Diogenes Syndrome

Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diogenes Syndrome

Too much daytime TV means that I am familiar with this - more often called "Hoarding". I assumed that it was a new phenomenon but find cases going back, Look for Collyer Brothers on Wiki !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_syndrome
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diogenes Syndrome

Paah! No replies ! I should have used the title "Hoarders". No one has heard of "Diogenes Syndrome" I am away to look at my collection of old junk. Don't bother me for a few days.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 7:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Paah! No replies ! I should have used the title "Hoarders". No one has heard of "Diogenes Syndrome" I am away to look at my collection of old junk. Don't bother me for a few days.
A woman and daughter were killed by Diogenes syndrome in Alicante Spain, they had been hoarding clothes in an upstairs room, the floor of the room collapsed and they were buried under the wreckage and the weight of the clothes.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You thought this was a new phenomenon, invented by Reality TV ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There was a BBC series, I think primarily about council workers in various occupations, about 25-30 years ago, narrated by John Peel, that touched on hoarders and hoarding. One featured house had been occupied by a cat owner, who aside from filling the house with accumulated junk also solved the problem of their cats peeing and crapping on the floor by covering each "accident" with a piece of cardboard. By the time the occupant(s) were moved out there was, IIRC, more than a foot of cardboard layered on the floor, glued together with cat waste. The council crew charged with clearing up the mess had dubbed it "the lasagna house".
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There was a BBC series, I think primarily about council workers in various occupations, about 25-30 years ago, narrated by John Peel, that touched on hoarders and hoarding. One featured house had been occupied by a cat owner, who aside from filling the house with accumulated junk also solved the problem of their cats peeing and crapping on the floor by covering each "accident" with a piece of cardboard. By the time the occupant(s) were moved out there was, IIRC, more than a foot of cardboard layered on the floor, glued together with cat waste. The council crew charged with clearing up the mess had dubbed it "the lasagna house".
Jasmine Harman, best known for presenting 'A Place in the Sun' made a series for the BBC called 'Britain's biggest Hoarders' which was a spin off from a programme about her hoarder mother. Since then she has worked with a psychologist to get compulsive hoarding classed as a disease.