Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:00 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

If I ever try and take my (Aussie-born) daughter back to the UK for good then I should be locked-up for child abuse.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:50 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I dont worry at all about raising my kids in the UK, I worry very much about raising them in Australia.

I find Australian kids rude, loud with no manners or respect, in general for anything. Having spent the last couple of weeks using public transport, I am surprised to what I have witnessed - kids shouting, graffitying,littering and generally bullying old and elderly people who use public transport. It seems that their Australian parents let them out and dont care what they get up to. They take no responsibility - and to be honest, I find their Australian loud and brash voices annoy me on a daily basis.

I have spent two years working as a counsellor, and without breaching confidentiality, am more than 100% certain where I want to bring up my kids and its not here. Some of the stories I have been told, including over abuse of drugs, child sexual abuse, bullying, violence and crime have astounded me. I thought I was pretty switched on having lived in the UK, but no. I am leaving Australia for good in two days time and just cant wait to go.

No, in my opinion, its not a better place to raise kids. In my opinion Australia is full of false people, they tell you they feel good, when they dont, they ask you how your day's going, and dont want to know when its not going well. They appear friendly, kind and helpful. If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I dont like them as people, dont like their culture, and more importantly I dont want my kids raised as Australians. I am proud to be British... and so will they be.

My opinion, I know......each to their own.
Don't sit on the fence scoob!!!! These are your opinions and you are totally entitled to them and I'm glad you haven't felt intimidated on here to express them. As a person who has 'walked the walk' so to speak, you are able to air such strong opinions.

I hope everything goes well for you back home. Good luck to you.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:29 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

No, in my opinion, its not a better place to raise kids. In my opinion Australia is full of false people, they tell you they feel good, when they dont, they ask you how your day's going, and dont want to know when its not going well. They appear friendly, kind and helpful. If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I dont like them as people, dont like their culture, and more importantly I dont want my kids raised as Australians. I am proud to be British... and so will they be.
I am utterly - utterly - astonished that you are a counsellor. I am angry at your pathetic caricature. You are clearly do not ascribe to the person-centred approach (if any). I have never heard any counsellor - or anyone in the healing professions - come out with anything quite so rancid. It is no surpise you have not made any Australian friends with this view of the person.

You need to take a long hard look at yourself. Because if this is what is driving you away, then moving countries will not help.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 14th 2007 at 7:37 am.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hiya Kriss, I just want to say that I wouldn't have been happy for our son to walk home form his girlfriends house in Currambine along Burns Beach Road to Iluka, I always went to pick him up before he could drive. He walked home from Ocean Reef once, part the way with mates and then the rest of the way on his own. A group of lads in a car stopped along side him, almost as soon as his friends had turned into their roads and beat the living shit out of him. He was 16. He and a friend were on the train going to the WACA (during the day) and had to give up their money & phones, because they were threatened with knives and punched and kicked by a gang of both boys and girls who got on the train at Warwick. It happens everywhere. Recently our friends 14 year old was beaten to a pulp on a Sunday lunchtime down at Iluka Park by some kids who live in C'bine and Connolly. As the poor kid knew where one of the gang lived, our friends went to his house. The following w/e a large gang of kids gathered outside our friends house and started throwing rocks over the wall and at the front door and windows. The dad phoned for my OH to go up and help him sort them out, which he did, but they came back later and caused quite a bit of damage. The case is now going to court.

BTW Issie and Tracey, there are secondary schools here that have a police attendance and have done for many years.

