British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/broadchurch-other-uk-tv-programs-792768/)

Editha Jun 30th 2017 2:15 pm

Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

New series Spies of Warsaw. Stars David Tennant. The 1st ep. was so-so. Probably better if you haven't read the book. But it might improve. Tennant seems miscast to me (but I have read the novel) and he is sleepwalking through it.

BristolUK Jun 30th 2017 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12283943)
New series Spies of Warsaw. Stars David Tennant. The 1st ep. was so-so. Probably better if you haven't read the book. But it might improve. Tennant seems miscast to me (but I have read the novel) and he is sleepwalking through it.

New or a rerun? I remember seeing it before - but can't remember a thing.

Neither wiki nor IMDB is showing anything other than the 2013 run. :(

Editha Jul 1st 2017 6:07 am

Oh yes. I hadn't noticed it was a repeat.

BEVS Jul 1st 2017 6:38 am

Being careful here for no spoilers.

I have recently discovered a few ways to watch quality drama here in NZ so am busy trying to catch up.

Derrygal Jul 1st 2017 1:09 pm

Broadchurch Season 3 just started this week here in the US on BBC America. Looks good! I have been watching a program here on our PBS channel "My Mother and Other Strangers" set in Northern Ireland during World War II. Having grown up in Northern Ireland (albeit after the war) I have been enjoying it.

Perth Jul 4th 2017 4:49 pm

Watching The Loch on ITV. Haven't made my mind up about it yet even after 4 episodes :huh: Think we are growing tired of the same-old-same-old crime/detective stories. They keep recycling the same old plot lines.

On the other hand, we were delighted to discover Grand Canal Journeys with Prunela Scales and her husband Tim West. Prunela is in the beginning stages of dementia and the most heart warming part of the series is the loving care that Tim shows towards her. (Channel 4 on demand).

CAUSUK1996 Jul 6th 2017 3:02 pm

Anyone watch The Living and the Dead last year on BBC? I'm hoping they have a second season.

BristolUK Jul 7th 2017 1:55 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11523103)
And just to lower the tone, great to see Benidorm back. :rofl:

When I wrote this in January 2015 I had the impression that was to be the last series, a few of the actors having departed.

I just discovered today that there was another series in 2016 and earlier this year and I watched the first three from last year tonight.

Oh joy of joys. I absolutely love this show. It's a great counter to taking life too seriously. There's a place for it among things like Twin Peaks, House of Cards, Unforgotten, River, Homeland, Happy Valley and all the rest :nod: :thumbsup:

Novocastrian Jul 7th 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12288779)
When I wrote this in January 2015 I had the impression that was to be the last series, a few of the actors having departed.

I just discovered today that there was another series in 2016 and earlier this year and I watched the first three from last year tonight.

Oh joy of joys. I absolutely love this show. It's a great counter to taking life too seriously. There's a place for it among things like Twin Peaks, House of Cards, Unforgotten, River, Homeland, Happy Valley and all the rest :nod: :thumbsup:

I recently had the misfortune of stumbling across this programme on Netflix.

We suffered through three or four episodes before pulling the plug on what must be the worst TV show ever made.

mikelincs Jul 7th 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12288852)
I recently had the misfortune of stumbling across this programme on Netflix.

We suffered through three or four episodes before pulling the plug on what must be the worst TV show ever made.

Early series were good, but it has gone downhill in the last three with the loss of a few characters, including the one who wrote a lot of the scripts. Madge being only a very infrequent character is a great loss as was the chap who played her husband who sadly died

BristolUK Jul 7th 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12288852)
...the worst TV show ever made.

But you probably never liked Are You Being Served either. :rofl:

It's a modern day Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Novocastrian Jul 7th 2017 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12288980)

It's a modern day Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Es ist ja scheiss.