Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:54 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

[QUOTE=caledonia;7123753]
Originally Posted by cricket1
I lived in Northampton, an area known for high crime. I was never affected by it because i didn't give it an opportunity to affect me. Because I knew about personal safety, I worked alongside the police for a long time.

This is the attitude I was referring to before and I do find it smug. You are suggesting that the reason you were never affected by crime is because you did something to stop that happening to you - working with the police, those who you earlier dissed for choosing to work for govt agencies. By this argument, those who have been affected by crime - its their own fault because they didnt do anything to prevent it??

I agree to a certain extent - eg wandering around blind drunk in the city centre makes you a target - but many millions are affected by crime by no fault of their own nor because they didnt take precautions - graffiti, vandalism, robberies, pension scheme scams - the list is endless - but you cant blame the victims. Mind you, I expect you will be back on now telling us how you avoided the pension scam because you foresaw it and invested your money more wisely than all other poor sods.

for someone who appears to promote a christian way of life (the mother theresa reference) you dont seem to show a lot of compassion for others.
Well, what else can I say? Sounds like you've judged, sentenced and hanged me. Maybe I've been lucky because I don't have a victim attitude.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
...that no matter where you run to it will be same sh*t different bucket.
I would say, however, that the buckets might be smaller or fewer.

I'm in a city in Atlantic Canada. It's a small city but it's bigger than Bath - though nowhere near as nice to look at of course. There are sports and leisure facilities-a-plenty. We have an airport with direct flights to Europe, the USA, The Caribbean and all over Canada. There is nothing missing here that one needs.

It's not crime free and there have been three major crime waves to make the front page in the last year. One was about laundry rooms in apartment buildings where someone had been breaking into the machines to get the coins.

Another was car drivers filling up and driving off without paying.

The other big one was about a con man pretending to be a chimney sweep who took petty cash and small items if he was allowed into the home.

There was no threat to anyone's safety from any of these crime waves.

People routinely leave their cars parked with windows open, belongings and other shopping on display and keys in ignition. Not in winter obviously.

Break-ins do happen from time to time...it's just that it tends to be a garage or shed that gets broken into and tools taken.

Now I'm sure one can find many places like this in the UK. But probably only in little villages where properties seldom come on the market even if you could afford to buy and where the facilities amount to no more than a church, a pub, maybe a Tesco Express if you're lucky and a village green/footie pitch.

There are several small cities like Moncton in Atlantic Canada, all very, very low in the crime stakes...not even in the "top 100" cities of Canada. And all as affordable as Moncton.

We do get tons of snow of course. But it's dealt with. Streets are cleared, even sidewalks within a couple of hours. I even get out and about on my bike throughout the winter.

My only point is that the modest employed income, capital and housing that only covered the needs of one person in the UK, in a city with major drugs and violent crime problems (whether reducing or not it was still a problem) paid for two superior houses (with change) and provides sufficient income for a family of four in a relatively crime free city chock-a-block with all the facilities one needs. And without the need to work for that living.

I'm not comfortable appearing to 'side' with those of the "UK going to the dogs" persuasion, but I do strongly believe a modest situation in the UK can be greatly improved in Canada in a way that it cannot be improved remaining in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:06 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
Are these forums not all about giving advice and honest opinions ? Its up to the reader what they do with it.

Peolple have trashed Canada to me. Im an adult. I will make my own decision.
These forums are very much about people giving their views and opinions, Your views and experiences are certainly extreme but none the less valued...So keep it up. On the other hand certain people have given you their views, which are very different to yours but also are equally valued.

My own personal experiences of living in the UK are far more positive than negative, yes it does have a growing crime problem but by and large this can be avoided and yes it is an expensive place to live but saying all this, I would still rate it as a decent place to live with lots to see and do etc and would recommend it as a place to live.

If you want some honest opinions on Canada DO NOT EXPECT TO HEAR THEM from the Toronto based mob on that forum. Keep your questions for the people that are based out west or east on there and they will give you some honest opinions both positive and negative.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:11 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I'm in a city in Atlantic Canada. It's a small city but it's bigger than Bath - though nowhere near as nice to look at of course. There are sports and leisure facilities-a-plenty. We have an airport with direct flights to Europe, the USA, The Caribbean and all over Canada. There is nothing missing here that one needs.

It's not crime free and there have been three major crime waves to make the front page in the last year. One was about laundry rooms in apartment buildings where someone had been breaking into the machines to get the coins.

The other big one was about a con man pretending to be a chimney sweep who took petty cash and small items if he was allowed into the home.

People routinely leave their cars parked with windows open, belongings and other shopping on display and keys in ignition. Not in winter obviously.

