EU Referendum

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:21 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default EU Referendum

Well I wonder what the vote would be if we were given a referendum on whether to stay within the EU as we know it or perhaps vote for the exit.

With all the political scaremongering, I guess most would on confused to which way to vote.

Though if you look through all the online newspaper comments, most posters seem to want an exit or much of the powers lost to be returned.

I believe that the UK is not the only EU member to want change, though it seems the UK will do all the heavy lifting.

Well would the Uk be better off out or do people want an even more integrated EU.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:21 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Well I wonder what the vote would be if we were given a referendum on whether to stay within the EU as we know it or perhaps vote for the exit.

With all the political scaremongering, I guess most would on confused to which way to vote.

Though if you look through all the online newspaper comments, most posters seem to want an exit or much of the powers lost to be returned.

I believe that the UK is not the only EU member to want change, though it seems the UK will do all the heavy lifting.

Well would the Uk be better off out or do people want an even more integrated EU.
Kick the French out and everything is sorted..i cant think of any European nation that actually likes them?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Francophobia is an English specialty. We rather like them up here !
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed at this anti-Europe stuff, I'm not at all clear how Britain would work outside it. An unfortunate turn of events.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:56 pm
Banned

picaflor is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably would be better if we severed our ties with the US first....our lapdog association with them seems to have largely destabilized the world over the last decade.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

With Cameron promising an EU Referendum, it would be at least 5 years, if ever.

It seems to be huff and puff, not just for voters, but for the EU as well.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am amazed at this anti-Europe stuff, I'm not at all clear how Britain would work outside it. An unfortunate turn of events.
The quicker we can exit this organisation the better.
No one ever voted for what has happened in this country for the last 12 years.

A democracy should be that, not having rules and regulations thrust upon
the country by faceless, unelected, beurocrats.

At the moment the only democratic party is UKIP.
The only reason the conservatives are thinking about these things is they
know a lot of their traditional support is going AWOL, and joining UKIP.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:41 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Well of course, people dont like change, fear of the unknown, however change is on the cards, a change for the better, this is not about anti European, thats a shallow thought.

A referendum will atleast lay down the future boundaries where we can feel secure about where we are going as a nation, at present the country is becoming somewhat of a basket case, extremely high cost of housing, high cost of living, unlivable wages for the low income, religious incursions, fraudulent behaviour my the very people we vote to look after us.

In a highly educated society this should not be the case.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:51 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by aries
With Cameron promising an EU Referendum, it would be at least 5 years, if ever.

It seems to be huff and puff, not just for voters, but for the EU as well.
Oh no, this is not huff and puff, 5 years for a referendum, but the decision to have a referendum will come from the next general election.

so we have until then for the politicians to do their job, giving both sides of the argument, this will atleast bring the issue to a level where the general public can have a say, something that has been lacking for many years.

Democracy at last
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:56 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Dont be negative
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:58 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Kick the French out and everything is sorted..i cant think of any European nation that actually likes them?
Well I think everybody likes the French, they've given the world much
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I loathe referendums. The whole point of representative democracy is that most people are not qualified to make decisions like this, so we hire people whose job is (hopefully) to read and research and develop an understanding and then act in our best interests. It's obviously far from perfect, but it beats asking 'the man on the street' for his opinion.

Unless they're going to restrict the vote to only people with a degree in global economics, the whole thing is ridiculous.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:57 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
The quicker we can exit this organisation the better.
No one ever voted for what has happened in this country for the last 12 years.

A democracy should be that, not having rules and regulations thrust upon
the country by faceless, unelected, beurocrats.

At the moment the only democratic party is UKIP.
The only reason the conservatives are thinking about these things is they
know a lot of their traditional support is going AWOL, and joining UKIP.
Have there not been any general elections in the last 12 years??..so you did or people did vote for what has happened because the Government who represent you has allowed it to happen (whatever that maybe) in your best interests...that's why the people voted for them to give them a mandate to make decisions on your behalf.

So if there is huge clamour to leave the EU no doubt come the next election UKIP will be secure the most votes and will form the next Govt and your wishes will be granted...thus negating a need for a referendum.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I loathe referendums. The whole point of representative democracy is that most people are not qualified to make decisions like this, so we hire people whose job is (hopefully) to read and research and develop an understanding and then act in our best interests. It's obviously far from perfect, but it beats asking 'the man on the street' for his opinion.

Unless they're going to restrict the vote to only people with a degree in global economics, the whole thing is ridiculous.
Presumably this is driven by people like the Metric Martyr.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Have there not been any general elections in the last 12 years??..so you did or people did vote for what has happened because the Government who represent you has allowed it to happen (whatever that maybe) in your best interests...that's why the people voted for them to give them a mandate to make decisions on your behalf.

So if there is huge clamour to leave the EU no doubt come the next election UKIP will be secure the most votes and will form the next Govt and your wishes will be granted...thus negating a need for a referendum.
I think it is more complicated than that. Undoubtedly we get to vote for "Who we want", but it's a restricted choice and these days there isn't much to choose betwen the main parties. Try finding a party these days that doesn't consist mainly of "career politicians" (people who have not spent any substantial time in the real world), for example.

I don't much like Labour, Conservative or Liberal - so I get a vote to choose between them but do I get the kind of goverment I want? Not really, I get the government that I "least dislike". It doesn't mean I approve of, or am responsible for, the decisions they make when they get into government.

I think this is true of a lot of Western countries these days. At least we don't have a dictatorship, but I'm not sure what we have is a true democracy. The dice are loaded against anyone from a working class background succeeding in politics.

This is an interesting article - ironically, a long succession of state-educated PM's was broken by a Labour PM (Tony Bliar). Just one excerpt from the article: "Three-quarters of the current cabinet are millionaires, we were told, and 66 percent of them are privately educated"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.