Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Originally Posted by mikelincs
When we moved back to the UK from Spain, we had to sign a form to say we had no assets in Spain before we were allowed to claim any sort of benefit
Yes, I saw and remembered your earlier post. All part of the ever changing habitual residency rules introduced in 1994. Although assets, wherever held, have always been an aspect of means tested benefits.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Essentially it's expected that one has to be habitually or normally resident in the UK to qualify for the benefit - albeit different benefits have different rules.

It may thus be reasonably inferred that one has a home elsewhere (this might, for example, apply to Brits who live abroad and when visiting the UK like to avail themselves of some benefits - monetary or otherwise -) or that one has left what was a home elsewhere and would still be available but for the decision to make it not so.

None of this can be said of the stateless or asylum seeker, hence the requirement (or qualifying period) not applying.
Still strange a non-citizen can qualify immediately for benefits that a British citizen cant.

I asked because I glanced at the rules and they seem a bit confusing, one part says one has to be here a minimum of three months before applying, but another says depends on ones connection to where one is moving too- but council tax can be due straight away !
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, I saw and remembered your earlier post. All part of the ever changing habitual residency rules introduced in 1994. Although assets, wherever held, have always been an aspect of means tested benefits.
My impression is that rules changed again and now test is that one has to be here 90 days, though as I posted government website seems to imply other items matter such as council tax or bank account etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Asylum seekers do not qualify immediately for the same benefits as a British or EU citizen. They get a flat rate of £36.95 a week to cover all their needs except housing. As for housing, they are housed, but must accept housing anywhere, usually outside London and the South-East.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
It is.

My husband talks about returning to the UK from living abroad and people labeling him a 'failure'. He says they don't understand that life in the US isn't really what they think it is. But it would bother him, nonetheless.

I could probably go into quite a long explanation of what my husband thinks of the current UK government and its stance on benefits and the people who use them. It's not your 'typical' opinion either (by that I mean either a left or right wing one). He grew up with Thatcher-ism while living through the Troubles. We could go on all day, if you get my drift.

My husband knows he could go back to the UK and still find most of society's safety nets in place for him, a British citizen. So that doesn't bother him.

My husband has always said there is a 'class' (for lack of a better term) of people who use benefits as a lifestyle. But because he was raised British he also believes that benefits are there to help people through legitimate rough times. He says he never felt ashamed to take benefits when he needed them. For him it wasn't a permanent situation and there was no stigma attached to it.

What does bother him is that through and using the excuse of immigration policy, the government has drawn a bright line in the sand of who is a valuable member of British society and who is not. He does not feel 'good enough' to return to the UK with his foreign wife. The government put a price on who earns enough. He never did earn that much even though he worked. It's like a poke in the eye for having worked instead of sitting on his butt and drawing benefits.

So he's pretty much unwilling to take on the societal stigma of a loser coming back to the UK, along with the government hurdles of being married to an immigrant pariah.

RebeccaJo
How so right you are about life in the US. It definitely isn't all that.
I've been here for 47 years and believe me, if I had a chance to move to the UK tomorrow, I would.

Here in the US, there's a class of people who also use benefits as a lifestyle.
But that's because (and this is my opinion) the American government want people to be dependent.

P.S. Your husband is not a loser for wanting to return to England. Anybody who's got anything to say to him should look at themselves before passing judgment.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:15 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
RebeccaJo
How so right you are about life in the US. It definitely isn't all that.
I've been here for 47 years and believe me, if I had a chance to move to the UK tomorrow, I would.

Here in the US, there's a class of people who also use benefits as a lifestyle.
But that's because (and this is my opinion) the American government want people to be dependent.

P.S. Your husband is not a loser for wanting to return to England. Anybody who's got anything to say to him should look at themselves before passing judgment.
How fitting for that 'old' writing of mine to have been resurrected. As such, it seems as good a place as any to write down our news.

My husband and I won't be returning to the UK to live. My husband suffered a heart attack in late October. We took him to hospital, and they performed a heart cath on him for three blockages to the main left artery that wraps around the heart. He did extraordinarily well at first. It is all a very long and truly horrifying story but after two weeks in hospital, he died from numerous complications.

I will be returning to his home city in the spring, to bring his ashes home. After that trip, I doubt I will visit the UK again.

At my husband's memorial, it was evident he was no "loser". The service was packed with chairs filled even around the wall. Nearly everyone he worked with attended. Also some of the people he had cared for and their families were there.

He was only 53 years old.

And I am as lost as I can possibly be.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

How fitting for that 'old' writing of mine to have been resurrected. As such, it seems as good a place as any to write down our news.

My husband and I won't be returning to the UK to live. My husband suffered a heart attack in late October. We took him to hospital, and they performed a heart cath on him for three blockages to the main left artery that wraps around the heart. He did extraordinarily well at first. It is all a very long and truly horrifying story but after two weeks in hospital, he died from numerous complications.

I will be returning to his home city in the spring, to bring his ashes home. After that trip, I doubt I will visit the UK again.

At my husband's memorial, it was evident he was no "loser". The service was packed with chairs filled even around the wall. Nearly everyone he worked with attended. Also some of the people he had cared for and their families were there.

Rebecca Jo - So very sorry to hear this. Such a sad story to hear at Christmas, even though this happened earlier. Please accept my condolences, and I hope the new year is better for you.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Rebeccajo,I am so sorry to read that, you poor thing, I can only imagine how lost you feel.

Sending you hugs and strength to help you find your way forward x
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am so saddened to read this news from you RebeccaJo.
He was far too young and is gone far too soon.

Hugs from all across the miles.

M
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@ rebeccajo

My condolences to you.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rebecca, so sorry to hear your news. I hope every day becomes a little easier to deal with. Take care. X
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am very sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you and if you need shoulders to cry on...you know where we are...either on the forums or in private.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:47 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry for your loss Rebeccajo.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry, RebeccaJo.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 12:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So very sad to read about the loss of your husband rebeccajo. What a good man he must have been for you to love him so much, and for so many people to be there to pay their respects and say goodbye to him.

Do the best you can for now, eat properly and talk with people who love and support you, your husband would want you to be safe and well.

Take care love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.