Anyone leaving Canada?

Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone leaving Canada?

Originally Posted by brizzle

I find it dull too. Everything is very insular and inward looking. People I knew in the UK used to talk about anything and everything under the sun. Here conversation and debate seems so limited. Anything that happens outside the city or province (or at a stretch N. America), may as well be taking place on a different planet. Yes, it's a decent, pleasant place with nice scenery, but it seems such a backwater at times where the status quo must be maintained at all costs. Things like entrepeneurship, enterprise, innovation and different thinking seem stifled at every turn. I feel as though everything is going on elsewhere and life has stopped here.
If I had a buck for every time I have heard the exact same comments about Australia..

The UK is so condensed, has a great geographical location, so much diversity in such a small area, its is a country that makes many others look boring....

Big bland lands dont compare well after the UK.

Thankfully we have done so many years in the ultimate bland land, North America now looks very exciting.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:49 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thankfully we have done so many years in the ultimate bland land, North America now looks very exciting.
There are many on the Canada forum that refer to Canada as the ultimate big bland land, having seen Canada I don`t agree with this as I feel it has a lot to offer etc. But if you don`t know Canada, you may reach the same conclusion as these people.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:38 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
There are many on the Canada forum that refer to Canada as the ultimate big bland land, having seen Canada I don`t agree with this as I feel it has a lot to offer etc. But if you don`t know Canada, you may reach the same conclusion as these people.
I don't find it bland at all - Nova Scotians and Newfoundlanders are certainly very upbeat and friendly - must be all that Scottish and Irish blood in them .

Aside from family, it's all to do with who are in your circle of friends surely. That's what make life happy and exciting wherever in the world you live.

Immigrants have to put themselves out there and network, network, network. It's the fastest way to feel part of your new community and find like-minded friends. It can be quite daunting but has to be done because building a social network doesn't come handed to you on plate. You soon reap the rewards of all the effort you put in
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:42 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I don't find it bland at all - Nova Scotians and Newfoundlanders are certainly very upbeat and friendly - must be all that Scottish and Irish blood in them .

Aside from family, it's all to do with who are in your circle of friends surely. That's what make life happy and exciting wherever in the world you live.

Immigrants have to put themselves out there and network, network, network. It's the fastest way to feel part of your new community and find like-minded friends. It can be quite daunting but has to be done because building a social network doesn't come handed to you on plate. You soon reap the rewards of all the effort you put in
I was actually referring to the anti-Canada brigade on the Canadian forum and not the majority of people on there. Personally I love Canada and wouldn`t hesitate to live there.

Totally agree with the fact that immigrants really need to put thmselves out, as this is all part of the immigration procedure and half the fun.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:47 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I was actually referring to the anti-Canada brigade on the Canadian forum and not the majority of people on there. Personally I love Canada and wouldn`t hesitate to live there.

Totally agree with the fact that immigrants really need to put thmselves out, as this is all part of the immigration procedure and half the fun.
I know you like Canada

People forget that it takes many years to build up true friendships even in their homeland, so you can't expect it to happen in a few months in your new chosen country. That's unrealistic - it takes time and effort
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
People forget that it takes many years to build up true friendships even in their homeland, so you can't expect it to happen in a few months in your new chosen country. That's unrealistic - it takes time and effort
That is 100% the truth. I see the original poster has reached 4 months and is increasingly homesick.... Do people not look into culture shock and homesickness as part of the emmigrating process? It should really be a compulsory part of the curriculum. Around about that time the initial honeymoon is over, the adrenaline rush of finally getting here long gone, but for most people if you stick at it, then in time, like another 6 months, things will start to fall in place and feel familiar, and then you can make a rational decision about how you feel.

Making any decision in the first year or two is really asking for trouble in the long term.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

I can only speak for myself insofar as to what I have come to realise is important for us is our family, friends, familiarity, and employment.
Both myself and OH have overcome serious health issues in the 5 years or so that we have been in Canada, and that sense of vunerability when you are very alone makes me glad that I have learnt the lessons I have whilst we can still return 'home'
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:24 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
I can only speak for myself insofar as to what I have come to realise is important for us is our family, friends, familiarity, and employment.
Both myself and OH have overcome serious health issues in the 5 years or so that we have been in Canada, and that sense of vunerability when you are very alone makes me glad that I have learnt the lessons I have whilst we can still return 'home'
Hey!!!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You think your confused from UK, went to australia, now have lodged application to get into Canada. However know that will take a long time, so started looking at York again too, I love that place, and as you say, UK is pretty exciting compared to many places... Not that many there appreciate it.

I dont know where we will end up, wont be australia but the choice between York and Canada is tough.

