British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/broadchurch-other-uk-tv-programs-792768/)

lf1 May 27th 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11276097)
"Kingdom" starring Stephen Fry was a series I quite enjoyed. Set on the Norfolk coast, Fry plays a country solicitor. His sister is a bit off the wall but she grew on me.

I can never get enough of Heartbeat even though I think I must have seen every episode ever made. I guess it did have its share of crime over the years and heaven knows being a copper or a doctor carried somewhat disastrous consequences; however, the stories brought back happy memories of a simpler time.

I love "The Royal" and can seldom resist watching if I see it on though these days I'll more often end up shedding tears for that beautiful North Yorkshire coast we had to leave behind.

Foyle's War - I never get tired of it even with the inevitable crime element. Michael Kitchen is absolutely superb.

A couple of favorite films would be "Calendar Girls" - you can't help but love those resourceful Yorkshire ladies! Secondly, another favorite, which coincidentally I have just found to be airing as I type is "Goodnight Mister Tom". A grumpy old West Country widower portrayed by John Thaw (one of his final works I believe), is enlisted to take in a young boy evacuated out of the London bombings during WW2.

Curlytops, I think we were separated at birth. I love Foyle's War and Calendar Girls is one of my favourite films. I must check out Kingdom and watch a few episodes of The Royal. I love Heartbeat too.

lf1 May 27th 2014 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11276188)
I don't think they'll be on BBC's iPayer, but The Missing Postman is on youtube in the same 2 parts as originally broadcast. And you'll probably see some other things of interest on the same page.

Youtube is under appreciated when it comes to free movies and tv. Don't be put off because some things are in 10 minute blocks, there's plenty of full movies and complete TV episodes.

There's a even a 'complete youtube saver' add-on that enables you to download something for later

In my search for a show called, Love Your Garden, I have discovered that YouTube is very good for catching up on TV shows. Now, this might motivate me to buy AppleTV, so that I can watch the show on a larger screen, without having to use cabling. I am a lazy mare!

BristolUK May 27th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11277774)
In my search for a show called, Love Your Garden, I have discovered that YouTube is very good for catching up on TV shows. Now, this might motivate me to buy AppleTV, so that I can watch the show on a larger screen, without having to use cabling. I am a lazy mare!

I've not done it yet but using that youtube saver/similar downloader I mentioned, you could download it onto a thumb-drive and put that in a DVD player just as you would with a DVD.

I think most DVD players these days have the slot.

curleytops May 27th 2014 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11277767)
Curlytops, I think we were separated at birth. I love Foyle's War and Calendar Girls is one of my favourite films. I must check out Kingdom and watch a few episodes of The Royal. I love Heartbeat too.

:lol:

Englishmum May 27th 2014 7:56 pm

Eeeeek! Coronation Street is on at 9pm (UK time) all of this week (big storyline as a character is killed off and there is a 'teaser' that there could be four other characters who may have had a motive for her demise.

I've just remembered that it is going to clash with the brilliant 'Happy Valley' :ohmy:

Oh well, we don't have a recording device here in Switzerland....fortunately this country has no problem with anyone downloading broadcast TV shows from websites such as PirateBay.....Corrie will just have to wait, I just *have* to watch Happy Valley in a few minutes (and I'm just about to open a bottle of wine too! ;):p:drinkwine:

rebs May 27th 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11278006)
Eeeeek! Coronation Street is on at 9pm (UK time) all of this week (big storyline as a character is killed off and there is a 'teaser' that there could be four other characters who may have had a motive for her demise.

I've just remembered that it is going to clash with the brilliant 'Happy Valley' :ohmy:

Oh well, we don't have a recording device here in Switzerland....fortunately this country has no problem with anyone downloading broadcast TV shows from websites such as PirateBay.....Corrie will just have to wait, I just *have* to watch Happy Valley in a few minutes (and I'm just about to open a bottle of wine too! ;):p:drinkwine:

I've solved that particular dilemma by watching 'Happy Valley' now, then I shall watch Corrie on ITV +1 :D

Englishmum May 27th 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11278024)
I've solved that particular dilemma by watching 'Happy Valley' now, then I shall watch Corrie on ITV +1 :D

So jealous! It's now just after 11pm here so need to go to bed soon....we only get a few UK channels here, but I can't complain too much after spending a few years living in the US and Singapore (BBC World TV is rubbish.....) :ohmy:

I loved Broadchurch - but 'Happy Valley' is also superb and I'm sure will be up for a host of TV awards next season :cool:

Jerseygirl May 27th 2014 9:43 pm

Just watched Corrie....next up is Happy Valley.

I hear there is a twist to the plot in tomorrow night's Corrie.

Spoiler:
Tina's fall was an accident...looked that way to me. Maybe someone else kills Tina by tampering with her IV/life support machine etc.

rebs May 28th 2014 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11278174)
Just watched Corrie....next up is Happy Valley.

I hear there is a twist to the plot in tomorrow night's Corrie.

Spoiler:
Tina's fall was an accident...looked that way to me. Maybe someone else kills Tina by tampering with her IV/life support machine etc.

Yes, I think you are right -

Spoiler:
I was expecting a big 'whodunnit' storyline so was a bit surprised by the fall scene, but I think that the killer has yet to strike!

mikelincs Jun 3rd 2014 9:13 pm

Just watched the final part of 'Happy Valley' and at the end they said the DVD for series 1 was now available. I'm assuming this means there will be a series 2..:thumbsup:. The series started off a little slow, but was excellent once they got into their stride.

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2014 1:49 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11287104)
Just watched the final part of 'Happy Valley' and at the end they said the DVD for series 1 was now available. I'm assuming this means there will be a series 2..:thumbsup:. The series started off a little slow, but was excellent once they got into their stride.

I thought the last episode was weak compared to the previous ones.

rebs Jun 4th 2014 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11287370)

Agreed - a much slower pace and, to me, more formulaic and predictable than previous episodes.

Perth Jun 4th 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11287104)

After watching the last episode I turned to the OH and said, I bet they will have another series. He didn't think they could because it wouldn't be so personal. But I disagree. There is a lot of potential there for her to self-identify with other crimes: loss of a daughter, child abduction, etc. And don't forget, they definitely set up the rampant drug problem that she is so passionate about to be revisited at a later time. We shall see before too long - but I'm taking bets :)

Cardienscarf Jun 4th 2014 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11287370)

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11287475)
Agreed - a much slower pace and, to me, more formulaic and predictable than previous episodes.

I was disappointed in the last episode. I thought it just fizzled.

colchar Jun 4th 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11277767)

It was a huge disappointment for me that both Heartbeat and The Royal were canceled.

Heartbeat is on TVOntario but they are in reruns for the summer at the moment. I'm looking forward to them picking up where they left off come the fall.