Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:54 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
I think the title of this thread tends to attract responses from people who are unhappy with life outside the UK or can't fit in with life in a new country.
I do have to wonder why you are running around BE (and this forum in particular) Canuck flag waving to such an extraordinary extent. Some are (shock horror) not happy with the way our lives turned out in Canada. Some would like to leave, as you have told them to, but perhaps cannot. Others might be happy outside the UK, but maybe not in Canada. Some others still, see through the superficial and increasingly dated hype, and realise Canada is so behind the times it is not even funny. If "fitting in" means compromising your values, why should you? I do not subscribe to the "I should be grateful to be here" camp. Contentment with life here may depend on what you left behind in the first place. If you want "stuff" and are a recent immigrant, I am sure this vast country has what you want. I've been lucky enough to have travelled extensively in my life. Canada really isn't all that and a bag of chips, when you know there really is better elsewhere - for you.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
Canada really isn't all that and a bag of chips, when you know there really is better elsewhere - for you.

I wish you all the best where ever you go...
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:48 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Contentment with life here may depend on what you left behind in the first place. If you want "stuff" and are a recent immigrant, I am sure this vast country has what you want. I've been lucky enough to have travelled extensively in my life. Canada really isn't all that and a bag of chips, when you know there really is better elsewhere - for you.
It is what you make of it, rather than what you left behind. We left a lot behind in material things, but find we enjoy the adventure we now live. What you leave behind has little bearing on how well one fits in to a new country. Adaptability is not for everyone, but we only find out when we try. For those it did not work out for, at least they tried.

Is there better elsewhere? It is dependent on your expectations and what you are looking for. I too have been fortunate enough to travel much of the globe, Canada may not mean much to you, however people in Canada have a lot to be thankful for, whether they realise it or not.

for those that don't like where they live there is always the option of moving, albeit may mean sacrifices to do so, material or family. Surely if one decides not to move due to circumstances it is healthier to make the best of what you've got than keep putting it down, leading to only more dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Every day is a day nearer the end, be thankful what you have.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
It is what you make of it, rather than what you left behind.

for those that don't like where they live there is always the option of moving,

not to move due to circumstances it is healthier to make the best of what you've got than keep putting it down, leading to only more dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Every day is a day nearer the end, be thankful what you have.

Couldn't agree more with you..well said..
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Canada because I had no money and no education. Somewhere a little backward seemed a good move for me, sort of "if you can't make it there you can't make it anywhere" and so I did the "gutter to Ivy League in one generation" thing immigrants do. I look askance at the idea of people who can afford a house and a car in the UK moving here. I can't see the point at all.

You say that you'd be moving for the skiing and, if you live adjacent to a slope, then you could ski more than in the UK. However, my colleagues who are keen skiers go to Utah, Austria, Chile, as it's cheaper than western Canada. The only people I know personally who regularly ski in Banff live in Norway. Of course, Toronto is miles from the hills and, presumably you'd move to Alberta or BC. Still, you might not be able to ski all the time, what about having to work all hours to establish a career? What about not having many vacation days and having to use them to go home for weddings and funerals? What if one of you was injured and couldn't ski? If skiing is what really matters I'd look at getting a chalet or apartment in a European resort and flying there often.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chutley
So all in all, we are both beginning to question whether it is really worth all the hassle and trauma of starting a new life in Canada.
I don't think so. 10 or 15 years ago maybe, but these days I'm not sure. You may have seen this current thread on the BE Canada forum where we have been exchanging views on this. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555373

Unless you live in the wilds of NS or AB Many of the financial advantages available to british immigrants to Canada are dwindling. I still hear people saying things like "you get so much more for your money in Canada" and "the cost of things in dollars is the same in pounds in the UK". Unless you are talking about jeans or petrol these are outdated views. I recently saw a study that compared Ottawa as having a cost of living 6% cheaper than Glasgow. I think thats about right. Hardly life changing.

Don't forget that as an immigrant you will incur additional expenses in your first couple of years getting settled in, and you will not have the local experience to live as cost effectively as the locals.

