Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Hi, I think I replied to this thread (maybe) at the beginning. We lived in Oz for 5 years and then moved back to the Uk for 3 years and thought I regretted it. We have now been in Brisbane for 1 week and can quite honestly say I hate it. Difficult to surf the net at the moment so I have managed to grab a quiet 5 mins. I imagined that after 5 years before I knew what I was letting myself for.We do seem to have had a shitty week where what can go wrong has gone wrong but I feel it is more than that.
We are going to the beach today to try and remind ourselves (me) of the good points. If someone had handed me the plane ticket yesterday though I would have gone.

omg poor you....what a dilemma...surely it can only get better....good luck
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:06 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Good for you girl. A very inspiring story. Will you continue with your business in the UK?
YES! I made it to be completely transportable.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
YES! I made it to be completely transportable.
i'm sure you'll do well with the plus sizes in the UK. every time i go back home to the UK the folks seem to be getting as big as they are over here
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Hi, I think I replied to this thread (maybe) at the beginning. We lived in Oz for 5 years and then moved back to the Uk for 3 years and thought I regretted it. We have now been in Brisbane for 1 week and can quite honestly say I hate it. Difficult to surf the net at the moment so I have managed to grab a quiet 5 mins. I imagined that after 5 years before I knew what I was letting myself for.We do seem to have had a shitty week where what can go wrong has gone wrong but I feel it is more than that.
We are going to the beach today to try and remind ourselves (me) of the good points. If someone had handed me the plane ticket yesterday though I would have gone.
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that your move back hasnt gone smoothly, that must be so hard to deal with. {{{hugs}}}
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, when my world turned belly up, long story but basically the only reason I moved to australia was because my now ex husband wanted to return to his homeland. He then, having got me here, left me, took all the money then tried to force me through an ugly court battle for most of our assets (he lost).
Anyway, during this time, I had no one and nothing except a small part time job working in a boutique. Because my ex was trying to force me into accepting his poor offer, he was making sure I had hardly anything to live on.
I kept asking myself the same question, how do I find a way to make enough money to get back to England?
I soon saw a way. There was a lack of fashion for plus size ladies. Everything comes out of China and as we know, they base their sizing on the Asian size which is very small.
I decided there and then to produce my own label for plus sizes. Two years down the track, (a lot of retraining and other obstacles) I have now reached this point. I now have two web sites, am a fashion designer, love the job and am mostly very happy.

My point is though, that you need to reach the bottom of the pile then you have a clear choice. You can either feel defeated and give in or you can take action to start heading forwards. This is where you make your decision to either stay where you are or start heading upwards.
Then you need to make a plan. In fact, later on, I will be writing a book about what happened to me and it probably will be titled The Plan.
Once you've made a plan, stick to it. Go and get help putting your plan together, nip and tweak it every now and again, add to it or change it but you do need a plan.
Once you've got your life plan, this then gives you a direction and then life takes over either by coming up with serendipitous opportunities or by generally opening doors to help you along.

It sounds like for now though, you're at a crossroads and still at the stage of making a decision. Maybe staying with your brother will be good for helping you start planning your life.
I must admit it's easier to feel motivated in the sun, it's a lot harder to charge ahead in the bitter cold of an English winter. It just adds to the misery if you're feeling down.

Anyway, I hope this logic helps you in some way. You need a plan.

Cricket1: How horrible to be brought all the way out to Australia and then left in the lurch without family, friends or money. Sounds like you're remaining remarkably positive in the circumstances. I hope you find a way to get back to the UK if that's what you really want. Good luck!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:06 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Well this week is 2 years to the day when I first started with my plan. Everything is ready to go and next week there is a big write up in the paper. I am so nervous I don't know where to put myself. I had never sewn or designed a garment before, I haven't been to college or trained and I'd never used an industrial sewing machine. Now I can it all from threading a 5 thread overlocker to garment construction. I begged, pleaded, and hunted high and low for any way that would help me learn all I needed to know to start this business.

Like I said, I am nervous because next week is the big test when the article that tells everybody 'hello, I'm here' goes in the paper. If it all gets the thumbs up, it means I can transport it home.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Well this week is 2 years to the day when I first started with my plan. Everything is ready to go and next week there is a big write up in the paper. I am so nervous I don't know where to put myself. I had never sewn or designed a garment before, I haven't been to college or trained and I'd never used an industrial sewing machine. Now I can it all from threading a 5 thread overlocker to garment construction. I begged, pleaded, and hunted high and low for any way that would help me learn all I needed to know to start this business.

Like I said, I am nervous because next week is the big test when the article that tells everybody 'hello, I'm here' goes in the paper. If it all gets the thumbs up, it means I can transport it home.
Hey Cricket, what's your website? I'm not plus size but my mum is and I'd like to have a look for her.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:46 am
Banned

I've sent you a PM.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. I mean it.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i'm sure you'll do well with the plus sizes in the UK. every time i go back home to the UK the folks seem to be getting as big as they are over here
U should really think about bringing it out to the UAE , lots of plus size ladies over here and a very poor fashion market xxx
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:35 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

but that's exactly what i hear peeps say about living here mind you they don't take holidays as such here so no need to worry about expenditure for that.
I hear it a lot too, and the foreclosure rate show it's not just BS.
I'd venture to say that it seems sometimes the quality of life can make up for not living where you want to be, (for a while at least) but even then, sometimes it's not enough to keep you there forever.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL. Ah, so you have been to florida then?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I hear it a lot too, and the foreclosure rate show it's not just BS.
I'd venture to say that it seems sometimes the quality of life can make up for not living where you want to be, (for a while at least) but even then, sometimes it's not enough to keep you there forever.
Depending on what you mean by "quality of life" I think it works the other way. I'd rather live in a small house, having to live economically in a place I want to be than have luxuries in a place I don't want to be.

Now, I wouldn't want to be in a place full of toxic materials, or where I was in real danger every time I walked down a street, but minor problems don't really count in the wider scheme of things, do they?

Bev
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bevm
Depending on what you mean by "quality of life" I think it works the other way. I'd rather live in a small house, having to live economically in a place I want to be than have luxuries in a place I don't want to be.

Now, I wouldn't want to be in a place full of toxic materials, or where I was in real danger every time I walked down a street, but minor problems don't really count in the wider scheme of things, do they?

Bev
Hi,

Well that was the point I was making really, to some people having a big house and a pool, and the other luxuries, do manage to outweigh the fact that they aren't necesserily where they want to be. I was saying too, that for a lot of people, it's only enough to keep them happy there temporarily.

Agreed 100%, minor probs aren't that important, whereas missing the football on a Saturday afternoon is definately not an option.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
I agree. I don't need the big house and pool. For me it's more about having more time with family. The way things are going, I don't think we could have all the luxuries now anyway but I do think we'll be better off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.