Tracey, all I can say to you is that by reading your posts, I feel you are being too analytical and taking in all the tripe about the UK, probably much like you took in all the hype about Oz before you came here. Only you and your OH can make the decision, but for me personally, I regret enormously bringing our son here away from his extended family and always will. He has missed out on growing up with his cousins and spending precious time, holidays etc.with all our family, all of which are very close. We are going home next year when he finishes uni and nothing anyone says will make any difference. I know in my heart of hearts, even after 10½ long years here, that life for us was better back home and being with family means everything. My heart isn't here, I left it along with my soul in England. I just don't belong here. It's a shallow place and unless you have lots of $, you are pretty much stuck here with just beaches, ocean, Adventure World and parks.
I think I know how you feel....until a few weeks ago..I use to think life had not been so bad here after all and would not regret coming to Aus when I am back home..but when I looked that bit deeper..I do...I have a missed when my young nephew and neices were in their school plays...missed out on being an Auntie..a real Auntie when my brother has needed someone to help him mind his twins....(his wife works for B.A and is away an awful lot) seeing other Nephew and Neices growing up and being close and now having children...all are close to each other....and my two can only remember what it is like...they have great memories of home and hve loved being with their cousins when we have gone home for holidays...and that is why the have always to go "home".....has life been better for them here....I use to say in some ways yes...but now I see that in truth they have not.....they have not done anything different in lots of ways to what my sisters/brothers children have done...... their children have not missed out on anything, they have grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts extended family parties, extended family holidays .... with us here when you go to the beach...the park...a day out...you usually see (9 times out of 10)...families...together....we have friends but it really is not the same....not when you are from a close family....I now appreciate things about home and my family that I have never done before....it has taken over 9 yers to realise this....but that is how we feel....others don't and more than likely never will....and they love life here....as I said...that's lovely and I do wish we could wake up feeling like that....but that is never going to happen so homeward bound in 08 and we cannot wait....(that's a bit of a rhyme!!! not bad!!) we wll be that bit wiser..a lot older...but happy....regret coming here...if I am totally honest now...yes....in many ways....but that's life...
Jackie......
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Tracey - How do you know crime, muggings etc are more prolific in the UK? What can I say that I haven't said before - it's all just a load of media garabage!

I must admit one of the main reasons we moved to Perth in the first place was because we felt our kids would have a better life out there - we were worried about drugs, anti social beahviour, the stressed out education system etc. all not being perfect enough in the UK for our little darlings!

Once out in Oz I realised what a crock of sh*t it all was - life for them was no better in Oz - and in fact I felt they missed out big time not having family around and I was not impressed with the education system at all! I also realised their lives in the UK had been pretty damn good but I had just let the media rule my head and was totally taken in by all the crap constantly in the papers and on the telly (GMTV in particular!)

Like everyone says you've got to pick your areas in the UK but isn't the same true in Perth! I know there are some places I would not have stepped foot in in Perth!

We have been home for 16 months now and my kids are happier than ever - they are both loving and thriving in school, they play outside most days - if it's cold they wrap up - we spend days on the beach, at the park, in the New Forest - to say kids don't play outside 'cos of the dangers from weirdos is just bloody ridiculous (not having a go at you but whoever has told you this!). And when it is cold we can cosy up in the evening with the central heating on full blast and watch some decent telly!

But more than all that the kids have cousins, grandparents and uncles that love them very much and can be part of their lives as they grow up.

I know you've been deliberating for a while now and at then end of the day only you and you OH can make the decision but please don't let all this 'nonsense' about the UK put you off - 'cos that's what it is - complete nonsense!

Anyway best of luck with the decision making - it'll all come good you'll see!
Spot on with everything you said..the main reason we are going back is for a better life for our teenage children...if you could bottle hindsight....plug your ears to a load of cr-p you hear from people who have not been back in years or who lived in rough areas....a lot more people would be heading home....but that is my opinion....Chav spotting....down south we go "Ocker spotting"..you know the check shirt...bare feet....brigade...and that's just the women!!!.. ha ha
jackie
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TraceyW
See, this sounds fab when, like us, you have smaller kids

This is what scares me when those little kids grow up.

Oh confused.......

