Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all
Default Re: American moving to the UK the good, bad and the ugly

Originally Posted by cuttysark
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but your situation sounds almost exactly like mine (I think) and I stumbled upon this forum in hopes for some answers/advice.
I moved to the US with my family (Mum, Dad, Sister) from the UK when I was 14. I'm almost 30 now and I want to move back to the UK. The rest of my family seems quite content with staying in the US for the foreseeable future, but I've never shook the feeling that I might just be better off over there. I've just renewed my green card, we've not become citizens. It's making me re-think where I want to be, and where I'd be most happy. I've still got loads of friends in the UK and all of my extended family. What was your experience like? Similar?
I can very much relate to you.. I had some great years in high school and growing up, but every time i go home the stress melts, people feel more real and i just feel at peace and that is so important. i want kids I dont have any yet. I am not married so I want all that but I want it where i feel "right", i guess.. its scary but I have nothing to lose.. try and apply for your citizenship.. its a good back up plan as now i have passports for the UK and the U.S, so should d one day my mind change i could always come back (doubt it though) its not easy and there will be stuff to get used to, but my sister moved back when she was 29 (shes now 31) and loves it... we were very "pro" USA for a while but not anymore, it seems so superficial an adjust a game of who has the better , house, car, job etc.... I miss English people and i want to take advantage of having Europe at my door step. i have done a lot in the U.S and happy for my time here, but I am ready to go home.. Where are you in the states? and where is home in the UK? message me anytime.. and good luck (:
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

cuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nicecuttysark is just really nice

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
I can very much relate to you.. I had some great years in high school and growing up, but every time i go home the stress melts, people feel more real and i just feel at peace and that is so important. i want kids I dont have any yet. I am not married so I want all that but I want it where i feel "right", i guess.. its scary but I have nothing to lose.. try and apply for your citizenship.. its a good back up plan as now i have passports for the UK and the U.S, so should d one day my mind change i could always come back (doubt it though) its not easy and there will be stuff to get used to, but my sister moved back when she was 29 (shes now 31) and loves it... we were very "pro" USA for a while but not anymore, it seems so superficial an adjust a game of who has the better , house, car, job etc.... I miss English people and i want to take advantage of having Europe at my door step. i have done a lot in the U.S and happy for my time here, but I am ready to go home.. Where are you in the states? and where is home in the UK? message me anytime.. and good luck (:
I'm in Chicago right now, moved here about 6 years ago thinking big city life would be the change I needed. My family moved to North Carolina initially for my Dad's job so they are all still there (parents are at the Outer Banks, sister in Raleigh). Thanks for your reply, it does seem we're in the same boat. Are the rest of your family (except your sister) still in America too?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

I'm in Chicago right now, moved here about 6 years ago thinking big city life would be the change I needed. My family moved to North Carolina initially for my Dad's job so they are all still there (parents are at the Outer Banks, sister in Raleigh). Thanks for your reply, it does seem we're in the same boat. Are the rest of your family (except your sister) still in America too?
moved over back in 90 with mom, stepdad.. and sister... the "bastard " stepdad is out the picture now (lol, sorry) and mom plans on moving back with me... whole big family at home i need to get to know again (:
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, was thinking about the citizenship/green card decision. Might need to revisit that since my parents and sister will be staying in the US. I had planned on coming back to the US once a year and saying my parents' house was my residence. Don't know if that'll fly, so I might just need to take the citizenship plunge.
You need to be resident, so eventually you'll get caught out as they could say good bye after day 1. There's no really reason not to get it tbh
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just a wee bit embarrassed over the number of typos in my last contribution to this thread - that's what comes of typing with one hand (my left hand as I am a cack hander) and scoffing a cheese and Branston roll with the other.

There are literally hundreds of cheeses here in the UK, many of them completely unknown to the majority of people here but not to the locals where they are produced.

The number of those cheeses that are well known is quite large really, and many bear the names of the places to which they are associated but not specifically produced there any more - Cheshire (very tasty and very crumbly and a creamy white in colour), Lancashire, Wensleydale, Caerphilly, Double and Single Gloucesters, Red Leicester, Somerset Brie, Hereford Blue and many others - and not forgetting Stilton - a favourite of many people, great with a nice red wine, but no longer exclusively produced in the wee Cambridgeshire village of Stilton itself, its original home way back in time, but now largely produced in nearby Leicestershire, in the Melton Mowbray area, the home of the traditional pork pies. A real genuine Melton Mowbray pork pie is an experience in itself..fantastic with HP sauce.

On a recent Great British Railways Journey on BBC-2 TV undertaken by Michael Portillo, in which he travelled by train from Durham city, in the NE of England, down through Yorkshire and into the East Midlands ending up in Leicestershire and in Melton Mowbray itself, he was presented with a sizeable freshly made pork pie which he absolutely drooled over as he sliced into it - and so did I as I watched it.

There is a shop in Melton Mowbray which sells nothing else but pork pies of all sizes, just as there is a shop over in Norwich, Norfolk, which sells nothing but English mustards. Maybe the pies and the mustards go well together.