Why not take some unpaid leave and spend time here with your family? Sounds crazy? Well I often reflect that I could have taken 6 months unpaid leave or even quit my job, spent free time here and toured the country, had a great life changing experience and then gone back to a new job in the UK or France. I could have done that and still taken less of a financial hit than I took by moving here and buying a house. I would have also seen a lot more of Canada and North America in 6 months of free time compared to the 8weeks total vacation I have accrued over the last two and a half years.

The moving, house buying, and settling in costs of moving to Canada with my family set back our net worth about 3 years. So in real terms we are only now breaking even. We are now planning to go back to the UK. So from the financial perspective no it wasn't worth it.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I moved to Canada because I had no money and no education. Somewhere a little backward seemed a good move for me, sort of "if you can't make it there you can't make it anywhere" and so I did the "gutter to Ivy League in one generation" thing immigrants do. I look askance at the idea of people who can afford a house and a car in the UK moving here. I can't see the point at all.

You say that you'd be moving for the skiing and, if you live adjacent to a slope, then you could ski more than in the UK. However, my colleagues who are keen skiers go to Utah, Austria, Chile, as it's cheaper than western Canada. The only people I know personally who regularly ski in Banff live in Norway. Of course, Toronto is miles from the hills and, presumably you'd move to Alberta or BC. Still, you might not be able to ski all the time, what about having to work all hours to establish a career? What about not having many vacation days and having to use them to go home for weddings and funerals? What if one of you was injured and couldn't ski? If skiing is what really matters I'd look at getting a chalet or apartment in a European resort and flying there often.
I think there are some very good and helpful points in this by dbd33. Bottom line is if you are unsuccessful in your own country, it is probably more than likely you will not become successful simply because you move to another country.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:52 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chutley
Hi

I think I would like a reality check from folks who have removed their rose-tinted specs and are on their way home. Not an invite to life's whingers, but I would REALLY APPRECIATE some honest talking about life over in Canada.

My partner and I both have good jobs - RAF Officer and Environmental Health Officer - with a combined income of £90k. We own our own home outright in Newark Nottinghamshire and have enough money left over each month to be comfortable, but not well-off.

I did some work at Battus Ranges in Canada and started looking at Canada seriously in 2003. Had two 3-week holidays over there in Alberta and BC, and we have another 4-week house exchange to kanmloops in June 2009. But I apreciate that a holiday is just that and doesn't really give you the warts and all.

We were hoping for a 'less-busy' lifestyle. Our own home, without mortgage, with some room around us. Access to the mountains, skiing and outdoor sports. And I can't deny that back in 2004 our house would exchange for a much bigger property in Calgary or BC. With grandious ideas, and hours of drooling on mls.ca, we applied in Oct 2006.

Now the big BUT. More research on this excellent site has highlighted how much things have gone up over there. Our own UK house is worth less, the exchange rate is getting worse so we would not really be gaining anything in terms of size or room in Canada. Car insurance, food and utilitires are also more expensive than we understood. And the real fear - the job. I have re-trained as an electrician to give me a portable skill, but more research has showed me that I needn't have bothered as the Canadian system does not recognise our qualifications!

So all in all, we are both beginning to question whether it is really worth all the hassle and trauma of starting a new life in Canada. We probably still have another 2 or 3 years to wait for a visa anyway, and in that time we are getting older, but feel that we are in Limbo.

If anybody has bothered to read this long post, I appreciate you sticking with it!!

What do you think? Did you leave behind a good life in he UK with Rose-tinted spectacles and big expectations? Is it really that hard to break into Canadian employment? And if space and an easier life (financially too) are our driving force, are we just another couple of dreamers who will end up returning to the UK!!

Appreciate any helpful advice, through a PM if you wish, but could do without the Daily Mail rants that some folks appear to enjoy.

Many thanks for your time.
Hi we have just returned from BC.......And yes its very beautiful on the surface
We left a lovely house and good wages in the UK...........between us we was earning around £70k.....................Long story.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sans
Hi we have just returned from BC.......And yes its very beautiful on the surface
We left a lovely house and good wages in the UK...........between us we was earning around £70k.....................Long story.
Yes BC is very beautiful, especially the southern coastal area's of Vancouver Island and parts of the Gulf Islands (Salt Spring is very pretty).

