England calling

Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:50 am
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England calling

Why do I see more posts about NEGATIVE England.

I have not been in England for about 58 years and I look forward to going to England. Whatever you see as a negative I see as a positive.

I wish England.
100 %

Last edited by Lineabove; Jun 14th 2015 at 12:58 am.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: England calling

Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lineabove
Why do I see more posts about NEGATIVE England.

I have not been in England for about 58 years and I look forward to going to England. Whatever you see as a negative I see as a positive.
if you have not been in England for that long, how would you know what is positive about it?

Let me guess ... you were 3 years old when you left England?

Last edited by not2old; Jun 14th 2015 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:30 am
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point

Because I have not been in England for that long... all would be exciting and positive as I do not have a benchmark to compare it to.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England calling

Because I have not been in England for that long... all would be exciting and positive as I do not have a benchmark to compare it to.
Yes, I am sure you would find it exciting because it is different, but away from the centre of London, other tourist attractions around Britain and quaint villages, I'm not certain how you could make something positive from the many empty and boarded up shops, a lack of fresh paintwork, empty and derelict factories, crowded narrow streets where parking is a nightmare, and of course all the potholes.

This morning in a taxi the driver said there now doesn't seem to be any pride in our environment, and having lived in Oz for more than half a century I tend to agree. A friend who is a town councillor, has said that the council has no power to compel property owners to lift their act, so buildings remain derelict and crumbling. I feel sad that after 3 years back here I've become used to seeing all this, no wonder long term residents say and do nothing.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

what not even for a visit or a holiday?

It'll likely be foreign territory for you, just like being an immigrant I would think Then again if you have lived in Toronto most all of your life, all I can say is you could adapt anywhere - from my own personal experience that is

Good luck with it all
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Yes, I am sure you would find it exciting because it is different, but away from the centre of London, other tourist attractions around Britain and quaint villages, I'm not certain how you could make something positive from the many empty and boarded up shops, a lack of fresh paintwork, empty and derelict factories, crowded narrow streets where parking is a nightmare, and of course all the potholes.

This morning in a taxi the driver said there now doesn't seem to be any pride in our environment, and having lived in Oz for more than half a century I tend to agree. A friend who is a town councillor, has said that the council has no power to compel property owners to lift their act, so buildings remain derelict and crumbling. I feel sad that after 3 years back here I've become used to seeing all this, no wonder long term residents say and do nothing.
I don't believe that, many councils have and are forcing owners of such property to do the property up, they do have to power to purchase such properties, in many areas the properties are then being rented out to people on housing lists.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I don't believe that, many councils have and are forcing owners of such property to do the property up, they do have to power to purchase such properties, in many areas the properties are then being rented out to people on housing lists.
What I've said is what I was told by a senior councillor, and with so many commercial properties looking derelict, it would appear to be true. These cannot be used for housing when they are not in appropriate places.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
What I've said is what I was told by a senior councillor, and with so many commercial properties looking derelict, it would appear to be true. These cannot be used for housing when they are not in appropriate places.
The problem in the UK is that you have too many private property owners and most councils don't have the money to buy these properties. All the money is left in London where you can make a quick buck.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away for a long time, too. But I go back several times per year, and I will only say I'm "not all that fond" of England anymore. Aside from a halfway decent economy, I find not all that much "positive" about it. It seems the "charm" is fewer and farther between these days, the quality of lodging, food & drink, and transport is rather sub-average for the the high price you pay. Plus, the weather is 80% crap.

But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Enjoy it while you still like it.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I've been away for a long time, too. But I go back several times per year, and I will only say I'm "not all that fond" of England anymore. Aside from a halfway decent economy, I find not all that much "positive" about it. It seems the "charm" is fewer and farther between these days, the quality of lodging, food & drink, and transport is rather sub-average for the the high price you pay. Plus, the weather is 80% crap.

But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Enjoy it while you still like it.
C'mon amideislas, weather 80% crap depends how you look at it. Some people think a desert climate is great, but if those people tried to hold cattle or grow food, they'd think different. Like anywhere you'll find nice areas and not so nice areas. I like Mallorca, but it's not as if everything is cheap over there either, unless you are bringing money from elsewhere
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
C'mon amideislas, weather 80% crap depends how you look at it. Some people think a desert climate is great, but if those people tried to hold cattle or grow food, they'd think different. Like anywhere you'll find nice areas and not so nice areas. I like Mallorca, but it's not as if everything is cheap over there either, unless you are bringing money from elsewhere
I reviewed my post several times, but didn't find anything mentioning Mallorca.

But since you brought it up, if you want to compare prices like-for-like, there are only a handful of things that are cheaper in the UK. Curry sauce and electricity come to mind... And that's not unique to Mallorca. Most of the rest of the world is to some extent less expensive than England for most things.

c'mon... for about £50 (~€70) per night, you get a crappy 18 sq. meter room that hasn't been renovated in 10 years, an average meal in a basic restaurant costs at least £18 (~€25), a glass of average wine will cost £5-£8 (~€12), and even in mid-summer you still need a jacket or at least a cardi, umbrella, and wellies.

Admittedly, I don't have livestock, so I agree my opinion would be rather contrary to those aspiring to produce that fine British meat, fruit and veg. In that case, it may seem like an idyllic place to live. Plus, there's always Blackpool and Brighton for the hols, in which case you don't have to survive all that despicable foreign stuff....
Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

It might be exciting but what makes you think it would be positive, especially as you haven't been there and therefore have absolutely no idea of what the conditions there are?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by colchar
It might be exciting but what makes you think it would be positive, especially as you haven't been there and therefore have absolutely no idea of what the conditions there are?
makes one want to burst into song ....

"Looking At The World Thru Rose Colored Glasses"

Looking at the world through rose colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.
Looking at the world and everything that passes,
Seems of rosy hue somehow.
Why do I feel surprise, don't wink your eyes,
Needn't guess I'll confess, certain someone just said yes.
In a bungalow all covered with roses, I will settle down I vow,
That's why I'm looking at the world through rose colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
I reviewed my post several times, but didn't find anything mentioning Mallorca.

But since you brought it up, if you want to compare prices like-for-like, there are only a handful of things that are cheaper in the UK. Curry sauce and electricity come to mind... And that's not unique to Mallorca. Most of the rest of the world is to some extent less expensive than England for most things.

c'mon... for about £50 (~€70) per night, you get a crappy 18 sq. meter room that hasn't been renovated in 10 years, an average meal in a basic restaurant costs at least £18 (~€25), a glass of average wine will cost £5-£8 (~€12), and even in mid-summer you still need a jacket or at least a cardi, umbrella, and wellies.

Admittedly, I don't have livestock, so I agree my opinion would be rather contrary to those aspiring to produce that fine British meat, fruit and veg. In that case, it may seem like an idyllic place to live. Plus, there's always Blackpool and Brighton for the hols, in which case you don't have to survive all that despicable foreign stuff....
I'm just saying that you could say the same about your location, or actually that's what most Spanish say about Spain "I find not all that much "positive" about it. It seems the "charm" is fewer and farther between these days, the quality of lodging, food & drink, and transport is rather sub-average for the the high price you pay. No matter where you are, it's only cheap when you have money. If you have money or come from a wealthy country, you'll say England is cheap. I went to a pub in Tadjikistan and beer was a lot cheaper than in Spain If we look at weather, it's not about personal choice. I don't find everything great in the UK/England but there are some good things too, just like most locations have pros & cons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.