mollycoddled)........They also had very little manners,..........Never failed to amaze me, how they could be in your house drink/eat and leave, without a hi, thankyou or a goodbye And as far as doing chores you can forget that, it wasn't their place .
If you asked my 2 what they thought of Canada.....they would say it was boring and no fun.
Another world. My kids also brought home well mannered children who were commited students and active participants in various sports. They were all shuttled around a lot by parents but that's what happens if you have a full high school course load + night school + two sports. It was a running joke about the kids that none of them had two parents from the same country and none of them had a parent from here.

I don't recall any of them doing any chores though, I'm with you there.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Oh and in the 14 mths we was on VI , we had murders/robberies/phedophiles on the loose/muggings/arson attackes.............dead human body bits washing ashore, animals found dead after being tortured first etc .....And of course lets not forget about all the druggies and down and outs that live and sleep in the streets....No Canada is no more perfect then the Uk, its just spread out abit more
As I have often been berated on here about, Canada is a big place and whats true of one province isnt true of another. Its almost as if each province is a separate country.

I've only been to this bit of Ontario. I dont hate it, but its not what I saw on my many visits here before we moved. I read the things people posted on here and didnt believe them, now I see it to be true. I dont see Canada as a bad place, just somewhere that I wouldnt have come to if I knew then what I know now. If you see what I mean
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wall to wall Mr Orange. Sometimes there are whole CSI marathons
I'm not that sad, I only watch the original series But that could change
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds awful, what part of VI were you in? We were thinking of moving to Nanaimo until we visited NS.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

I'm not that sad, I only watch the original series But that could change
Ah, but Mr Orange, and his sunglasses, and the oneliners. Tis the only reason to watch.

That and muttering under your breath about contaminated crime scenes, and asking why anyone would wear white trousers to paddle through the blood and guts, etc etc

theres a you tube with Horatio and his sunnies, have a look
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

I promote tourism to Mississauga.
Very funny...

dbd33. Just noticed you joined this board in March 2005, which is approximately 2.5 years ago (or 30 months). That equates to 912.5days, which if you sleep for 8 hours a day is 14,600 waking hours. Then I noticed you are credited with 13,299 posts, that works out to nearly one post per hour for every waking hour you've had for the last 2 and a half years!!!!

Do you have a life or is whining and complaining about Canada on this board and generally how badly life has treated you the only thing you do? I can't imagine you actually have time for any real friends or a job, you must be on your computer all the time...How sad...
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
Very funny...

dbd33. Just noticed you joined this board in March 2005, which is approximately 2.5 years ago (or 30 months). That equates to 912.5days, which if you sleep for 8 hours a day is 14,600 waking hours. Then I noticed you are credited with 13,299 posts, that works out to nearly one post per hour for every waking hour you've had for the last 2 and a half years!!!!

Do you have a life or is whining and complaining about Canada on this board and generally how badly life has treated you the only thing you do? I can't imagine you actually have time for any real friends or a job, you must be on your computer all the time...How sad...
I contest the suggestion that I whine about generally how badly life has treated me. Generally, I've had a blast. Canadianly, not so much.

As regards this board being the only thing I do, oh no, I'm primarily a user of the Gruaniad board. Sometimes I also post on the Chronicle of the Horse board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.