February will be final decision time for me. Oh sh*t. What if I make the wrong decision?
I suppose everyone see's things in a different light...my sons friend ( they live in Rockingham...and a really nice "lad") has once been jumped on and robbed of his school back...and got a good kicking...and last week...in Perth...for his earing...and anything else they could get their grubby hands.... he's 16 years old....and it's the first time ever a memember of their family has been "mugged"....they came over to Perth for a better life....not so good when things like that happen.....our other friend's son from near Nottingham says he felt safer walking home after work in the U.K (he is 16 and works after school both here in Perth and when he lived in the U.K) than he dows walking home after work here in Perth..he also says it's easier to get drugs here in Perth than "back home"...and he will tell you the did not come from a "great" area....and as I have said in the past...my nephew and neices have all grown up to be really nice people....and (thank the gods) nothing bad has ever happend to them...is it safer here....swings and roundabouts...I would say...."is it just down to luck" ? life here is not the "ideal" place it is painted out to be...real life does exsist here...no matter what the press/media try and make out...
Jackie
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pommybird
Tracey - you just can't cover every single eventuality and 'what if' - you've just got to take the plunge either way and stick to it - what if you do make the wrong decision - that's what life is all about - ups and downs, experiences and learning from our mistakes - I know it's hard but try to stop worrying yourself to death, go with your gut feeling and just see what happens.....good luck!
Good advice...we all worry about "going home" to some extent...I am worried...but that is because of all the arrangements etc...I use to think..what if...how could!! etc.. but you can worry until it makes you ill over some things that might never happen..you just have to think...."can I live here forever...do I want to grow old here...etc" and see how you feel then...we did that and came to the conclusion that we did not want to be here when we are older (yes even older than we are now!!) you just have to take that first step...and then the rest will follow....
Good luck...and we all have our opions...all different....and you can listen all the advice in the world....but you have to do what feels right...for your family and you.
Jackie
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Don't sit on the fence scoob!!!! These are your opinions and you are totally entitled to them and I'm glad you haven't felt intimidated on here to express them. As a person who has 'walked the walk' so to speak, you are able to air such strong opinions.

I hope everything goes well for you back home. Good luck to you.
Yes the longer we have lived in Perth the more you start to "see and hear"...you really only have to "dig" a little deeper and see that we will have huge problems in the future for our Children..it's such a "young" place but per population it has some major issues to deal with...I for one do not intend to be here much longer...I just hope that someone does stop all the "hype" and really start to see the problems and deal with them asap before it gets to out of control.....I have witnessed things here I have never seen in the U.K...and I worked in large hospitals in the U.K and thought I had seen everything...but alas not....just goes to show...you are always going to learn something...
Jackie
Ps good luck and best wishes for your new life in the U.K
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:05 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
We changed our mind in Australia roughly *one million times* about where we wanted to live. One issue was that we never planned to move there. A job was offered to me, and I snapped it up in about three seconds. We moved to Aus and thought, "oh, we live 12,000 miles away". (Though I don't know what can prepare anyone for such a move.) I suffered pretty extreme homesickness for a few months. Then we were 50/50, 60/40, 40/60 for a long time . I was quite open about this and generally saw pros and cons on both sides. (I even accepted a new job in Aus just before we returned, then rejected it. We didn't know what was for the best.) When we had a baby, my wife loved Aus once she found some friends as they were out every day in the park, by the beach, at the pool, etc. But family issues came into it, and I still longed for the vibe and geography of the UK as I had experienced it as a non-parent, and seeing some very good friends and family. Also I was in a low paying job (lecturer) on a single income, which did limit us somewhat (though somehow we were financially better off than we are now with me earning much more and wife working P/T). The family emphasis changed when my wife lost her Mum a week before we returned.

What we knew then is the same now - our day to day life was better in Australia, and our occasional life was better in the UK. The former is still quite true, the latter not really. What we did not account for is that what matters with a child (for us) is the day to day life because this has the most impact on our quality of life and stress. The occasional things that we enjoyed (hill walking, driving up and down the country, short breaks to Europe, going out here there and everywhere) without children are mostly now not feasible with children for us. Any enjoyment that they bring is outweighed by the sheer stress involved. As I say, this is different probably with older children, or with none. We did not factor this into our decision to return, but even if we had, it wouldn't have mattered enough until we felt it. And coming back was a great move, because had we not, we would STILL be wondering where to live, as are many other people on this forum who are still in Australia and were wondering where to live when I was there. That is not a good place to be. But in order to get out of this you have to convince yourself, one way or the other - otherwise you are stuck in Limbo. Many posts on here are from people trying to convince themselves by writing about their situation. That is a perfectly valid thing to do. It doesn't mean it will work out that way.

On moving back, the first summer was great, but come late 2006 there was no 50/50 any more - I knew we had outgrown the UK. And I have only had occasional doubts since (and none for many months). This is quite different to our time in Sydney, which was characterised by uncertainty (hence many Expat posts then, few now).

