Is anyone returning from Canada?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Originally Posted by nohinsara
You know what makes me mad is that in the begining of the relationship, when I was unsure of if he was for me, I told him that we probably wanted different things. From the start he has known that this is what I want. When I told him that he insisted that it's what he wanted too. Urg!

I am secretly hoping that I can get my husband to agree to go to the UK with me and then I'm praying he will fall in love with living there. My chances are kinda slim, but a girl can dream. I guess if we do go through with it and get over to the UK, I am asking for that can of worms to be opened up (so to speak), but I'm so desparate that I almost don't care anymore.

So, Fishfinger, how many days left to go? You lucky devil you.
DH has 2 interviews this week back in the UK so fingers crossed they go somewhere. Then he will be going back first and I will join him in the summer. I must say I do have days where I wonder if I'm doing the right thing or not, my emotions are all over the place but I'm sure it will come together in the end. I still like Canada as a place but not to live full time.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:05 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Fishfinger - that's excellent news, I will be keeping everything crossed for you and your hubby!

I can understand how you must be feeling, now that you're taking steps to go back. It's that panic feeling... but only natural. If it counts for anything, I think you're making the right decision! The only thing you will be missing is the sushi.

Curious - how did your hubby get interviews while overseas? All I get told is that you have to be in the UK before anyone will look at you.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

He put his CV on monster and a few other job sites. From looking on there he got an idea of which agencies had the kind of jobs he was looking for. He then rang them up and explained that he wanted to return to the UK and then he would email his CV directly to the correct consultant.

He made sure he had a hotmail account set up and a virtual phone number, we used Vonage for that. It was amazing how many calls he got just because he put down a UK number. Most agencies aren't keen to do the chasing overseas. I'm sure he has missed out on jobs because they realise he isn't based in the UK but when he rang the agencies he did give them dates that he planned to be in the UK. That way they took him seriously. He managed to get one telephone interview before he went over for a week and this is the 2nd week that he has taken. We should have a rough idea by the end of this time whether or not he has been successful.

What does your husband do? Would that approach suit him? Has he actually been to the UK yet?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:20 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

He put his CV on monster and a few other job sites. From looking on there he got an idea of which agencies had the kind of jobs he was looking for. He then rang them up and explained that he wanted to return to the UK and then he would email his CV directly to the correct consultant.

He made sure he had a hotmail account set up and a virtual phone number, we used Vonage for that. It was amazing how many calls he got just because he put down a UK number. Most agencies aren't keen to do the chasing overseas. I'm sure he has missed out on jobs because they realise he isn't based in the UK but when he rang the agencies he did give them dates that he planned to be in the UK. That way they took him seriously. He managed to get one telephone interview before he went over for a week and this is the 2nd week that he has taken. We should have a rough idea by the end of this time whether or not he has been successful.

What does your husband do? Would that approach suit him? Has he actually been to the UK yet?
That's really smart... I never thought of doing the whole Vonage thing. I really hope your hubby has loads of luck when he goes over this time. I'm sure there will be a bunch of offers to pick from!

I don't really know how we're going to swing it. I think it's going to have to be an all or nothing assault, we're just going to have to sell everything and try to take as much money as we can - then one of us will try to get work once we're over there. I would love to take my Husband over there for a week and have him just go around to recruitment agencies to get an idea of the kind of work and pay they could get him, but I don't know how likely that is because of the sheer cost of it!

Right now he works for eBay in Policy. He likes it, but has no faith in getting any work that's similar in the UK (Don't ask me why!). Too bad there's no equal position in eBay there, or I would just demand he transfer! Plus we also have the problem of his citizenship - he's Canadian. We might even have to have it where I work and he looks after the baby because I have rights to work in the UK. My earning power is not enough to support us though...

He has been to London with me before. He's actually really well traveled, so it surprises me that he's so against all of this.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I came out to Vancouver on a work permit about 18 months ago, I did not come here as an immigrant so had always planned on leaving, however, just to add to this thread, being here has made me appreciate London and everything I took for granted there despite its problems.

I am a young single female professional, so London is more appropriate anyway (in addition to missing family, friends etc.). When compared to London, Vancouver is a provincial town with no culture or decent shopping (2 things I love). Vancouver has natural beauty and outdoor activities (I would not have learned how to kayak if I did not come here) but that is all. The weather is worse than London, grey and rainy most of the time. There is little infrastructure, a car is a MUST. The roads also seem to be full of potholes.

It is not a particularly cosmopolitan city and appears somewhat racially segregated to which I am unaccustomed, having grown up amongst people from a multitude of faiths and cultures. Many people here also appear ignorant of other cultures and narrow minded. In addition, Vancouverites become extremely defensive when their city is remotely criticised. When asked how I like it here, and when I am honest about what I miss about being in a big city, I am then made to feel like a criminal. The worst insult to a Vancouverite seems to be stating that Toronto is a superior place,(which it is IMO) however, from my conversations and encounters, most people here have never even been there but hate Toronto nevertheless!! I have not come across this sort of small-mindedness in the UK. Contrary to what I had heard about Canadians being very friendly, I can say that I have found Torontonians to be 100 times more friendly than Vancouverites, and on a recent trip back to London I found Londoners to be more welcoming!

