An American view.

Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default An American view.

I am an American, born and bred in New York, Boston and Washington, DC. I married a Brit and we relocated to the South West. Since moving to the UK two years ago, I have come to a sort of annoyed tolerance of the following issues, but no Briton should have to put up with these things:

Government
*The benefit system has enabled people to abuse it. Why are benefits unending?

*Education is inadequate for today's society. No child should be out on the street at age 15 or even 16.

*20% VAT is absurdly high. There should be more of a sliding scale for different goods and services as well as geographic location. Obviously, people in the South West do not earn what those in London earn.

*Too lenient punishment for crime. Everyone seems to get suspended sentences or insufficient prison terms, even for murder.

*It seems to take forever for the police to respond to calls, especially to non-999 calls. And why do we, the public, have to pay to call the police for disturbance of the peace or ASBO situations?

*The infrastructure is antiquated. Examples: pay as you go electric meters, not all properties have water meters.

*Why do we have to pay for a license to watch TV?

Society
*Everything is so expensive, from energy/utilities and petrol to necessary commodities of groceries and clothing.

*Morality seems to have gone to hell in a hand basket. People have children to be able to collect benefits (see above); no one seems to be aware of birth control; parental oversight is lacking. Where are all the fathers of the children of single mothers?

*Alcohol consumption is out of control. The drinking age is too young and and they seem to apply no limits.

*Why do renters have to buy their own appliances? They should be furnished by the landlord.

*Everything takes longer than necessary. In the South West, there seems to be a 6 - 8 week wait for everything.

*There is very little customer service in the country as a whole. Why do I have to pay to call a company whose services I have paid for and am unhappy with? Where are the toll-free numbers? And when you do actually call with a problem, they always talk over you to make you feel as though you are totally insignificant.

*People are basically pigs here. They always seem to expect others to clean up their mess, whether it's at McDonald's or on the village green.

*Anti-social behavior is rampant, whether it's spitting on the street, public urinating, or disturbing the peace.

The positives
*The weather is not as extreme as in the US

Note: These are my wife's views and I fully concur.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An American view.

Oh dear ......you must live in an awful low life area.

Why not move somewhere nicer?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Total nightmare eh.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be nice please. The OP didn't really want to open this thread because of flaming but several of us...myself included...ask him to.

I will be keeping a close eye on the responses...hopefully they will be civil.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Let's be nice please. The OP didn't really want to open this thread because of flaming but several of us...myself included...ask him to.

So he is allowed to make ridiculous claims and we are not allowed to respond?

He has a history of this type of post
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Total nightmare eh.
Sounds just like you when you lived in the US!
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Not quite understanding this. You asked him to open the thread?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

He is now also a born and bred American but, not so long ago, he was a returning expat.

He is also now married but was divorced in previous posts?

Something not quite right here
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
He is now also a born and bred American but, not so long ago, he was a returning expat.

He is also now married but was divorced in previous posts?

Something not quite right here
He was most definitely presenting as a Brit up until now.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947

Government
*The benefit system has enabled people to abuse it. Why are benefits unending?
Because we look after our own I'd refer that to no welfare for those in need - which I gather is closer to how the US works?
*Education is inadequate for today's society. No child should be out on the street at age 15 or even 16.
No child does have to leave school at 16. They can stay in education if they wish
*20% VAT is absurdly high. There should be more of a sliding scale for different goods and services as well as geographic location. Obviously, people in the South West do not earn what those in London earn.
Any idea how much that would cost retailers and service providers? The admin costs would be so high that everything would cost more! The country isn't big enough to justify it - unlike the US where states have different taxes etc
*Too lenient punishment for crime. Everyone seems to get suspended sentences or insufficient prison terms, even for murder.
Some may seem lenient but not all are.
*It seems to take forever for the police to respond to calls, especially to non-999 calls. And why do we, the public, have to pay to call the police for disturbance of the peace or ASBO situations?
Someone has to pay the phone bill.
*The infrastructure is antiquated. Examples: pay as you go electric meters, not all properties have water meters.
Electric meters are excellent actually, they help people on a low income to keep an eye on their spending, stops them running up huge bills.
Water meters are being introduced gradually.

*Everything is so expensive, from energy/utilities and petrol to necessary commodities of groceries and clothing.
Same in the US, Australia, Canada........though I must admit I shop online and get everything posted to Australia as UK prices are still a bit cheaper

*Morality seems to have gone to hell in a hand basket. People have children to be able to collect benefits (see above); no one seems to be aware of birth control; parental oversight is lacking. Where are all the fathers of the children of single mothers?
Wouldn't happen in America.......

*Why do renters have to buy their own appliances? They should be furnished by the landlord.
Sorry, but thats just a daft idea. Why on earth should my landlord buy me a toaster and kettle?

=====================

Don't take it personally, but you did post a rant so I have the right to post a reply

I'm not going to answer the rest as I would have to ban myself
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've responded. If he can post, we can reply
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oink oink.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can respond...please keep the response civil.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not quite understanding this. You asked him to open the thread?
Can't remember the thread the posts are in...sorry. The search function is dysfunctional and I can't see posts made after 3 Sept.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

So OP...are these your views or your wifes?...if hers then they seem curiously similar to many of your previous rants
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. If these are your wife's views I'd suggests she does a bit more research before sharing them.

Education is compulsory to age 18.

Shocking. Far better to have to pay for medical insurance than 15p for a phone call eh?

One example of somebody being convicted of murder and given a suspended sentence please?

Any property can request a water meter and it has to be provided for free. Pay as you go electric meters are usually only found in student or similar 'delightful' properties.

*Why do we have to pay for a license to watch TV?
Because most of us would rather pay a small amount for quality programming without adverts every five minutes.

I can't even be bothered to comment on the rest. Suffice to say, you have my sympathy as it sounds like you're living somewhere awful if you're having to phone 101, and are surrounded by benefit claiming alcoholic single parents and murderers roaming the streets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.