Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you go read over in UK-Yankee apparently it's quite a big deal, the lack of mixer taps
Late to the party as usual! We have 6 sinks in the house here in Oregon. Only the kitchen one has a mixer.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:20 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
And American bread apparently doesn't pass muster. So how does one make a decent Ploughmans ? Loved those while I was in the UK Oh and the Cheese and pickle. Yum!
Do you have a Panera? Get a good crusty loaf.

I've found some supermarkets in the US sell a decent cheddar. You have to find white cheddar to get a decent one, for some reason. Some even sell Irish cheddar (never seen English) and Irish butter.

Real English pickled onions can be tricky. Don't substitute the cocktail ones! You can probably find Branston pickle if you try hard, but if not experiment with a US chutney.

But the above should do a pretty good job.

Bev
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
Yeah same as the stuff in cat food... hahaa
Oh yeah Hayley, I hate that jelly stuff in pork pies and I HATE cat food LOL!! My sisters poor cat had to wait until she got up before it got fed because I can not bear to open a tin of cat food LOL!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:25 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I gather Tesco is in the US now. Fresh Foods or something like that. I'd think they'd stock some English stuff, but who knows? Friends who've been to one seem to like it.

Trader Joe's is great fun.

Bev
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I gather Tesco is in the US now. Fresh Foods or something like that. I'd think they'd stock some English stuff, but who knows? Friends who've been to one seem to like it.

Trader Joe's is great fun.

Bev
World Market carry a large range of British foods if you have one near by. We brought pickled onions from there but they were pricey so I made my own in the end.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

AmericanCountrygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah same as the stuff in cat food... hahaa
I'm a wee bit impressed that you can type that well, while scarfing down a sandwich roll! Talent I say! Wow! I had no idea there were such a variety of cheese! Can't wait to sink my teeth into those. Are there vineyards in the countryside too? Is the wine just as wonderful?

So, I'm having a hard time trying to translate the terminology of my research online for getting a job. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm not the dullest either.. I'm truly struggling to wrap my brain around it all. I have been a nurse here in the states for 14 years (just revealed how old I am.. OLD lol 36) 12 of those years have been in hemodialysis, including management for 5 years. I read on one website that one RN couldn't get her license there at all. I assume I won't either.

Which visa would I apply for and can Americans get hired to work in the UK? I had considered trying to woke as a barmaid if I couldn't find work in the medical field. I know you guys are thinking what a freaking idiot, why doesn't she understand.. I'm trying though! ;-)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Great British Railway Journeys - BBC2 TV - Michael Portillo on the Langley Mill (Derbyshire) to Melton Mowbray (Leicestershire) stage of the train journey between Durham City (County Durham) to Melton Mowbray.

When he reaches Melton Mowbray he has a go at making his own pork pie, thankfully under the supervision of the experts. The general advice given to him one he had produced his version of a Melton Mowbray pork pie was that he'd be better off spending his time producing TV programs about the history of the British railway network and the relative 19th century Bradshaw's Guide to all the railway lines making up the entire network. In addition his late night TV discussions with other politicos on the current British political scene, or even as a Conservative Member of the House of Commons.

After being defeated by a prominently gay Labour candidate (Stephen Twigg, now the MP for Liverpool West Derby following his later defeat at Enfield) in his former constituency of Enfield Southgate (North London) in the massive Tony B'liar (aka Blair) landslide that was the 1997 General Election he decided to opt out of being an actual Parliamentarian and stick to other things instead, like riding all around the British Isles on trains and fliming it all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xy9vl
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Great British Railway Journeys - BBC2 TV - Michael Portillo on the Langley Mill (Derbyshire) to Melton Mowbray (Leicestershire) stage of the train journey between Durham City (County Durham) to Melton Mowbray.

When he reaches Melton Mowbray he has a go at making his own pork pie, thankfully under the supervision of the experts. The general advice given to him one he had produced his version of a Melton Mowbray pork pie was that he'd be better off spending his time producing TV programs about the history of the British railway network and the relative 19th century Bradshaw's Guide to all the railway lines making up the entire network. In addition his late night TV discussions with other politicos on the current British political scene, or even as a Conservative Member of the House of Commons.

After being defeated by a prominently gay Labour candidate (Stephen Twigg, now the MP for Liverpool West Derby following his later defeat at Enfield) in his former constituency of Enfield Southgate (North London) in the massive Tony B'liar (aka Blair) landslide that was the 1997 General Election he decided to opt out of being an actual Parliamentarian and stick to other things instead, like riding all around the British Isles on trains and fliming it all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xy9vl
I actually watched that episode last night on iPlayer and the preceding episode too. I'm not sure that he exudes personality, but I quite like his understated way of presenting this program. It certainly makes a change from the gushing, self interested yahoo's that you get on some of the other programs ... that pair on To Buy Or Not To Buy spring readily to mind
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
OMG this is TORTURE .... Cheshire cheese is my favorite ... and gulp ... pork pie
Drool.....
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmericanCountrygirl
I'm a wee bit impressed that you can type that well, while scarfing down a sandwich roll! Talent I say! Wow! I had no idea there were such a variety of cheese! Can't wait to sink my teeth into those. Are there vineyards in the countryside too? Is the wine just as wonderful?

So, I'm having a hard time trying to translate the terminology of my research online for getting a job. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm not the dullest either.. I'm truly struggling to wrap my brain around it all. I have been a nurse here in the states for 14 years (just revealed how old I am.. OLD lol 36) 12 of those years have been in hemodialysis, including management for 5 years. I read on one website that one RN couldn't get her license there at all. I assume I won't either.

Which visa would I apply for and can Americans get hired to work in the UK? I had considered trying to woke as a barmaid if I couldn't find work in the medical field. I know you guys are thinking what a freaking idiot, why doesn't she understand.. I'm trying though! ;-)
You need to contact the NMC in the UK about getting your UK qualifications. They do a college class for international nurses I think. Sort of a skills check thing.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by beachgal21
World Market carry a large range of British foods if you have one near by. We brought pickled onions from there but they were pricey so I made my own in the end.
Orlando has an International supermarket that supplys all the brit shops its open to the public , they have E"verything" bacon, sausuage, pot noodles , crisps, brown sauce , chocolate, raddox baths...etc.... i miss going there but going home will be better (:
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Drool.....
I just had a pork pie tonight after all this talk and it has to STOP I tell you as I am supposed to be on a diet LOL!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Orlando has an International supermarket that supplys all the brit shops its open to the public , they have E"verything" bacon, sausuage, pot noodles , crisps, brown sauce , chocolate, raddox baths...etc.... i miss going there but going home will be better (:
Where is this store and whats it called? I often go to Orlando and would love to take a look.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I just had a pork pie tonight after all this talk and it has to STOP I tell you as I am supposed to be on a diet LOL!!
Yep me too!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

[QUOTE=beachgal21;9135804]Where is this store and whats it called? I often go to Orlando and would love to take a look.[/Q

Here ya go, here is the link. they have it all.. its right down the road from universal studios... on a road just off of Kirkman Road... have fun!
http://internationalfoodclub.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.