I live in Port Moody and work in Abbotsford (I deliberately chose not to live in Abbotsford as I can only describe it as being a cross between Stepford and the Twilight Zone). The commute is about 45 minutes which Abbotsford people find outrageous! Since I work as a GP, patients and other doctors here find it almost criminal that I do not live in the town in which I work. Once again, an example of the narrow-mindedness that exists in this part of the world. I find it rather difficult being able to relate to people here including those in my own profession.

All I can say at this point is that I am really looking forward to returning home, and am just waiting on a confirmed job offer. The NHS certainly has its problems but the hospital in Abbotsford is by far the worst one I have ever come across in my life (this coming from someone who has also worked in South Africa), completely disorganised and employing nurses who appear far less qualified than their counterparts in the UK and South Africa. It is very scary!

If anyone can advise on shipping companies I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Manesh
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m_pather
Hello,

I came out to Vancouver on a work permit about 18 months ago, I did not come here as an immigrant so had always planned on leaving, however, just to add to this thread, being here has made me appreciate London and everything I took for granted there despite its problems.

I am a young single female professional, so London is more appropriate anyway (in addition to missing family, friends etc.). When compared to London, Vancouver is a provincial town with no culture or decent shopping (2 things I love). Vancouver has natural beauty and outdoor activities (I would not have learned how to kayak if I did not come here) but that is all. The weather is worse than London, grey and rainy most of the time. There is little infrastructure, a car is a MUST. The roads also seem to be full of potholes.

It is not a particularly cosmopolitan city and appears somewhat racially segregated to which I am unaccustomed, having grown up amongst people from a multitude of faiths and cultures. Many people here also appear ignorant of other cultures and narrow minded. In addition, Vancouverites become extremely defensive when their city is remotely criticised. When asked how I like it here, and when I am honest about what I miss about being in a big city, I am then made to feel like a criminal. The worst insult to a Vancouverite seems to be stating that Toronto is a superior place,(which it is IMO) however, from my conversations and encounters, most people here have never even been there but hate Toronto nevertheless!! I have not come across this sort of small-mindedness in the UK. Contrary to what I had heard about Canadians being very friendly, I can say that I have found Torontonians to be 100 times more friendly than Vancouverites, and on a recent trip back to London I found Londoners to be more welcoming!

I live in Port Moody and work in Abbotsford (I deliberately chose not to live in Abbotsford as I can only describe it as being a cross between Stepford and the Twilight Zone). The commute is about 45 minutes which Abbotsford people find outrageous! Since I work as a GP, patients and other doctors here find it almost criminal that I do not live in the town in which I work. Once again, an example of the narrow-mindedness that exists in this part of the world. I find it rather difficult being able to relate to people here including those in my own profession.

All I can say at this point is that I am really looking forward to returning home, and am just waiting on a confirmed job offer. The NHS certainly has its problems but the hospital in Abbotsford is by far the worst one I have ever come across in my life (this coming from someone who has also worked in South Africa), completely disorganised and employing nurses who appear far less qualified than their counterparts in the UK and South Africa. It is very scary!

Thanks

Manesh
Manesh

It's nice to hear somebody who has the same opinions about Vancouver as me!

I have spent time, unfortunately, in Eagle Ridge hospital in Port Moody and I can certainly say it was the worst experience I have ever had. I was treated like an animal; it was disgusting. I think it was after that week that I decided I wanted to go home.

I have been recommended Williams for shipping stuff. Good luck with your move back.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nohinsara
That's really smart... I never thought of doing the whole Vonage thing. I really hope your hubby has loads of luck when he goes over this time. I'm sure there will be a bunch of offers to pick from!

I don't really know how we're going to swing it. I think it's going to have to be an all or nothing assault, we're just going to have to sell everything and try to take as much money as we can - then one of us will try to get work once we're over there. I would love to take my Husband over there for a week and have him just go around to recruitment agencies to get an idea of the kind of work and pay they could get him, but I don't know how likely that is because of the sheer cost of it!

Right now he works for eBay in Policy. He likes it, but has no faith in getting any work that's similar in the UK (Don't ask me why!). Too bad there's no equal position in eBay there, or I would just demand he transfer! Plus we also have the problem of his citizenship - he's Canadian. We might even have to have it where I work and he looks after the baby because I have rights to work in the UK. My earning power is not enough to support us though...

He has been to London with me before. He's actually really well traveled, so it surprises me that he's so against all of this.
Well I really hope you can sort it all out, it must be hard when one wants to go and the other doesn't really.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Manesh

It's nice to hear somebody who has the same opinions about Vancouver as me!

I have spent time, unfortunately, in Eagle Ridge hospital in Port Moody and I can certainly say it was the worst experience I have ever had. I was treated like an animal; it was disgusting. I think it was after that week that I decided I wanted to go home.

