Countryside with London commute ?

Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:30 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countryside with London commute ?

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
have found this site useful
www.commutefrom.co.uk

Good luck
That's a great link. Thank-you.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm just been forwarded a job with 2 days a week in the office in Richmond (flexi post).

From Trent Valley Lichfield return it costs just £18.50 with virgin. 1hr16mins.
plus the tube to richmond. £8.50
not too bad for 2 days a week. maybe short term I could manage that.
there are two other jobs in Lichfield I will possibly apply to which would be ideal.

Last edited by alfista1; Feb 18th 2014 at 4:50 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
hmm just been forwarded a job with 2 days a week in the office in Richmond (flexi post).

From Trent Valley Lichfield return it costs just £18.50 with virgin. 1hr16mins.
plus the tube to richmond. £8.50
not too bad for 2 days a week. maybe short term I could manage that.
there are two other jobs in Lichfield I will possibly apply to which would be ideal.
Hmmm, if you can do it, then I don't want to rain on your parade. But, for a 9 a.m start you'd have to get the 6.41 train. If it is 9 to 5 that is a very long day, but I suppose it is doable if only 2 days a week.

Are you intending to travel at the time that fare is available? The cheapest ticket I can find for the 6.45 train is £134 return, and that is just to Euston, not including the ticket for the tube, and assuming you bought a network railcard.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Hmmm, if you can do it, then I don't want to rain on your parade. But, for a 9 a.m start you'd have to get the 6.41 train. If it is 9 to 5 that is a very long day, but I suppose it is doable if only 2 days a week.

Are you intending to travel at the time that fare is available? The cheapest ticket I can find for the 6.45 train is £134 return, and that is just to Euston, not including the ticket for the tube, and assuming you bought a network railcard.
Train line app gave me 18.50 return leaving about 7.12am booking weeks in advance.
Tube 8.50 return. Used to long days. The other three days will compensate.
Yes long days but I can also use the virgin train to catch up on work.
I imagine the office hours will be flexible.

Last edited by alfista1; Feb 18th 2014 at 6:44 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
Train line app gave me 18.50 return leaving about 7.12am booking weeks in advance.
Tube 8.50 return. Used to long days. The other three days will compensate.
Yes long days but I can also use the virgin train to catch up on work.
I imagine the office hours will be flexible.
That sounds good. We were in the north of the county, so a daily commute was completely impossible. It still surprises me that it is possible from Lichfield. Lichfield is a lovely city, I have good memories of visits there.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Editha
That sounds good. We were in the north of the county, so a daily commute was completely impossible. It still surprises me that it is possible from Lichfield. Lichfield is a lovely city, I have good memories of visits there.
It is lovely isn't it?
My parents chose to move there about 20 years ago from Wirral.
My wife has been there just once and loved it straight away.

We want to raise our son there. Houses are affordable, it has a community spirit and everywhere is clean and relatively safe.

The virgin train from trent valley travels at high speed to London. short commute and cheap if you book in advance.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:01 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Staffordshire is a much nicer county than people realise. Even Stoke on Trent is a much pleasanter place than its reputation makes it out to be.

We lived near Leek on the edge of the Peak District.