Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by lf1
Marvellous, this Thursday, BBC2 @ 9 pm. True story of a man whose mother worried that he wouldn't be able to take care of himself after she died. Described by one critic as "unmissable".
Sounds like my mother and brother wholived at home 'til he was 40!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Marvellous, this Thursday, BBC2 @ 9 pm. True story of a man whose mother worried that he wouldn't be able to take care of himself after she died. Described by one critic as "unmissable".
Isn't it more about the extraordinary life he lived though - and how he defied - and still is defying - expectations rather then about his Mothers worry which may be a small part of it as Neil Baldwin does have what have been determined are learning difficulties? Every interview I have seen regarding this one off film talks about how he just got on and lived his life and sees the positive in everything around him. I am looking forwards to it as it does sound pretty good.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Isn't it more about the extraordinary life he lived though - and how he defied - and still is defying - expectations rather then about his Mothers worry which may be a small part of it as Neil Baldwin does have what have been determined are learning difficulties? Every interview I have seen regarding this one off film talks about how he just got on and lived his life and sees the positive in everything around him. I am looking forwards to it as it does sound pretty good.
Yes, but I couldn't be bothered typing all that. I am just alerting people to its airing and they can google for more info. Lazy cow me.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Cilla - If that's the actress singing, she's bloody good. Not a bad actress either. Can't say the same for the lads who played the Beatles though.

Blacklist - Couldn't get into it, too much OTT action.

One on Netflix that IMHO is very good is 'The Killing'. Half way though the last series. Worth a try. It don't half rain a lot in Seattle though.

Chasing shadows - Once I got used to the lead character, I'm quite enjoying it. He played a very good role as the husband in 'The widower'

I shall give 'The Assets' a try.

Three popular Netflix programmes I could not get into, 'Dexter', 'House of cards' and ' Orange and black'. Yet some people rave about them !!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

New series of Lewis starts on October 10th here in the UK:

ITV Sets Premiere Date For 'Lewis' Season 8 - TVWise

I hope it is as good as the previous 7 series as I really enjoyed those.

ETA: Just saw on the same web-page that Granchester starts on the 6th October also on ITV:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/09/itv-...-grantchester/

I enjoyed the first book - haven't read the second one yet - so hope they have done it justice.

Last edited by Lorac05; Sep 24th 2014 at 7:02 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that website, had not seen it before
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Cilla - If that's the actress singing, she's bloody good. Not a bad actress either. Can't say the same for the lads who played the Beatles though.
Yes, Sheridan Smith was singing. Peaky Blinders is back next week, BBC2.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Blacklist - Couldn't get into it, too much OTT action.

One on Netflix that IMHO is very good is 'The Killing'. Half way though the last series. Worth a try. It don't half rain a lot in Seattle though.

Chasing shadows - Once I got used to the lead character, I'm quite enjoying it. He played a very good role as the husband in 'The widower'

I shall give 'The Assets' a try.

Three popular Netflix programmes I could not get into, 'Dexter', 'House of cards' and ' Orange and black'. Yet some people rave about them !!
Did you know this is a US re-make of a Scandi drama? Actually, the Scandi version is far superior - I found the actress playing the main part in the US version very irritating. I don't know why US TV and film-makers feel they have to re-make foreign movies and TV dramas - maybe they think the audience is too stupid to read subtitles or adapt to a regional English accent.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I love Sheridan Smith, I think she is a fantastic actress and singer. However, I just couldn't get into Cilla at all. Perhaps I will try another time.

Loving Chasing Shadows and Scott & Bailey.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had know idea Cilla could sing so well!!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:48 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the green thumbs, 2 new shows coming up:

Big Dreams, Small Spaces - Monty Don presents 10 small garden renos. BBC 2 late October. Time tbc.

Glorious Gardens From Above - Christine Walkden presents 15 part series on UK gardens and how they have influenced her career. Starts 6 Oct, weekdays @ 3.15 pm on BBC1.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Did you know this is a US re-make of a Scandi drama? Actually, the Scandi version is far superior - I found the actress playing the main part in the US version very irritating. I don't know why US TV and film-makers feel they have to re-make foreign movies and TV dramas - maybe they think the audience is too stupid to read subtitles or adapt to a regional English accent.
Yes, it was mentioned in the credits. The role she played was irritating/frustrating. I thought she played it well. Finished the series last night.

I agree with your comments about foreign TV and movies. I owned a video rental company in the UK. Subtitled films rarely recouped the outlay.

............ and I've still to watch 'Das Boot'.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't know why US TV and film-makers feel they have to re-make foreign movies and TV dramas - maybe they think the audience is too stupid to read subtitles or adapt to a regional English accent.
I can kind of understand remaking foreign language stuff. I mean, there's plenty of resistance to subtitles from British viewers and without wishing to be too insulting to Americans, their resistance is probably greater.

To be fair, there have been a few British remakes of foreign language stuff too.

But I really don't get the need to remake English stuff unless they have an aversion to the story taking place outside the US.

It seems compulsory for every American show to have a British actor or two these days so they must be used to the accents.

Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing how Gracepoint (Broadchurch) turns out.

One day I'll investigate the Israeli show that Homeland is based on.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well 'Marvellous' was just that - absolutely marvellous!! I would recommend it to anyone!!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Well 'Marvellous' was just that - absolutely marvellous!! I would recommend it to anyone!!
Wait for the sequel, Ruddy Marvellous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.