Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

Originally Posted by Editha
I regularly read the Guardian, Financial Times, BBC news, the Economist, and occasionally other reputable media such as Huffington Post, Slate, or the Washington Post. I think that the quality of news reporting in all of them is very high. ....
Did you read my post above?

They may be higher than other media sources, but I would strongly dispute that the standard of their reporting is "very high" by any absolute measure, and I believe you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

To be clear, I am not saying that all their reports are garbage, but as an outsider you have no way of knowing which stories are well written and which are garbage.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

To be clear, I am not saying that all their reports are garbage, but as an outsider you have no way of knowing which stories are well written and which are garbage.
Well that explains something that had puzzled me. If you lack the ability to discriminate between responsible and irresponsible journalism, no wonder you supported Trump.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Well that explains something that had puzzled me. If you lack the ability to discriminate between responsible and irresponsible journalism, .
Well for starters, I ascribe no inherent credibility to any article, and working from that assumption, give published information credibility only to the extent that it is corroborated by and consistent with other sources.

Conversely, you said that give blanket credence to organizations that I know, for a fact, have printed garbage articles, as I described above, you have effectively admitted that you can't distinguish between "good" articles and ones that, despite being published in good faith, but which are fundamentally flawed.

BTW politics has nothing to do with what I am describing: a flawed article is a flawed article no matter how much credibility you ascribe to the publisher/ broadcaster.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 24th 2017 at 8:38 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Italy applies the rule. Unless in employment or married to an Italian, for the first 5 yrs, you must have medical insurance. Pensioners are the exception. Under EU rules -which the UK fought tooth and nail to avoid- your home country pays.
Thanks for that info...does that mean UK pensioners (retirees) living in Italy are NOT required to have medical insurance...if not, how do they get medical service in Italy?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:39 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
Thanks for that info...does that mean UK pensioners (retirees) living in Italy are NOT required to have medical insurance...if not, how do they get medical service in Italy?
EU pensioners do not require medical insurance to use the Italian NHS. Once signed up for residency, they can then sign up for the NHS. Their home countries reimburse the cost directly to Italy
Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
EU pensioners do not require medical insurance to use the Italian NHS. Once signed up for residency, they can then sign up for the NHS. Their home countries reimburse the cost directly to Italy
Thanks...seems I should have retired to Italy instead of Bali. Just recovered from surgery for Colon Tumor and subsequent incisional hernia and paid US$30,000...no UK NHS re-imbursement for me....although I paid NI from age 18 to age 65.
What will happen to those retirees when UK leaves EU...will those who retire to Italy still get this NHS repayments from UK?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:00 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...seems I should have retired to Italy instead of Bali. Just recovered from surgery for Colon Tumor and subsequent incisional hernia and paid US$30,000...no UK NHS re-imbursement for me....although I paid NI from age 18 to age 65.
What will happen to those retirees when UK leaves EU...will those who retire to Italy still get this NHS repayments from UK?
Depends on the agreement made between UK and EU.

But probably not.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:05 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS reimburse the Italian health service directly. What will happen after the UK leaves the EU is anyone's guess, but as the UK tried to block the EU directive, it doesn't look good.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Medical treatment in Indonesia ? You are a brave person.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
If you have money, it's not bad.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes...I did consider that but the alternative was to go back to Canada or UK and get it done under NHS. I haven't been to UK since 1990 so that wasn't a real option and, to return to Vancouver, I would need to wait 90 days just to get back into their health service and then, as it's elective and not an emergency, might need to wait further for an opening for surgery.
I don't have insurance as I was 79 years old and basically uninsurable.....so the Bali hospital, where I had the colonoscopy that discovered the tumor, was my choice...and it was done a few days later.

I had the best care I can imagine...my professor surgeon was trained in Hawaii and Holland and the hospital is owned by him and a few partners.
I had a VIP air conditioned private room and my wife stayed with me; excellent nursing attention and first class surgery...including using state of the art harmonic surgical tools....the follow-up included modern chemo pills for about 6 months.
I'm told that the amount of hospital and surgeries and follow-up and meds could cost around US$300,000 in USA...so far I'm up for about US$30,000.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:49 pm

..... I'm told that the amount of hospital and surgeries and follow-up and meds could cost around US$300,000 in USA...so far I'm up for about US$30,000.
Outward health tourism from the US is more common than many people realise.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...I did consider that but the alternative was to go back to Canada or UK and get it done under NHS. I haven't been to UK since 1990 so that wasn't a real option and, to return to Vancouver, I would need to wait 90 days just to get back into their health service and then, as it's elective and not an emergency, might need to wait further for an opening for surgery.
I don't have insurance as I was 79 years old and basically uninsurable.....so the Bali hospital, where I had the colonoscopy that discovered the tumor, was my choice...and it was done a few days later.

I had the best care I can imagine...my professor surgeon was trained in Hawaii and Holland and the hospital is owned by him and a few partners.
I had a VIP air conditioned private room and my wife stayed with me; excellent nursing attention and first class surgery...including using state of the art harmonic surgical tools....the follow-up included modern chemo pills for about 6 months.
I'm told that the amount of hospital and surgeries and follow-up and meds could cost around US$300,000 in USA...so far I'm up for about US$30,000.
I suspect could cost even more than that in the USA. Quite good you experience went well, and certainly understand if one doesn't have a choice in such matters.

I have had some experience with Indonesian doctors and nurses, my own opinion is I wouldn't want to be within ten miles of an Indonesian hospital or doctor. My mother was a nurse and kind of hilarious in one incident after I had an accident I had to translate for her as she told off the doctor and nurse and doctor in the hospital about basic procedures. Luckily they didn't speak English.

Many years ago I remember scandal in Jakarta over bribes paid for granting of medical degrees.

But I haven't been there for a while, so maybe things have improved.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suspect could cost even more than that in the USA. Quite good you experience went well, and certainly understand if one doesn't have a choice in such matters.

I have had some experience with Indonesian doctors and nurses, my own opinion is I wouldn't want to be within ten miles of an Indonesian hospital or doctor. My mother was a nurse and kind of hilarious in one incident after I had an accident I had to translate for her as she told off the doctor and nurse and doctor in the hospital about basic procedures. Luckily they didn't speak English.

Many years ago I remember scandal in Jakarta over bribes paid for granting of medical degrees.

But I haven't been there for a while, so maybe things have improved.
A social national health service is in its infancy in Indonesia...so you are correct about the public hospitals...but private fee-paying is available and pretty good.
I wouldn't want to be sick and poor in Indonesia...that's a fact.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

....might need to wait further for an opening for surgery.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.