Is anyone returning from Canada?

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Manesh, you could have been describing Totonto there exactly ! (That's why I left). Good luck with your move.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:52 am
Just Joined

jacksonsc is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Hi All,

I've been reading the interesting and diverse opinions posted on the site and thought I'd share my experience and thoughts with you.

I moved to Toronto from London with my now ex-partner just over 12 years ago and am thinking about moving back to the UK. Since splitting up with my ex just over 6 years ago, I've found it very hard to establish a life for myself here, despite joining many activity clubs and going to every social event to which I'm invited.

For me personally, it has been difficult to make friends, get ahead in my career and to feel a sense of community in Toronto. People tell me I'm friendly and likeable, but I've been finding it hard to really connect with people here. In fact, most of my friends are not Canadian, but from elsewhere around the globe (UK, Greece, Egypt, Columbia, Quebec - hehe - I know it is part of Canada, but people from Quebec are definitely more approachable than in other parts of Canada).

To be frank (and I'm sure some of you will disagree with me), I have found most Canadians (first generation or otherwise) to be superficial, shallow, and narrow minded. When socializing, I find people are open to conversation about the weather, hockey, and/or the latest over-priced gadget they are going to purchase, but I find most Canadians very reserved when you actually try to get to know them better.

I've also found a big difference in the sense of humor between Canadians and the British which means I've had to tone down my own personality a bit in order to fit in.

As each year passes, I'm also finding the winters harder and harder to deal with, even though I snowboard to stay active during the colder months!

All of my family are back in the UK and I visit them every Christmas. I really started thinking seriously about moving back when my grandfather passed away 18 months ago. It was really hard being so far away from those I really love and I wondered what my life would be like 20 years from now if I remain here.

I definitely do not have rose-coloured glasses on and understand that it will be a big adjustment after all this time. I'll have to find a job within my profession, deal with the living expenses, and work hard to make friends again (although I still do have several friends that I'm still in contact with), but I think it will be worth it in the long-run.

For some of you, living in Canada is working out; for others, such as I, there is a sense of alienation and boredom. All we can do is be who we are, and if that comes more easily in the UK than it does in Canada, then so be it. It was a risk moving here and it will be a risk moving back, but the only way I'll find out for sure if it is the right decision is to try it.

The grass always seems greener on the other side and sometimes we have to cross the fence to find out if it really is.

Thanks for reading and I for those of you who want to move, I hope you find happiness wherever your feet land.

SJ
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jacksonsc
Hi All,

I've been reading the interesting and diverse opinions posted on the site and thought I'd share my experience and thoughts with you.

I moved to Toronto from London with my now ex-partner just over 12 years ago and am thinking about moving back to the UK. Since splitting up with my ex just over 6 years ago, I've found it very hard to establish a life for myself here, despite joining many activity clubs and going to every social event to which I'm invited.

For me personally, it has been difficult to make friends, get ahead in my career and to feel a sense of community in Toronto. People tell me I'm friendly and likeable, but I've been finding it hard to really connect with people here. In fact, most of my friends are not Canadian, but from elsewhere around the globe (UK, Greece, Egypt, Columbia, Quebec - hehe - I know it is part of Canada, but people from Quebec are definitely more approachable than in other parts of Canada).

To be frank (and I'm sure some of you will disagree with me), I have found most Canadians (first generation or otherwise) to be superficial, shallow, and narrow minded. When socializing, I find people are open to conversation about the weather, hockey, and/or the latest over-priced gadget they are going to purchase, but I find most Canadians very reserved when you actually try to get to know them better.

I've also found a big difference in the sense of humor between Canadians and the British which means I've had to tone down my own personality a bit in order to fit in.

As each year passes, I'm also finding the winters harder and harder to deal with, even though I snowboard to stay active during the colder months!

All of my family are back in the UK and I visit them every Christmas. I really started thinking seriously about moving back when my grandfather passed away 18 months ago. It was really hard being so far away from those I really love and I wondered what my life would be like 20 years from now if I remain here.

I definitely do not have rose-coloured glasses on and understand that it will be a big adjustment after all this time. I'll have to find a job within my profession, deal with the living expenses, and work hard to make friends again (although I still do have several friends that I'm still in contact with), but I think it will be worth it in the long-run.

For some of you, living in Canada is working out; for others, such as I, there is a sense of alienation and boredom. All we can do is be who we are, and if that comes more easily in the UK than it does in Canada, then so be it. It was a risk moving here and it will be a risk moving back, but the only way I'll find out for sure if it is the right decision is to try it.

The grass always seems greener on the other side and sometimes we have to cross the fence to find out if it really is.

Thanks for reading and I for those of you who want to move, I hope you find happiness wherever your feet land.

SJ
Thanks for your excellent posts, everyone seems to be coming out of the woodwork.

I can so relate to your comments about not fitting in and feeling completely bored. I know when I visit home (UK) I just flick on a switch and I'm a happy fun loving person again. I click with English people so much easier and I know I have certainly tried with Canadians but like you say, you never really get to know them. My husband has found that at work too.

Hey, give the UK a try, if you are a single person you really don't have anything to lose.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Ooooh no we didnt move to Toronto in the end. It was just a big dull city and we thought we might as well go back to London if we want a big dull city. Now 2.5 years down the road we had our fill of here again and want to move. I really dont think i'll go back to Vancouver but even thought im on here and understanding what people are saying I still rather be there. We thought about Halifax but its like starting again in Canada. We really want to go to Ireland but the work isnt there in the west of the country which is still slightly affordable. I dont know what to do. Ireland is defo the front runner. Ive got an Irish passport and Canadian citizenship.
Sorry got the wrong end of the stick!