It really comes down to feelings. In Australia I experienced joy (an enormous sense of wellbeing, many times just walking to work - I put it down to sunlight), calm (again, sunlight related I think), fun (outdoors, a lot), isolation (miles from anywhere, stuck in Sydney, like living on an island), annoyance (during intense heat, especially with flies), light (important for me), positivity (infectious, sometimes annoyingly parochial), doubt (about where to live). In the UK, I experience stress (about the pace of life, traffic, cost of living), fear (about the future, about going out at night - much of it probably quite irrational on inspection), discomfort (cold, wet), dark (cloud, a lot), negativity/pessimism (among many people, expressed spontaneously and without prompting), certainty (about where to live), joy (which is unfortunately far too seasonal). I don't accept the Daily Mail view (God knows if it was the last newspaper on earth I would only use it for kindling material). I just accept my experience.

The important thing to emphasise is that these are just my feelings and perceptions, and I always try to make that clear. This is why almost everything on here is, depressingly, of very little use whatsoever in helping anyone to make a decision - most of it is simply not applicable. Everyone is in different situations with regard to expectations, values, family, interests, activities, careers, finances, etc. Even people living in places that would appall us may be more satisfied with life. We are both luck and unlucky to have a choice.

What a lovely, honest post - it shows what I have thought for a while - where we choose to live and where we are happiest is a little bit about the place but mostly it is about us as people - our thoughts, feelings and emotions and what is important to us in life - that's why I think gut feel is paramount.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:12 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

[Hi Tracy we moved back to Liverpool (Capital of culture) (shit hole) 6 months nearly now, crime is worse immigration is worse the place is dirty, a lot of people won't give you the time of day if you fell over they would just look at you the first four weeks back here i stayed in Anfeild ther was one murder three stabbings which i was a witness to one at 3.45 in the afternoon drug gangs fighting after a car chase pretty shocking for me,my brother inlaw a head police officer as told us where crazy theres no control anymore,it may be differant in other places but i wan't too go back to oz<please come for a long break and see what you think,

on the other hand I get sunday dinner at mothers and I have alot of freinds which are glad too see me back and are genuine
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If I ever try and take my (Aussie-born) daughter back to the UK for good then I should be locked-up for child abuse.
I have 2 young children in Canada

In terms of risks and dangers I don't believe there is anymore danger in the UK than Canada, despite the results of some frankly ridiculous surveys. If you look closer you will also see the results are statistically insignificant.

From my point of view the 0.00006% extra chance of my kid getting mugged at some point in London rather than if we stay in Montreal is more than made up for by far better job opportunities, Education, and travel opportunities in the UK.

Jonathan
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I dont worry at all about raising my kids in the UK, I worry very much about raising them in Australia.

I find Australian kids rude, loud with no manners or respect, in general for anything. Having spent the last couple of weeks using public transport, I am surprised to what I have witnessed - kids shouting, graffitying,littering and generally bullying old and elderly people who use public transport. It seems that their Australian parents let them out and dont care what they get up to. They take no responsibility - and to be honest, I find their Australian loud and brash voices annoy me on a daily basis.

I have spent two years working as a counsellor, and without breaching confidentiality, am more than 100% certain where I want to bring up my kids and its not here. Some of the stories I have been told, including over abuse of drugs, child sexual abuse, bullying, violence and crime have astounded me. I thought I was pretty switched on having lived in the UK, but no. I am leaving Australia for good in two days time and just cant wait to go.

But you stayed for your Oz Citizenship though didn't you? Bloody hypocrite...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

As a parent you should know that you can advise your kids until your blue in the face but at the end of the day when they go out the door they will do what they want. Be it right or wrong.
Where in the Uk did you live before going to Aus ?
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to take a long hard look at yourself. Because if this is what is driving you away, then moving countries will not help.[/QUOTE]

I have, which is why I am leaving. I am entitled to my own opinion regardless of whether you like it or not, regardless of where I have worked since I have lived in Australia.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have, which is why I am leaving. I am entitled to my own opinion regardless of whether you like it or not, regardless of where I have worked since I have lived in Australia.
You're entitled to your opinions. I'd say it's the area you live in. Australian kids where I live are a pleasure to listen to on public transport - and so our their parents - amongst other spheres of life(!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.