Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch

Well done Canadianscarf, I didn't really see that one coming, although looking back the clues were there.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Yes I'd recommend giving The Village another go.. I watched the first episode and it wasn't bad. I missed the second one and I think it was the third one on telly last night, but I fell asleep and missed that one too, so I have to catch up as well.
Just watched the first 3 episodes of The Village. It's brilliant!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Just watched the first 3 episodes of The Village. It's brilliant!
I watched the first episode and part of the second. When I saw (and heard) kids throwing rocks at that little dog resulting in the poor thing's death, that was it for me. I don't support programs that include that sort of thing whether real or implied. When we see cruelty and violence on TV in one show after another, it has a subtle effect of numbing us to it and I refuse to be numbed.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 23rd 2013 at 11:09 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Broadchurch WILL return for a second series, and the people who live in West Bay where the series was filmed are delighted, they've had a huge rise in tourism since the series started.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I watched the first episode and part of the second. When I saw (and heard) kids throwing rocks at that little dog resulting in the poor thing's death, that was it for me. I don't support programs that include that sort of thing whether real or implied. When we see cruelty and violence on TV in one show after another, it has a subtle effect of numbing us to it and I refuse to be numbed.
Unfortunately, this was based on his life, and includes the raw, gritty aspects of it, along with the more uplifting times.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Broadchurch WILL return for a second series, and the people who live in West Bay where the series was filmed are delighted, they've had a huge rise in tourism since the series started.
Excellent article in the telegraph: SPOILER ALERT!!!!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...de-review.html
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:09 pm
Concierge

Unfortunately, this was based on his life, and includes the raw, gritty aspects of it, along with the more uplifting times.
Yes, but it's all fictional, not a true story, so didn't need to be so graphical, which would also apply if it haad been a true story.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:11 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Canadianscarf, I didn't really see that one coming, although looking back the clues were there.
I didn't get it quite right. Right person, wrong motive.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:15 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the series of Broadchurch was extremely well done.
Spoiler:
I thought the last episode was very good - revealing the murderer early in the episode and then tying it all together rather than the usual 5 minute explanation at the end. Very harrowing.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, but it's all fictional, not a true story, so didn't need to be so graphical, which would also apply if it haad been a true story.
Oh, I thought it was factual. As upsetting as it was, I think the point remains though. There are a lot worse things every day on the news...which is real. I read a quote about the writer and producers who said they wanted to present something that was as authentic as possible. No doubt their research led them to include that scene for better or for worse.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's after 9pm. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
It's after 9pm. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
I find Broadchurch to be a lot more disturbing, personally, but I think we all identify with things based on our own experiences. It wouldn't be a matter of just not watching, though. How would you know that there would be a scene included that would be upsetting to you? You take a chance every time you turn on that box. Probably why I have stopped watching the news...
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I find Broadchurch to be a lot more disturbing, personally, but I think we all identify with things based on our own experiences. It wouldn't be a matter of just not watching, though. How would you know that there would be a scene included that would be upsetting to you? You take a chance every time you turn on that box. Probably why I have stopped watching the news...
You can't please everyone. If it's after 9pm it's fair game in my view. If you come across something you don't like then turn it off. You take the chance after 9pm there is something 'adult' in the viewing that potentially could upset someone.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I thought the series of Broadchurch was extremely well done.
Spoiler:
I thought the last episode was very good - revealing the murderer early in the episode and then tying it all together rather than the usual 5 minute explanation at the end. Very harrowing.
Yes, the fact that they fully tied things up, with the effect finding out who it was had on the rest of the people, a well written and crafted story.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I thought it was factual. As upsetting as it was, I think the point remains though. There are a lot worse things every day on the news...which is real. I read a quote about the writer and producers who said they wanted to present something that was as authentic as possible. No doubt their research led them to include that scene for better or for worse.
I no longer read newspapers or watch news on TV. I don't go to news sites on the Internet unless I hear of a major catastrophe somewhere - and then I only glance at it.

I found it all much too stressful for me. Living here is bad enough without inviting more stress for myself, so I decided to make my own life. I take what I like and leave the rest - always marched to the beat of a different drum

I do have a smartphone but I control "it"; it doesn't control me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.