Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by ezzie
$37,000!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord, that's a lotta lolly! Do all uni students have to pay that or are there plenty of grants etc?
Thats tuition, residence hall and a small meal card that gives him a meal probably 4 times a week.
On top of that are books, and other supplies.
He has a really good scholarship, and a feral grant and two small federal loans. We pay out about $5,000 to 6,000 a year towards tuition and then pay books etc etc and there are lots of etc's it seems.
He'll graduate this May with a loan to pay off that would have bought him a nice low mile used BMW.
It makes the younger one wanting to go to UK seem just fine with me, I don't think we'd be any less poor at the end of it.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

MyLovelyBoys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manamama

I think it's harder to make a decision to return when there are lovely bits to your life abroad.

We're in Spain and my children do have lovely schools and the binmen come every night...lots of nice aspects but the boredom is slowly erasing me..

We've had the experience and in comparison I feel that the UK offers so much more for my children in terms of opportunities for the future. Yes there is problems in the UK, but I know that no country is perfect, some are alot worse. What you gain in one area, you sacrifice something else.

I have experienced schooling in the UK and I think if you live in a half decent area, the children will get a great education especially then the parents give them the needed guidance. The kids that do the drugs are the kids whose parents usually don't give a monkeys. Before we left the UK, my children were in brillant schools (primary) and I regret taking them from them, but you live and learn.

For me I cannot live as a foreigner, an outsider or the "English women" for much longer. So the pull of being home and having that feeling of belonging is strong.

Anyway, back to you and I hope it becomes clear soon.
I know what you mean! It's the lovely bits that make this decision so hard. I sometimes wish it'd been totally cr*p and then I wouldn't worry!!!

I think you've hit the nail on the head by saying it's the parents who offer their children guidance are the ones who will help their children succeed - be that anywhere!

I know what you mean about the "english" label too. They call me Madame Anglais at the school - which is cute, but I'd very much like to be "one of the mums". I want that feeling of belonging.

And - the BOREDOM... Don't get me started on that! I read a really interesting article on The Times on-line by a woman who was concerned about time passing her by. I feel as if I'm missing out on my childrens childhood by just getting up everyday taking them to school (where no-one chats) coming home to potter about and then going to get them again, then it's tea and then bed. Ready to start for another day!

Got to be more to life than THAT!

The purpose of this thread is "moved back to the UK and regretted it?" Well, that remains to be seen. I'm hoping that my life will be so much [I]busier[I] in the UK that I won't have time!

Your life is what you CHOOSE, you shouldn't feel burdened by it. I love the freedom we all have here and I will endeavour to re-create that for my kids in blighty!

Hope your decision is an easy one... Very best wishes, I'm thinking of you!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:45 am
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Mmm yes we moved back just a year ago this week due to personal reasons, but we havent really settled and now are looking to try a different part of Australia.

How long were you in Oz for- we've only been here 7 weeks and are really struggling despite my husband being Australian!