Will probably end up with citizenship for Aus, Canada and UK then each time I am bored I can move between all of them
Ha ha no wonder you're confused!! We came from near harrogate - a gorgeous part of the uk which i am missing more and more!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Serious health issues is certainly one the crisis times in your life when you ask yourself many questions. Glad to see your health issues are behind you now and you have made the right choice for you. Life's too short to be unhappy or unsettled.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
That is 100% the truth. I see the original poster has reached 4 months and is increasingly homesick.... Do people not look into culture shock and homesickness as part of the emmigrating process? It should really be a compulsory part of the curriculum. Around about that time the initial honeymoon is over, the adrenaline rush of finally getting here long gone, but for most people if you stick at it, then in time, like another 6 months, things will start to fall in place and feel familiar, and then you can make a rational decision about how you feel.

Making any decision in the first year or two is really asking for trouble in the long term.
i do appreciate that and we are not making any rash descions, we are going to give it at least 18 months. my husband has set up business here which is starting to take off, so we are not going to be leaving any time soon.
I'm not really unhappy here (hubby is) - he felt it was the wrong descion before he stepped on the flight ! I have not even hit the honeymoon period! We spent 5 weeks trying to find accomdation that would suit us, but after desperation landed in complete suburbia without any charactor (or people!) The streets are filled with houses and houses and more houses but nobody around. I am a stay at home mum so it makes it feel like a ghost time at times!!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rixy
Just PR but is it worth waiting till November next year just apply which take another 6 months. All to be miserable here?
I would say yes...one day you may wish to return (never say never)...and you will curse yourself for not gaining your CC! Six months? Hardly a life sentence...pull on your big boy shorts and suck it up! Confucius say :

The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.

Best of luck

Last edited by macadian; Jul 16th 2009 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brizzle
Indeed, count me in !! What area do you live in ?

For me, although IMO some things are better here (overall it's cleaner, nicer parks, good recreation etc for kids), and some worse (endless urban sprawl, fewer job prospects, rubbish tv etc). Overall most things balance out in comparison to the UK. But I don't feel at home here at all.

I find it dull too. Everything is very insular and inward looking. People I knew in the UK used to talk about anything and everything under the sun. Here conversation and debate seems so limited. Anything that happens outside the city or province (or at a stretch N. America), may as well be taking place on a different planet. Yes, it's a decent, pleasant place with nice scenery, but it seems such a backwater at times where the status quo must be maintained at all costs. Things like entrepeneurship, enterprise, innovation and different thinking seem stifled at every turn.

I feel as though everything is going on elsewhere and life has stopped here. It's hard to clarify, but in the UK, I felt part of something and close to what is happening in the world. Now I feel like I've retired to somewhere quiet, boring, and where not very much of interest ever happens.
We are in oakville ontario, there are loads of facilities for families and i do find lots to do with the kids. I can't put my finger on what it is but maybe it does take more time (yes i know i have only been here 4 months) I have integrated myself and have met lots of decent people and get together with our lovely canadian neighbours lots but something is missing.
I have to agree although it shouldn't be important (though with 3 little ones at home everynight it becomes more so) the telly is just awful and given up trying to find anything decent!! Go on shout me down!
The surbuban sprawl is taking getting used to and i do love the pretty areas you can drive to just need more life and soul in the area!

Whereabouts are you.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here 3 years. It's OK, but dull.

You rarely get invited into a Canadian's home, the conversation is guaranteed to be non controversial, so polite, so mustn't offend anyone that the blandness makes you scream.

I've tried to make friends but that remains at a superficial level, even if you do get an invitation back.

It's probably me though. I must be shit company. I've been off sick from work now for over 2 weeks after an operation and will be off three more.
I have had one Canadian visitor, the other visitors were all expats, and the Canadian was someone I knew from the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
We spent 5 weeks trying to find accomdation that would suit us, but after desperation landed in complete suburbia without any charactor (or people!) The streets are filled with houses and houses and more houses but nobody around. I am a stay at home mum so it makes it feel like a ghost time at times!!
Ahhh, suburbia. Some people on this forum love it, some hate it.

For me, suburban sprawl is one of the worst things about Canada. When returning to the UK was a possibility last year, one of the conditions we set for staying in Canada is that we are able to live in a walkable neighbourhood with real character and good social interaction. We've found that here in an older part of Ottawa. It is probably still classed as suburban but it is a million miles away from the developments on the outskirts of the city.

As you consider your plans over the next 18 months I hope you are able to determine how much of your dissatisfaction is due to the neighbourhood you are in. A completely different experience may be just a few km away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.