I have been recommended Williams for shipping stuff. Good luck with your move back.
TY for that Fishfinger...sorry to hear about your experience at Eagle Ridge...I also have friends who arrived here as immigrants from the UK 5 years ago, they live in North Van with a view of the Pacific but hate it as much now as they did 5 years ago. They cannot just up and leave as they have kids...This isn't a land of milk and honey and it's great when there are those who adapt and love it, but home is home! Vancouver is not representative of the whole of Canada as Toronto is completely different, however, why this place gets voted as the best city in the world in which to live is beyond me! The other thing that irritates is how every little place is a "city" ie Port Moody, Coquitlam, Abbotsford ( a hick town by my standards!)

Thanks for the shipping company details
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:31 pm
After 10 years of trying

m_pather - Way to tell it like it is!
You know what's funny? I was born and raised near Vancouver, and I feel the exact same way you do. Couldn't have put it better. People here are so freaking pretentious - it's enough to make a person mad. They have NO REASON to be pretentious... and what the hell is with the cost of living?? WHY is it so freakin' high? I don't get it. Never have. Now if I can just get my dumbass husband to wake up to it, we'll be outa here!

Good luck on your return home. I hope you can get there and settled in a timely fashion! ((hugs)) to you.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m_pather
Hello,

Thanks

Manesh

OMG!!! Someone else with exactly the same opinions as me about Vancouver and BC. I have been hanged drawn and quartered for expressing my opinions, however, so be warned... Vancouver is quite simply utterly boring. Williams Shipping is the best - call Peter Van Den Berg on 604 941 9411. That is who we are using.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vancouver: Dullsville

I find it hilarious that Vancouver is oft-quoted "the Best City in the World".

In the words of our recent visitors: "It's a bit like Bristol innit".

Occasionally, we catch the trappers kayak and make our way down the coast to Vancouver. (We live in Powell River) It always strikes me how much colder it is in Vancouver - its 90 miles to the south. It doesn't make sense.

It should be better than it is. The cost of real estate isn't worth it for such a cheerless location.

Sarah

Here's a lovely scene of Vancouver:

Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dingbat
OMG!!! Someone else with exactly the same opinions as me about Vancouver and BC. I have been hanged drawn and quartered for expressing my opinions, however, so be warned... Vancouver is quite simply utterly boring. Williams Shipping is the best - call Peter Van Den Berg on 604 941 9411. That is who we are using.
Well, I'm prepared for the insults but this is a forum so we should be free to express our opinions especially since this part of the forum is for those returning to the UK! In any case, Brits are generally far more open - minded than Vancouverites! I'm happy for those who have come here and love it but as they say "different strokes for different folks". I think it probably is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts who have no interest in museums/theatre/shopping/fashion etc. but for those of us wanting culture (ie being able to go to the theatre or concert on a whim or to spend a Sunday in a museum) or shoe/clothes shopping it's an impossible place. I mean, having to cross a border to buy decent things is just ridiculous! I tried to see the good in this place (as advised to do so by a Canadian friend) and stop comparing it with London (as that is a foolish thing to do) but all said and done, there's very little good to be said about Vancouver (IMO!) The fact that the locals believe this to be the best place in the world when most of them haven't travelled east of Edmonton is just laughable!

I'm glad to note that other people also share my views on this place.

Nohinsara - I hope you can get your husband to try to see your point of view - very often when a couple are from 2 different places and neither likes the other's place, a compromise has to be reached ie somewhere you can both agree on.

SaraBC, it most definitely is a cheerless depressing place,(everything is grey including cars - when I bought my car I had a choice of various shades of grey and black!!!). What keeps me going is knowing that i shall be leaving this year! Thanx for the shipping info.

Cheers,
Manesh
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:26 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pat12
home is home!
Thats the main thing really.

We were going to move to Toronto and went to have a look. People in Van thought we were nuts and, like you, i found out that none of them had been there!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Thats the main thing really.

We were going to move to Toronto and went to have a look. People in Van thought we were nuts and, like you, i found out that none of them had been there!
I've noticed that Vancouverites don't care for Torontonians. Is it like the Scottish/English thing?

Hope you enjoy Toronto, Londonuck. When you do move? Just curious, did you get citizenship before you left Canada the first time?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:47 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I've noticed that Vancouverites don't care for Torontonians. Is it like the Scottish/English thing?

Hope you enjoy Toronto, Londonuck. When you do move? Just curious, did you get citizenship before you left Canada the first time?
Ooooh no we didnt move to Toronto in the end. It was just a big dull city and we thought we might as well go back to London if we want a big dull city. Now 2.5 years down the road we had our fill of here again and want to move. I really dont think i'll go back to Vancouver but even thought im on here and understanding what people are saying I still rather be there. We thought about Halifax but its like starting again in Canada. We really want to go to Ireland but the work isnt there in the west of the country which is still slightly affordable. I dont know what to do. Ireland is defo the front runner. Ive got an Irish passport and Canadian citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.