Car Insurance

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:12 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
Editha Aviva is the company I went with too ... the A plan insurance broker who did a search for car insurance for me told me that Aviva are a very good company for expats as they are one of the few companies that take into account driving experience from abroad. That said, I had no driving history in terms of my own insurance as I hadn't driven for the last 4 years so my premium (which includes RAC membership) is high - 644 pounds for the year (on a 2 year old Hyundai i10 Classic). But it will go down when I renew it next year and it's an awful lot cheaper than Canadian premiums.
EM, did you give them a copy of your driving record/abstract (shows all driving infractions or confirms that you have none) from the provincial govt? I had my claims experience and driving record which helped me get a much better rate with my insurer. Even if you can't provide a claims history it is still worth giving them a driving record as underwriters usually take this into account when arriving at a cost.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Car Insurance

This link to Aviva (I think it's the new name for Norwich Union Insurance) which shows the list of countries from which they will accept no-claims bonuses from returning expats (click on the blue text):

Aviva - Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Travel, Life, Health and Investments

It includes most of the usual countries where British expats traditionally have resided eg. Australia, NZ, Hong Kong, Canada, USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe, BVI & Barbados and more - plus of course the EU and EEA.

They are asking for proof of your No Claims Discount which should:

Be in English
Be on official company headed paper
Be in the main driver's name
Show the vehicle details
Confirm the number of years the NCD was built up over
Show the date the policy expired

Your NCD from your last policy overseas will be valid for bringing down your insurance rate from Aviva for 2 years after the expiration of your last policy
as long as you haven't used it to take out another insurance policy elsewhere.

Btw; I phoned Aviva today as I'm off to the UK in August and asked if I could get short term car insurance to use a relative's car for a couple of weeks (Switzerland isn't in the EU or EEA, yet I had to trade in my British driving licence to get a Swiss one). The lady at Aviva was very pleasant and found out for me....she says it will probably work out to be 40 pounds for insurance coverage for a fortnight (you can have it from 1 day to 28 days and it doesn't affect the car owner's NCD if you have an incident).
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

What if you've driven a company car for 'x' amount of years without an accident? Anyway that NCB can be transferred?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Aviva is an multinational company. Our household and car insurance was with them in Canada. They took over Norwich Union some years ago.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Aviva is an multinational company. Our household and car insurance was with them in Canada. They took over Norwich Union some years ago.
I wonder if thats why they didn't even ask for copies of my No Claims. Maybe they checked it themselves.