Countdown

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown

Originally Posted by Editha
We are using Upakweship, which is as it says on the can.
We used Upakweship from US to UK. All went well and arrived secure at this end.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I've decided not to attempt to back up our entire systems on Dropbox or other cloud storage. It takes too long to upload, and slows down our internet while doing so, plus we'd have to pay for that amount of storage.

Instead we are using thumb drives and an external hard drive. We also have an Apple time capsule.
We backed up all files onto an external hard drive and carried it back with us.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
We used Upakweship from US to UK. All went well and arrived secure at this end.
Thanks! That's good to hear.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

We backed up all files onto an external hard drive and carried it back with us.
We are taking our laptops and iPads with us on the plane.

I want to take the Apple time capsule in our luggage, though it is quite heavy, but it will assist setting up our computer network at our new home.

We'll have the thumb drives with us too. I'm thinking of putting the external hard drive in the container. Since we are getting rid of our desktops, there is no other computer kit to go in.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are taking our laptops and iPads with us on the plane.

I want to take the Apple time capsule in our luggage, though it is quite heavy, but it will assist setting up our computer network at our new home.

We'll have the thumb drives with us too. I'm thinking of putting the external hard drive in the container. Since we are getting rid of our desktops, there is no other computer kit to go in.
I think it worth splitting it for minimum risk purpose, in addition to caried hard drive our desktop went with shippers, a copy of our home files went onto my work laptop (I was keeping the same job UK to US) and I had employer air-ship my work laptop and monitor etc.

One other just-in-case thing we did was to make copies of critical docs like Wills and air-shipped the originals to family back home in unlikely event the plane with us and all our stuff went down (it happens)

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 3rd 2014 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I think it worth splitting it for minimum risk purpose, in addition to caried hard drive our desktop went with shippers, a copy of our home files went onto my work laptop (I was keeping the same job UK to US) and I had employer air-ship my work laptop and monitor etc.

One other just-in-case thing we did was to make copies of critical docs like Wills and air-shipped the originals to family back home in unlikely event the plane with us and all our stuff went down (it happens)
If we go down with our plane, I really don't care whether our paperwork is in order or not. In the time honoured tradition of lawyers, I've never made a will because nobody paid me for doing so. The task is perpetually at the bottom of my To Do List.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

08 numbers are a pain. I've had to get my brother, who is in the UK, to deal with setting up utilities for my house in Devon, because the companies all use 08 numbers and I cannot contact them from abroad.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

08 numbers are a pain. I've had to get my brother, who is in the UK, to deal with setting up utilities for my house in Devon, because the companies all use 08 numbers and I cannot contact them from abroad.
You can call shared cost 08 numbers if you have Skype credit. They are not included in Skype subscription plans though.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You can call shared cost 08 numbers if you have Skype credit. They are not included in Skype subscription plans though.
Thanks for that info. It did not occur to me to try using Skype.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Odd... I think I called a UK 0800 number from here before, I had a software program that came from the UK and the support was UK based. I dialed (from my mobile) - +44 800 xxxxxxxx

But google "no0800" and a bunch of websites come and you type in the 08 number, and it gives you the alternative +44 77 xxx number to call.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:13 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Odd... I think I called a UK 0800 number from here before, I had a software program that came from the UK and the support was UK based. I dialed (from my mobile) - +44 800 xxxxxxxx

But google "no0800" and a bunch of websites come and you type in the 08 number, and it gives you the alternative +44 77 xxx number to call.
I don't think so. The only sites I can find allow people to phone 0800 numbers from a mobile without paying the charges, or give an alternative 0800 number (which is free from a landline) to an 08700 number, which is charged at a higher rate.

I can't find any which would enable me to phone from abroad.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so. The only sites I can find allow people to phone 0800 numbers from a mobile without paying the charges, or give an alternative 0800 number (which is free from a landline) to an 08700 number, which is charged at a higher rate.

I can't find any which would enable me to phone from abroad.
Try this
http://www.saynoto0870.com
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Of use Skype on a smartphone UK 0800 numbers are even free with Skype.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:51 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I've tried that one already. It doesn't provide any numbers I can ring from Canada.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:01 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Of use Skype on a smartphone UK 0800 numbers are even free with Skype.
Somebody else suggested that. I tried it and just got the message 'invalid phone number'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.