Break-ins do happen from time to time...it's just that it tends to be a garage or shed that gets broken into and tools taken.

Now I'm sure one can find many places like this in the UK. But probably only in little villages where properties seldom come on the market even if you could afford to buy and where the facilities amount to no more than a church, a pub, maybe a Tesco Express if you're lucky and a village green/footie pitch.

There are several small cities like Moncton in Atlantic Canada, all very, very low in the crime stakes...not even in the "top 100" cities of Canada. And all as affordable as Moncton.

We do get tons of snow of course. But it's dealt with. Streets are cleared, even sidewalks within a couple of hours. I even get out and about on my bike throughout the winter.

My only point is that the modest employed income, capital and housing that only covered the needs of one person in the UK, in a city with major drugs and violent crime problems (whether reducing or not it was still a problem) paid for two superior houses (with change) and provides sufficient income for a family of four in a relatively crime free city chock-a-block with all the facilities one needs. And without the need to work for that living.

I'm not comfortable appearing to 'side' with those of the "UK going to the dogs" persuasion, but I do strongly believe a modest situation in the UK can be greatly improved in Canada in a way that it cannot be improved remaining in the UK.
As mentioned earlier you are in a very economical part of Canada so its possible for somebody of modest means to sell up in the UK and buy a mansion in atlantic Canada and feel that they have hit the jackpot, your life is certainly going to improve.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:11 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fair enough Bristol. I have no qualms about your comments. I have not lived in Canada and you are in a far better position to comment.
My arguement is with the dissing of UK in outlandish style and using it as a reason to leave and live elsewhere, when very often "elsewhere" has similar issues.And of course moving from a run down urban area in one country to a much smaller more rural or country village or town in another is going to give a completely different lifestyle. But the same change in lifestyle would occur moving from say Manchester to a tiny village in Cornwall or Devon say. You dont have to up sticks and fly across the world to change your lifestyle.
If you choose to leave the country do it because of your love of the new place, not because you are unhappy with your lot so much in UK you are just desperate to leave.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And of course moving from a run down urban area in one country to a much smaller more rural or country village or town in another is going to give a completely different lifestyle. But the same change in lifestyle would occur moving from say Manchester to a tiny village in Cornwall or Devon say. You dont have to up sticks and fly across the world to change your lifestyle.
Or Derbyshire which is within easy commute of Manchester.

G
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Atlantic Canada is "in the middle of nowhere"(no disrespect intended) and has a tiny population. It's only normal that there will be less crime. A small town in the UK is much more "connected" to the rest of the country, no thief in their right mind say in Montreal for example is going to think "ohh I'm going to drive 700 miles to Moncton to commit a crime". However a thief in Islington might happily go to St Albans or Croydon to do their mischief.

I can say that Montreal is pretty bad for gangs, murders, theft etc etc, in fact fairly similar to London and in some ways worse.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:10 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Several months ago I advanced a similiar view of the crime situation in the UK on the Canadian forum to see how things compared in Canada............All I got was a barrage of insults from certain people on there saying that this was not the case in the UK and that Canada for example was no better than the Uk in this respect. Facts and figures were thrown around to support their theories etc but nothing conclusive was gained. I also advanced the opinion that statistics were often unreliable and were often manipulated by governments etc to support whatever policy that they want to address, this opinion was also dismissed by certain people on there. By the way, you may have hit on a very good point that due to the UK`s size, that cities and urban areas just run into each other just look at the greater London, Manchester and Birmingham areas with their population density. I remember reading recently that the UK is the most densely populated country in Europe.
Obviously Holland and Belgium are both more densely populated, however interestingly Germany is pretty much the same as the UK.

Note that urban land use constitutes around 10-15% of the UK (at the upper end of that in more densely populated England)
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:13 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Atlantic Canada is "in the middle of nowhere"(no disrespect intended) and has a tiny population. It's only normal that there will be less crime. A small town in the UK is much more "connected" to the rest of the country, no thief in their right mind say in Montreal for example is going to think "ohh I'm going to drive 700 miles to Moncton to commit a crime". However a thief in Islington might happily go to St Albans or Croydon to do their mischief.

I can say that Montreal is pretty bad for gangs, murders, theft etc etc, in fact fairly similar to London and in some ways worse.
I think Diggler was expressing the ease of this, given the urban connection in the UK and of course to travel from Islington to say Croydon is not exactly very far from Islington especially when travelling by night and the thief would be completely unknown in Croydon.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:16 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Obviously Holland and Belgium are both more densely populated, however interestingly Germany is pretty much the same as the UK.