As you have demonstrated Canada isn't for everyone and that is valuable information for those thinking of coming to live here. I'm very happy that you and you're family are now well settled back into the UK way of life, as that is important information for those who can't settle here or are unhappy, but are hesitant to return to the UK.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are some very good and helpful points in this by dbd33. Bottom line is if you are unsuccessful in your own country, it is probably more than likely you will not become successful simply because you move to another country.
You may not have intended to come across that way, but your remark strikes me as patronizing.

I consider dbd33 to be successful, although I've never met him in "real life." It sounds as if he's made lots of money in Canada. Certainly, by the sounds of it, he's shelled out a fortune to his ex wife in the form of alimony, support payments, and what not. To have earned the sums he allegedly has paid her, on its own, makes him successful on the financial front, in my opinion.

He also has raised two daughters who are fluently bilingual, educated, well travelled, confident -- young adults who regard the world as their oyster.

Then there is his third daughter who is pretty severely autistic by the sounds of it. Sharing in the support and care of her is another heroic achievement (and an ongoing, never-ending one at that), I would say.

Dbd33 came to Canada when he was young. We don't know what degree of success he might have enjoyed if he'd stayed in the UK.

But then I may have misunderstood what you intended to say.
x
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:50 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You may not have intended to come across that way, but your remark strikes me as patronizing.

I consider dbd33 to be successful, although I've never met him in "real life." It sounds as if he's made lots of money in Canada. Certainly, by the sounds of it, he's shelled out a fortune to his ex wife in the form of alimony, support payments, and what not. To have earned the sums he allegedly has paid her, on its own, makes him successful on the financial front, in my opinion.

He also has raised two daughters who are fluently bilingual, educated, well travelled, confident -- young adults who regard the world as their oyster.

Then there is his third daughter who is pretty severely autistic by the sounds of it. Sharing in the support and care of her is another heroic achievement (and an ongoing, never-ending one at that), I would say.

Dbd33 came to Canada when he was young. We don't know what degree of success he might have enjoyed if he'd stayed in the UK.

But then I may have misunderstood what you intended to say.
x
Nanaimo? So what happened to going to Victoria?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:30 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Nanaimo? So what happened to going to Victoria?
Nothing wrong with Nanaimo apart from the bars
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:58 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Yes BC is very beautiful, especially the southern coastal area's of Vancouver Island and parts of the Gulf Islands (Salt Spring is very pretty).

As you have demonstrated Canada isn't for everyone and that is valuable information for those thinking of coming to live here. I'm very happy that you and you're family are now well settled back into the UK way of life, as that is important information for those who can't settle here or are unhappy, but are hesitant to return to the UK.
My OH was pretty successful in what he did in the Uk and every door he tried in Canada was slammed in his face Which wasn't doing his confidence alot of good nor our pockets.
Had we of not left when we did, we would not of been able to of afforded to leave and we sure as hell couldn't afford to stay .

Yes we was on VI, but beautiful doesn't pay the bills..........

Gotoronto is right about people not commenting on why they want to leave Canada, they watch others getting slated for having the nerve to speak their minds.

Last edited by sans; Aug 28th 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:59 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

for those that don't like where they live there is always the option of moving, albeit may mean sacrifices to do so, material or family. Surely if one decides not to move due to circumstances it is healthier to make the best of what you've got than keep putting it down, leading to only more dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Every day is a day nearer the end, be thankful what you have.
There are a few of us on this whole forum, (Canada, Aus, US) who cannot or could not leave, even if we wanted to. Day to day survival is never healthy. I will be thankful when I have something (other than my kids) to be thankful for. In the meantime, I work, pay taxes, volunteer, and actively contribute to the community I live in. I don't put Canada down, I look at it coldly and critically, as I would anywhere else I was forced to live.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:20 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't move to Canada unless you have a good job with decent pay and vacation allowance lined up. If you have a decent life in the UK then I dont see the benefit of moving here. Maybe for children, but then its even more important to have a job before you jump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.