Day/short trips from London

Old Jul 30th 2016, 11:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Day/short trips from London

I've been here for 9 months now and two of my Oz sisters are planning (separate) visits to stay with us.

One sister is well travelled and apart from toodling around Liverpool and North Wales, we'll be pretty much staying put. Unless we get the urge for a quick sister trip to Europe

The other sister hasn't been to the UK at all, and her wishes are a bit more complicated. She'll base herself at our house, with a few side trips. She'd like to do a coach tour of Ireland (Republic of), which she is doing on her own because I hate long coach trips! But she also wants to rent an apartment in London for a week or two, and I'll take the train down to join her there at some stage.

Can anyone recommend any day trips, or overnighters, from London? I don't think she's overly fussed about destinations, but she would like to see Stonehenge. Knowing her as I do, I'm thinking scenic/quaint/quintessentially English would make her very happy. She was also talking about seeing the places she's read about in Georgette Heyer novels, but not being a fan I have no idea what she's talking about! She loves fine dining (gawd) and theatre, but London will sort those out.

The trips would need to include train or bus/coach transport, as scouse, the dog and the car are staying home. Any destinations or companies come to mind? Many thanks for any exertions (and excursions) on my sister's and my behalf
Old Jul 30th 2016, 11:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day/short trips from London

It's a hour and a half by train from London Victoria to Eastbourne if you want to walk up and see Beachy Head. Glorious views if the weather is good.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been here for 9 months now and two of my Oz sisters are planning (separate) visits to stay with us.

One sister is well travelled and apart from toodling around Liverpool and North Wales, we'll be pretty much staying put. Unless we get the urge for a quick sister trip to Europe

The other sister hasn't been to the UK at all, and her wishes are a bit more complicated. She'll base herself at our house, with a few side trips. She'd like to do a coach tour of Ireland (Republic of), which she is doing on her own because I hate long coach trips! But she also wants to rent an apartment in London for a week or two, and I'll take the train down to join her there at some stage.

Can anyone recommend any day trips, or overnighters, from London? I don't think she's overly fussed about destinations, but she would like to see Stonehenge. Knowing her as I do, I'm thinking scenic/quaint/quintessentially English would make her very happy. She was also talking about seeing the places she's read about in Georgette Heyer novels, but not being a fan I have no idea what she's talking about! She loves fine dining (gawd) and theatre, but London will sort those out.

The trips would need to include train or bus/coach transport, as scouse, the dog and the car are staying home. Any destinations or companies come to mind? Many thanks for any exertions (and excursions) on my sister's and my behalf
I came across this: Regency London: Let a romantic novelist be your guide - Telegraph

It goes back a few years but may be of help.

If your sister wants to see Stonehenge, that would work as a short hop from London and you should be able to find something that would combine it with a visit to nearby Salisbury.

Depending on when your sister's coming, what about a trip to Highclere Castle in Berkshire? I say "depending when" because castle tours are held only at certain times of the year you have to book tickets well in advance. It would appear they sell out quickly thanks to the Downton Abbey factor.

Oxford is also popular, I've not been to that area myself recently but hubby worked a contract there a few years ago and he loved the architecture. Hastings and Canterbury are also relatively short hops by train from London.

If you want to venture a bit further afield from London, what about York or Harrogate? (These would probably be easier from home base). When it gets down to it, there's all sorts to see on this little island of ours.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Georgette Heyer type places - head out to the west and take in Stonehenge, then go on to Bath. Perfect for the Regency
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Georgette Heyer's novel Regency Buck is set partly in Brighton, which is an easy daytrip from London. In the novel, the Prince Regent makes a pass at the heroine, when she attends a ball at the Brighton Pavilion.

In London, your sister should try this walk:Regency London: Let a romantic novelist be your guide - Telegraph
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Georgette Heyer's novel Regency Buck is set partly in Brighton, which is an easy daytrip from London. In the novel, the Prince Regent makes a pass at the heroine, when she attends a ball at the Brighton Pavilion.

In London, your sister should try this walk:Regency London: Let a romantic novelist be your guide - Telegraph
The Pavilion is well worth a visit - always used to go there with my Dad when he came down to visit and its breathtaking no matter no many times you go round!
Old Jul 30th 2016, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Georgette Heyer type places - head out to the west and take in Stonehenge, then go on to Bath. Perfect for the Regency
Friend of mine did just this trip on a bus tour which went out of Victoria Station. Seems to be loads of bus trips around the UK

I'd also just get on the tube and visit Kew Gardens and Richmond area.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 9:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're bloody stars, every one of you. If we can't get a few good days out of that there's something wrong with us. Thanks!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:35 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

You're bloody stars, every one of you. If we can't get a few good days out of that there's something wrong with us. Thanks!
This is in London rather than outside ... the National Trust have some fabulous houses in Greater London. Osterley, on the Piccadilly Line a few stops before Heathrow, is outstanding. It's a great 18th century house in a beautiful park with pleasant gardens. You wouldn't know you were in London, except every xx seconds, when a plane flies over very low, approaching LHR to land. It's a ten minute walk from Osterley station.

Fenton house in Hampstead is very good too. I think it is early 18th century, very interesting musical instrument collection, lovely gardens.

Plenty of more rural NT great houses are accessible less than an hour from London. Knole House, Petworh, Polesden Lacey, to name just three.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:47 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

There is also Kenwood House in Hampstead, which was the home of Lord Mansfield. The last time I was there was before it was renovated, but I remember one of Romney's lovely portraits of Emma Hamilton.

Which, reminds me that, for a lover of Regency romances, a visit to Uppark would be rewarding. Emma Hamilton is supposed to have kick-started her upward mobility by dancing naked on Uppark's dining room table.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:22 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did Warwick and Stratford upon Avon a couple of years back....Fabulous if she likes the history.
Bath I agree with it's amazing.
Also, Windsor?
Old Aug 1st 2016, 7:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
There is also Kenwood House in Hampstead, which was the home of Lord Mansfield. The last time I was there was before it was renovated, but I remember one of Romney's lovely portraits of Emma Hamilton.

Which, reminds me that, for a lover of Regency romances, a visit to Uppark would be rewarding. Emma Hamilton is supposed to have kick-started her upward mobility by dancing naked on Uppark's dining room table.
Now that the NT have gone all touchy feely, I believe they do a regular re-enactment of the dining room table thing (apparently no shortage of room steward volunteers.)
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Now that the NT have gone all touchy feely, I believe they do a regular re-enactment of the dining room table thing (apparently no shortage of room steward volunteers.)
Now that's an idea!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for National Trust, they have some great properties, and a lot within easy reach of London (sign up for NT Scotland rather than the 'normal' NT if you want an annual membership - much cheaper and you can visit all UK properties).

Apologies if some of this has been said above, but day trips from London for me would be Windsor, Oxford, Bath, Cotswolds, beaches (West Wittering etc), and the New Forest. I'm not familiar with anywhere the other side of London, so hopefully others will come up with some good ideas for there.

Hope she has fun.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going to London and wanting to take trips away from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.