Is anyone returning from Canada?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is anyone returning from Canada?

Hi,
Anyone out there in Canada deciding to come back to England. Please could you share your expereince and reasons?

Gezza
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Originally Posted by Gezza
Hi,
Anyone out there in Canada deciding to come back to England. Please could you share your expereince and reasons?

Gezza
Yep we are moving back during 2007. Our main reasons are:

Lack of career advancement or any future prospect.
Cost of living and lack of choice of goods
Unhappy with education for kids
Miss family
Have different interests to Canadians
We have aged living here, it has a retirement feel to it.
Miss having fun!

Lots more reasons, but those are the main ones
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:25 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger

Miss family
Miss having fun!

I'm no longer in a minority of one....YEAH! I could have written this post. Retirement - part of me has died living here.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I'm no longer in a minority of one....YEAH! I could have written this post. Retirement - part of me has died living here.
Horses for courses people...Canada works for me...
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macadian
Horses for courses people...Canada works for me...
Well as they say in Canada 'Good for you!'
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Thanks, but I am a bit stirred by the "Cost of Living"
Do you think U.K. is better?

Things must have got worse from the last timje I was there.
What are the most expensive outgoings?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Miss family
Miss having fun!

Hi there,

We can relate to the "retirement feel" comment. We have a good social life in Powell River, but it does feel strange when you look around and don't see many people in the 18-30 age group. Lots of people return to raise families here or retire, but most of the kids born here leave at 18 to go to university.

Whereabouts do you live in BC?

Sarah
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, but I am a bit stirred by the "Cost of Living"
Do you think U.K. is better?

Things must have got worse from the last timje I was there.
What are the most expensive outgoings?
We find food expensive (apart from eating out). In the UK at Christmas we popped into the shops for a few items couldn't believe how cheap our bill was at around 30 pounds, the same items in Canada when we got back translated into $200.

Car insurance is another biggy, gas and electric for us are more expensive, just general everyday living. Sometimes it's cheaper to eat out at IKEA than cook a meal!

I think anyone coming on holiday from the UK would find Canada cheap but once you are paid in $, then you notice the difference. Even my parents who come and visit here and buy shopping notice how vastly expensive the place is plus the lack of choice. I just can't live like that anymore and why should I?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

We can relate to the "retirement feel" comment. We have a good social life in Powell River, but it does feel strange when you look around and don't see many people in the 18-30 age group. Lots of people return to raise families here or retire, but most of the kids born here leave at 18 to go to university.

Whereabouts do you live in BC?

Sarah
I live just outside Port Moody which is probably 10 times more alive than Powell River but I just find it so dull here. The UK has much more vibrancy and life and I just can't slip into the laid back, sleepy life that I feel here. I'm sure others just long for this lifestyle but I'm bored beyond belief. I need to start living again.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is huge and extremely diverse, so it seems a bit odd to tar it all as dull based on living in Port Moody alone? Surely the larger cities have a bit more excitement going for them?

Canada is more expensive to live in and run a home in than you would think possible when you visit and experience cheap petrol, and cheap meals out etc, and once you are earning average canadian wages and dont benefit from the exchange rate, then it seems worse. I seriously doubt its more expensive than the UK, but canadian wages are generally lower so perhaps it seems that way.

I'm interested what was in the £30 / $200 shoping basket though!

Having said that, Im another one whos happy with the slower pace of life...but then I live in the same general area as Macadian...

Like I said, its a huge and extremely diverse country.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well as they say in Canada 'Good for you!'
Fair enough

Seriously, having spent a little time in Alberta/BC (including Vancouver Island) I did note than things in general were more expensive than here in Southern Ontario.

The only one of the aspects listed I concur with 100% is the 'Lack of choice of goods'...it really ticks me off. Importing from the US for most things is a no no. Cheaper there? Yes, very much so on many items however, when your hit with things like brokerage fees, import duty, shipping etc, it ceases to be viable on many occasions.

However have learned to live with that and have friends who spend the winters in Florida who are very obliging at being 'Postman Pat' when they return in the Spring.

Canada is far from perfect and I can understand why it may not suit all who come to its shores but for many of us, on balance, its the prefferable place to be.

As I said, horses for courses...best to all whatever and wherever your life choice will ultimately be.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I live just outside Port Moody which is probably 10 times more alive than Powell River but I just find it so dull here. The UK has much more vibrancy and life and I just can't slip into the laid back, sleepy life that I feel here. I'm sure others just long for this lifestyle but I'm bored beyond belief. I need to start living again.

Port Moody eh? And how do you wanna a feel?

You could be suffereing from the Vancouver winter syndrome. Wait till May and you will feel better!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Port Moody eh? And how do you wanna a feel?

You could be suffereing from the Vancouver winter syndrome. Wait till May and you will feel better!
Just posting my experiences in response to your question Gezza. This is my 3rd winter here and I feel I have given it a fair go, just not where I want to be anymore.

I don't have a problem with going back to the UK infact I'm looking forward to it. I certainly appreciate the UK lots more now.

Are you looking to return to the UK Gezza?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hi,

Gezza
Yes, we are near Toronto, Ontario and want to move back to the UK....I was bought here as a child, so feel the urge to move back, w/family....been back many times, so I know that is what we want...
Miss family
History
uniforms in the schools
food etc....

But,(always a but) still hubby(CND) has a great job here, that is the downside to it all, & will we be able to afford a home in the UK, and live comfortably, or struggle?? Only moving there will tell?
Good Luck...

ps...vancouver is more expensive, than southern ontario...ie)food
Old Jan 17th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Just posting my experiences in response to your question Gezza. This is my 3rd winter here and I feel I have given it a fair go, just not where I want to be anymore.

I don't have a problem with going back to the UK infact I'm looking forward to it. I certainly appreciate the UK lots more now.

Are you looking to return to the UK Gezza?
I was in Maple Ridge between 2002 - 2004 Had a good job but did not like the grim look of the whole lot: from East Hastings Street to Mission - oo much. And missed England. But now on the fence again. England has become a real duldrum to me and a scarry place as well. People here no longer smile.And most of the awful (public and busines) practices that put me off Vancouver/Canada are now firmly established in England!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.