Note that urban land use constitutes around 10-15% of the UK (at the upper end of that in more densely populated England)
Germany I would imagine to be similiar, the report I read recently stated that the UK was actually more densely populated than the low countries......
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:17 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Several months ago I advanced a similiar view of the crime situation in the UK on the Canadian forum to see how things compared in Canada............All I got was a barrage of insults from certain people on there saying that this was not the case in the UK and that Canada for example was no better than the Uk in this respect. Facts and figures were thrown around to support their theories etc but nothing conclusive was gained. I also advanced the opinion that statistics were often unreliable and were often manipulated by governments etc to support whatever policy that they want to address, this opinion was also dismissed by certain people on there. By the way, you may have hit on a very good point that due to the UK`s size, that cities and urban areas just run into each other just look at the greater London, Manchester and Birmingham areas with their population density. I remember reading recently that the UK is the most densely populated country in Europe.
Originally Posted by Diggler
Your spot on regarding forces manipulating stats to suit whatever is the flavour of the governments month ! Its all nonsense.

Another serious problem (partly due to overcrowding), is that our judicial system lets us down badly. The serious offenders are all too quickly on the streets and re offending again. I think this is one area in particular where the UK is out of touch compared with other countries.

Regards,

Diggler.
I am sure that there is a tendency for the UK Gov (of the day) to try and find the most flattering stats, however the assumption that all the other countries do not try the same is probably wrong - I would assume that all countries try and make their data look good so a comparison between countries is probably still valid.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I am sure that there is a tendency for the UK Gov (of the day) to try and find the most flattering stats, however the assumption that all the other countries do not try the same is probably wrong - I would assume that all countries try and make their data look good so a comparison between countries is probably still valid.
All countries do dress up their stats to a degree but its still impossible to say how dressed up they really are and this is something that we the public will never truly know. Other than personal experiences, its still the only thing that we have to go on, despite how flawed they often are.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:41 am

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cricket1;7123764]
Originally Posted by caledonia

Well, what else can I say? Sounds like you've judged, sentenced and hanged me. Maybe I've been lucky because I don't have a victim attitude.
how could you have a "victim attitude" when by your own admission you've never been affected by crime? Therefore it stands to reason that you dont have such an attitude. But yet again, another dig at those who do - maybe if you had experienced crime it would change your perception and attitude??

this is getting away from the original point of the thread however. I have moved back to the UK and yes I do regret it. I cant get work (had temporary xmas work sorting mail but thats now over and the building trade has all but disappeared where we are plus tourists low on the ground so the hotels arent taking on), we cant afford to move out of the mother in laws, the weather stinks and the kids are desparate to go back to Oz - maybe we've all just got the wrong attitude, having made the wrong choices along the way? hence i am up all night on this dam computer as i cant sleep for worrying about it all.

so I am going to pull myself up by the bootstraps and start my own business to get us all out of this mire - anyone lend me a spare few grand for start up costs????
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:22 am
Democracy advocate

I think Diggler was expressing the ease of this, given the urban connection in the UK and of course to travel from Islington to say Croydon is not exactly very far from Islington especially when travelling by night and the thief would be completely unknown in Croydon.
Someone from Islington wouldn't go south of the river after midnight

Especially of they were a cab driver

(waits for someone to post about the poor state of UK public transport, or speed cameras or whatever negative whinge is next on the list)
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:36 am
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by caledonia

how could you have a "victim attitude" when by your own admission you've never been affected by crime? Therefore it stands to reason that you dont have such an attitude. But yet again, another dig at those who do - maybe if you had experienced crime it would change your perception and attitude??

this is getting away from the original point of the thread however. I have moved back to the UK and yes I do regret it. I cant get work (had temporary xmas work sorting mail but thats now over and the building trade has all but disappeared where we are plus tourists low on the ground so the hotels arent taking on), we cant afford to move out of the mother in laws, the weather stinks and the kids are desparate to go back to Oz - maybe we've all just got the wrong attitude, having made the wrong choices along the way? hence i am up all night on this dam computer as i cant sleep for worrying about it all.

so I am going to pull myself up by the bootstraps and start my own business to get us all out of this mire - anyone lend me a spare few grand for start up costs????
You don't need a lot of money to start up a business, you mention the building trade - get a basic website for a couple of hundred quid, whatever basic tools you need and start knocking on doors and delivering leaflets.

I'm not trying to knock you, many people are not cut out for the originality, effort and drive of entrepeneurship, just like many aren't cut out for being an accountant, a lawyer or running a marathon. Nothing wrong in that.

One thing I would say is that if you have gotten into a negative state of mind, it is very hard work coming back from that position and it inhibits everything you do.

Good luck, hope you get back to Oz if that's what it needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.