Englands' Own

Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Englands' Own

I have always been some what envious of Scotland , Wales and Eire who celebrate there culture with such vigour while England has always been a bit shy to do so.....I was gutted to find out Kate Bush was doing a run of performances which finishes a week before my holiday back home. ......this video brings my thoughts together ......promise

http://youtu.be/5rn_DXpURvQ
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Englands' Own

Sadly attempts to appear as an English nationalist, other than at a Rugby match, invariably end up with you looking like a neo-fascist wing-nut.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:49 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There is plenty of patriotism in England, lots of flags and pride but it is low key compared to the rabid flag waving and chest beating of places like America or Australia. I would like to see some more but it is there if you look
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There is plenty of patriotism in England, lots of flags and pride but it is low key compared to the rabid flag waving and chest beating of places like America or Australia. I would like to see some more but it is there if you look
I, for one, will be glad to see the back of the "rapid flag waving and chest beating" here in the USA. Please don't wish it upon England, thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:21 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I, for one, will be glad to see the back of the "rapid flag waving and chest beating" here in the USA. Please don't wish it upon England, thanks
Absolutely, having lived in a country where slapping yourself on the back is a national sport I am more than happy with the situation here. I would like a little more open patriotism and less self criticism but way less than the level in the 2 countries I mentioned.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, having lived in a country where slapping yourself on the back is a national sport I am more than happy with the situation here. I would like a little more open patriotism and less self criticism but way less than the level in the 2 countries I mentioned.
Living in the US for 27 years has removed almost all traces of patriotism and nationalism from me; I do still feel a twinge of it in sporting events, but each year it gets a bit less....The reasons are that Americans just look like such idiots when they get all "USA!USA!", and living in another culture has made me realize the ridiculousness of all nationalism. So I'm saddened by UKIP, Putin, China and the Tea Party in the USA. Nationalism usually comes down to power, prejudice and money.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
I have always been some what envious of Scotland , Wales and Eire who celebrate there culture with such vigour while England has always been a bit shy to do so.....I was gutted to find out Kate Bush was doing a run of performances which finishes a week before my holiday back home. ......this video brings my thoughts together ......promise

http://youtu.be/5rn_DXpURvQ
The song is not one of Kate's best (that would be man with a Child in his Eyes or Babooshka) and the video doesn't remind me much of my England which as a mix of blast furnaces, chemical works, unemployment and moor land.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
Living in the US for 27 years has removed almost all traces of patriotism and nationalism from me; I do still feel a twinge of it in sporting events, but each year it gets a bit less....The reasons are that Americans just look like such idiots when they get all "USA!USA!", and living in another culture has made me realize the ridiculousness of all nationalism. So I'm saddened by UKIP, Putin, China and the Tea Party in the USA. Nationalism usually comes down to power, prejudice and money.
Couldn't agree more! Some of the people I work with are SOOOOO nationalistic. It makes them sound so dumb (after all, we can't choose where we were born) when they're out there canvassing and selling their country. Of course, everyone has the right to be proud of where they're from, but you don't need to do it quite so loudly!

Many of the Chinese people I have met (been in China for nearly 8 years) are also really nationalistic (they call it 'patriotic'). It makes me laugh sometimes.

I think that living outside your own culture and away from the feelings of 'extreme' nationalism dull it down a bit, as does being in a relationship with someone from a place with such a different culture.

【Aside: Being from a strongly unionist Northern Irish family, I guess I should be say extreme 'unionism' ('nationalism' holds negative connotations for my family). Pity that I'll soon be the only one in my entire family to not hold a British passport hehe.】
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Self criticism is a national sport, dear lad. Wouldn't be England without it
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

My post was about Culture, not nationalism, there is a significant difference. To hijack it with anti American rhetoric is a bit daft really. .....AND .... If anyone knew anything about Kate Bush ....you would know that "Womens' Work" was her best ever song........babushka indeed.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"I think that living outside your own culture and away from the feelings of 'extreme' nationalism dull it down a bit, as does being in a relationship with someone from a place with such a different culture."

But not if you are an Anglo in the Plaza de Toros !