Down in Gloucestershire, in the wee town of Tetbury, just a mile or so down the road from Highgrove House, the home of Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, there is a shop which sells nothing but cheeses........he is its patron, so HRH obviously likes cheese.

http://www.houseofcheese.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Guid nicht fae Scotland.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I'm just a wee bit embarrassed over the number of typos in my last contribution to this thread - that's what comes of typing with one hand (my left hand as I am a cack hander) and scoffing a cheese and Branston roll with the other.

There are literally hundreds of cheeses here in the UK, many of them completely unknown to the majority of people here but not to the locals where they are produced.

The number of those cheeses that are well known is quite large really, and many bear the names of the places to which they are associated but not specifically produced there any more - Cheshire (very tasty and very crumbly and a creamy white in colour), Lancashire, Wensleydale, Caerphilly, Double and Single Gloucesters, Red Leicester, Somerset Brie, Hereford Blue and many others - and not forgetting Stilton - a favourite of many people, great with a nice red wine, but no longer exclusively produced in the wee Cambridgeshire village of Stilton itself, its original home way back in time, but now largely produced in nearby Leicestershire, in the Melton Mowbray area, the home of the traditional pork pies. A real genuine Melton Mowbray pork pie is an experience in itself..fantastic with HP sauce.

On a recent Great British Railways Journey on BBC-2 TV undertaken by Michael Portillo, in which he travelled by train from Durham city, in the NE of England, down through Yorkshire and into the East Midlands ending up in Leicestershire and in Melton Mowbray itself, he was presented with a sizeable freshly made pork pie which he absolutely drooled over as he sliced into it - and so did I as I watched it.

There is a shop in Melton Mowbray which sells nothing else but pork pies of all sizes, just as there is a shop over in Norwich, Norfolk, which sells nothing but English mustards. Maybe the pies and the mustards go well together.

Down in Gloucestershire, in the wee town of Tetbury, just a mile or so down the road from Highgrove House, the home of Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, there is a shop which sells nothing but cheeses........he is its patron, so HRH obviously likes cheese.

http://www.houseofcheese.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Guid nicht fae Scotland.
OMG this is TORTURE .... Cheshire cheese is my favorite ... and gulp ... pork pie
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:17 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A decent local bakery...but only as a treat, can't feed a family of kids on $5-6 loaves of bread

Same with the cheese, Trader Joes or WholeFoods if you don't have all indie places...but bit too pricey for every day family munching.

Cheese has gotten better here in the last couple of years, well variety at least, but they need to stop thinking something is age old cheddar if it's aged 6-9 months...that's just smeg, it's not aged till 3 years at least
Don't mind the price as long as I can make them every now and then, for a treat Our local grocery stores all make fresh bread and they are really nice and hot if you can grab them as soon as they get them out of the oven. The bread is really good. Shall try the local Trader Joes for the cheese, Bob. Any particular brand or should I be looking for or are they the imported from the UK type? I saw a few UK cheeses when I was at Costco. Don't remember seeing any Chedder though. Branston pickle I can find, so that's not a problem .....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
OMG this is TORTURE .... Cheshire cheese is my favorite ... and gulp ... pork pie

Me too - I adore Cheshire as well. I really miss the huge variety of cheese you can get in the UK. Hopefully it won't be long until I'm back to experience them all
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Melton in November, had these most delish ploughmans lunch with a big slice of Pork Pie........Oh god the memories....
Leicester is my home city.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I was in Melton in November, had these most delish ploughmans lunch with a big slice of Pork Pie........Oh god the memories....

The only thing i dont like about pork pies is when they have too much Jelly stuff in em'..lol
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I used to work in Leicester years ago at The Belmont Hotel in De Montfort St
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
...Shall try the local Trader Joes for the cheese, Bob. Any particular brand or should I be looking for or are they the imported from the UK type? I saw a few UK cheeses when I was at Costco. Don't remember seeing any Chedder though. Branston pickle I can find, so that's not a problem .....
For the cheap every day snack cheese for the little one, I get the Kiwi Cheddar, it's a couple bucks a block and much nicer than Cabot....but for proper cheese, they have a lovely 5 year aged Canadian cheese, also some English and Irish cheeses. The NY aged cheddar isn't to bad, not massively strong, but it does taste pretty good.

If you like Stilton, or the other mixed layer cheeses, they have a bunch of those too...and their own branded goat cheese is really good for cheap money. Also the parmesan cheese is really good value for money, they have a couple of varieties, both awesome, and the grated stuff in the green tube is the best, and cheapest I've found that taste of cheese and not cardboard.

They also have this dark yellow, shredded cheddar cheese, it's the best thing pre-shredded for pizza, sauces or whatever else you'd use.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
The only thing i dont like about pork pies is when they have too much Jelly stuff in em'..lol
When I was a little girl the only part of a pork pie I would eat was the pastry, now I eat it all but like you I don't like too much aspic (thats the jelly stuff)
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Not a huge fan of walmart but i noticed someof the newer , nicer ones have packaged "Englsih Cheddar" at the deli... not too bad...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beachgal21
When I was a little girl the only part of a pork pie I would eat was the pastry, now I eat it all but like you I don't like too much aspic (thats the jelly stuff)
Yeah same as the stuff in cat food... hahaa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.