Have you thought about the States? You should find it easier to get in there because you have Irish and Canadian citizenship. Have you seen whether your job is on the NAFTA list? Just a thought if you are looking for a change. Ireland is probably an easier choice though.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future

Hi All,

SJ

I too found the people very very hard to get along with and hardly made any friends in the time in Toronto (2 1/2 yrs), the friends made were not Canadian, thought it was me but you sound like you had the same problem. You mention difficuly getting on in your career, I think this stems from not being truly happy where you are living and also just not 'clicking' with colleagues. I also found that I was becoming less and less 'myself', losing my personality, in an effort to get on with the people I met.

I wish you luck in your move back to the UK, I am sure you will be very happy there.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

SJ
Sorry to hear about your experiences in Toronto, for some reason I assumed that Toronto people would be different and more open minded than Vancouverites. Thank goodness I've only been here 18 months, I cannot imagine spending more than 2 years in this awful place. Good luck with your move back...
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kbryant
Manesh, you could have been describing Totonto there exactly ! (That's why I left). Good luck with your move.

TY for your reply. I never thought Toronto was anything like Vancouver, I've been a few times but then again holidays are not the same as trying to live somewhere...I am definitely looking forward to returning to London.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:43 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Hey jacksonsc - All the best to you, I hope you can find happiness back home if you go. What does your heart tell you? Follow it!

I'm curious... jacksonsc and a couple of you have mentioned that you have had to tone down parts of your personality to fit in. Mind sharing what specifically you've had to change?

I just ask because I've been on both ends of the spectrum and I'm very curious to learn more about this messed up "culture" I was raised in.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nohinsara
Hey jacksonsc - All the best to you, I hope you can find happiness back home if you go. What does your heart tell you? Follow it!

I'm curious... jacksonsc and a couple of you have mentioned that you have had to tone down parts of your personality to fit in. Mind sharing what specifically you've had to change?

I just ask because I've been on both ends of the spectrum and I'm very curious to learn more about this messed up "culture" I was raised in.
I've had to tone down my humour. Usually I just chat and laugh at things as I go along but I have found Canadians don't get me and stare blankly.

Today I took my son to a toddler group, I started to chat to some of the mums and honestly I get bothered that I'm not included. I try to make conversation but they would rather chat to fellow Canadians. I can understand that to a point but after 3 years of trying it does upset me.

In the past I have organised a Christmas mums lunch and I got about 3 people turn up out of 30 and hardly any replies. Also I've done coffee at my house and about 1 person came, it was embarrassing. It makes me lose my confidence, I never had any trouble making friends in England.

Last edited by fishfinger; Mar 3rd 2007 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I've had to tone down my humour. Usually I just chat and laugh at things as I go along but I have found Canadians don't get me and stare blankly.

Today I took my son to a toddler group, I started to chat to some of the mums and honestly I get bothered that I'm not included. I try to make conversation but they would rather chat to fellow Canadians. I can understand that to a point but after 3 years of trying it does upset me.

In the past I have organised a Christmas mums lunch and I got about 3 people turn up out of 30 and hardly any replies. Also I've done coffee at my house and about 1 person came, it was embarrassing. It makes me lose my confidence, I never had any trouble making friends in England.

Sorry to hear that people have been so "hostile" but I totally get the humour thing, Canadians don't have sense of humour and they most definitely don't get sarcasm!!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:51 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Fishfinger - I'm so sorry, I feel for you! If I lived near you, you'd be annoyed with me because I'd be pestering you to talk to me all the time. I love to find Brits and natter their ears off. Did it today while I was out picking up my son's pictures - found a Brit couple and we got to talking.

What you said about inviting people and few showing really hits home for me, I want to let you know that it's not only you, and it's not because Canadians see you as an outsider. Me and my Canadian friends have labeled this the "West Coast Mentality" and it drives us NUTS. The long and the short of it is that people here on the West Coast are SO laid back and non-committal that they end up bailing out on tentative plans they've made at the last minute. Either that or they just don't say whether they are coming or not. It's sooo rude and quite irritating.
I've stopped planning a lot of things for this reason. For example, for my 30th birthday. I invited about 18. 12 RSVPs saying they'd be there. We had a big table in the restaurant reserved. Only 6 came! It was very embarrassing, I was so hurt.
So I know how you feel. Hang in there. You won't have to deal with it much longer!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel a move back to the UK is for you, and if you don't have strong ties to Canada, then by all means go for it.

HOWEVER, make sure you get your Canadian citizenship first (for obvious reasons - you might want to come back some day).
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Yes, we`re openly discussing going back to the UK in the next few months. After spending almost five years in New Brunswick, I`ve had my fill of the country. Too many downs and not enough ups for our liking!

Just a matter of filing a UK visa application for my better half, arrange some shipping, save some pennies and arrange some work/accomodation if possible before arriving in Blighty.

We are both extremely excited to be going back. Heck, I know I won`t be sleeping between now and the departure date
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a thread!

I really think everyone has covered how I feel here.

I have been in Toronto for over 6 years and am really fed up now. It has been far too long. I am in England at the moment but will be going back on Wednesday but I am hoping to move back this year, but have a difficult husband who just doesn't understand how I feel and wants to do everything his way, enough is enough now, we have a good opportunity and he is not going to spoil it.

I don't feel 'alive' in Toronto. I don't get on with too many people, everyone seems so fake on the outside and it is hard to get past those barriers. Like someone said about going to a baby group. I go a few times a week with my 14 month old and the people I get on with best are from England and Chile. Says it all really.

Just hoping to be back this year.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:23 pm
After 10 years of trying

babsi - Just wanted to wish you good luck and Godspeed in your return to the UK! Good for you for putting up with Toronto for so long.

Also wanted to tell you I sure know how you feel with difficult husbands that only want to do things their way. I have the same problem! Question though - is your husband British or Canadian?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.