Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Oct 10th 2014, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is no way she would ever get through first base screening with the CIA. She tells her bosses what she is and what she isn't going to do...goes against protocol...takes medical leave and is on meds for bipolar disorder and yet she still has a job. Also the opening scene...a child (Carrie) watching TV on 9/11. 10 years later...she an adult working for the CIA...in what seems a important position...has already spent time working for them undercover in the Middle East. How old is she supposed to be? Totally ridiculous.
Chill, it's entertainment. Not based on a true story.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Chill, it's entertainment. Not based on a true story.
You call that entertainment?
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, suspension of disbelief in a fictional story is fine, up to a point but even in sci-fi there comes a point where excessive illogicality starts to grind. Then it stops being entertaining because you realise a primary school kid could write a better script and plot.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

You call that entertainment?

Apart from the Carrie character being totally implausible and extremely annoying. I'm afraid after series 2 I could no longer bear to watch or listen to her.
That'd be 24 episodes, to make your mind your whether you were being entertained or not.

........or was it Damien Lewis that kept you going.

Each to their own though. It would be a boring world if it wasn't.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
IMO, suspension of disbelief in a fictional story is fine, up to a point but even in sci-fi there comes a point where excessive illogicality starts to grind. Then it stops being entertaining because you realise a primary school kid could write a better script and plot.
Artistic license.

You mean to tell me real spies don't prefer their martinis shaken not stirred. Well I never.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Artistic license.

You mean to tell me real spies don't prefer their martinis shaken not stirred. Well I never.
If that's an artistic license, where can I get one from? I want to make a fortune from writing sophomoric rubbish, too.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That'd be 24 episodes, to make your mind your whether you were being entertained or not.

........or was it Damien Lewis that kept you going.

Each to their own though. It would be a boring world if it wasn't.
My husband wanted to watch it but after two series he couldnt take any more.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If that's an artistic license, where can I get one from? I want to make a fortune from writing sophomoric rubbish, too.
+1
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...tells her bosses what she is and what she isn't going to do...goes against protocol...takes medical leave and is on meds...
And what makes this any more unrealistic than any other cop/spy/secret agent/lawyer/teacher leading a double life/private detective/priest/psychologist/profiler TV show or movie whose character is a maverick/ plays outside the rules/alcoholic/dysfunctional/drug user/gambling addict/anger management issues etc etc who despite all that mostly gets decisions right?
Old Nov 4th 2014, 1:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Saw most of first episode of Gracepoint. Then life took a diversion and I've not seen it since. Have to catch up.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 7:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Is anyone watching the latest BBC drama, "The Missing" starring that fine actor James Nesbitt? (Part 2 is on tonight).

It's riveting; a suspense/thriller 8-part series about a 5 year old boy who goes missing whilst on a family holiday in northern France (I think it was mostly filmed in Belgium). It brings to mind the unresolved case of Madeleine McCann who went missing from her bedroom during a family holiday in the Algarve, Portugal.

It commences in the USA on the Starz channel on 15th November at 9pm.

It has rave reviews - according to the Guardian - "Hauntingly brilliant television":

The Missing review – hauntingly brilliant television | Television & radio | The Guardian

The Missing, review: 'supremely compelling' - Telegraph

The Missing: James Nesbitt on his new BBC1 drama - and working on The Hobbit films

Trailer for US audiences:

STARZ - The Missing - A STARZ Original Series
Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:34 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone other than Bristol, watch Gracepoint yet?

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 4th 2014 at 10:37 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Yes, it seems strange having David Tennant in it but none of the other UK cast. I keep thinking the other characters look wrong. Following much the same script but with a differnet emphasis on who the suspects might be.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kimilseung
No. Watching a much drawn out Broadchurch was quite enough...I couldn't possibly put myself through that torture a second time.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:41 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Is anyone watching the latest BBC drama, "The Missing" starring that fine actor James Nesbitt? (Part 2 is on tonight).

It's riveting; a suspense/thriller 8-part series about a 5 year old boy who goes missing whilst on a family holiday in northern France (I think it was mostly filmed in Belgium). It brings to mind the unresolved case of Madeleine McCann who went missing from her bedroom during a family holiday in the Algarve, Portugal.

It commences in the USA on the Starz channel on 15th November at 9pm.

It has rave reviews - according to the Guardian - "Hauntingly brilliant television":

The Missing review – hauntingly brilliant television | Television & radio | The Guardian

The Missing, review: 'supremely compelling' - Telegraph

The Missing: James Nesbitt on his new BBC1 drama - and working on The Hobbit films

Trailer for US audiences:

STARZ - The Missing - A STARZ Original Series

Does it? I watched it and while I enjoyed it I didn't 't feel like it bore much resemblance to that case... Not that I wanted it too either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.