Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by lizajeanoz
Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!

I don't think you're mad at all, but what about visas? Are you able to live in UK? Apologies if this has been asked and answered already.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

lizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise
I am so enjoying reading these responses! Thank you all so much for taking the time. I'm laughing at many, and sighing at a few. Yes, I have watched a tad too many BBC historical mini-series, no doubt, so reality vs. fantasy, is a bit of an issue. I don't mind murky weather - I'm from San Francisco - and actually prefer it -- but murky people, different story. That can get me down like nothing else. I currently live in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, and honestly think a lot of the people there have their head stuck -- well, you get the picture. I would just like to live in an english speaking country close to Europe -- that's the primary attraction.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:18 am
Just Joined

lizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to all

Where do you live? It sounds wonderful.

I have dual Australian/American citizenship, as does my daughter (whose dad is british born, so we are working on her Brit citizenship at the moment), so I don't think a visa will be hard for me, as others have mentioned. Cheers!

[QUOTE=jugsy]
Originally Posted by rossfive5
. I happen to think the countryside is stunningly beautiful. But why live there? QUOTE]

1. Stunning scenery
2. Space and fresh air
3. Village life - know people, fetes, clubs, etc
4. lovely walks with kids, dogs etc
5. less crime
6. slower pace of life
7. traffic jams only when cows on the road
8. Lovely pubs
9. lovely birds nesting around about in your garden
10.strawberry picking and cream teas

I live in a village and it's great. True it's very expensive if you're a first time buyer but ok if you have equity or are renting.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Yes, but Madonna can sing better than me (just!) Thanks for your encouraging comments!

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Personally speaking I think the British are very accepting of immigrants. I was on Oxford street yesterday and London has to be one of the most multicultural cities in the world. People of all different nationalities going about their day without any worries of racial hatred.
England is a fantastic country and most of the people are very friendly. O.K. we don't bid everyone to 'Hve a nice day' because lets be honest, it sounds so false and unBritish to say such things. If you are concerned about being 40 something with a daughter I would not worry. There are so many different kinds of family in this world today that if anyone did batter an eyelid, they would probably have just come out of a coma from 1959!
I say try it, you really don;t have anything to lose. after all, look at Madonna!!! There is a prime example of a 40 something single mum who has settled well into the country and even bagged herself a nice chap!!!
Whatever you decide, I really think Britain is a fantastic country!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jugsy]
Originally Posted by rossfive5
. I happen to think the countryside is stunningly beautiful. But why live there? QUOTE]

1. Stunning scenery
2. Space and fresh air
3. Village life - know people, fetes, clubs, etc
4. lovely walks with kids, dogs etc
5. less crime
6. slower pace of life
7. traffic jams only when cows on the road
8. Lovely pubs
9. lovely birds nesting around about in your garden
10.strawberry picking and cream teas

I live in a village and it's great. True it's very expensive if you're a first time buyer but ok if you have equity or are renting.
Good stuff.

In the OP's situation, I would consider living in a UK village providing it was not 'spoilt', had the right mix of countryside, flora and fauna - hard to explain, moorland or flat does not do it for me(!), had houses on 1/2 an acre plus and the mortgage was 1/4 to 1/3 of my income. I'd consider the Cotswolds and Shropshire. But even parts of the Cotswolds I've noticed are not what they used to be.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!
I lived in a village in England and I really liked village life. I don't think you would have a problem fitting in, especially as you could make friends with other mums if your daughter went to the local village school. A few of my friends were single mums in their 40's and they managed to get dates (mostly via internet chat rooms though!)

I still love watching tv programmes such as Midsommer Murders and Doc Martin, etc, where they show beautiful locations (and don't tend to show the reality of non-stop rain and vandalism).

On the plus side living in the UK will enable you to take advantage of very cheap airfares to the rest of Europe.

All the best with your future plans.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ladylisa
The thing I have always enjoyed about this forum and the USA forum is the sensible, intelligent and well balanced approach by users of the forum. Calling a spade a spade and not just saying a negative because you dont no better, but you think you do. There are some who have joined this forum that should be ashamed of themselves, Britain for all its faults is our homeland. It it precisely because of the upbringing we have enjoyed that we have the freedom of speech and movement that we have. That comes with it a responsibility which it seems some abuse. For those that have nothing but negative to say I ask are you proud of your comments? How does it make you feel that an American lady who is asking about living in your homeland seems more proud of the chance of living there than you. I ask why do you feel a need to p*ss on someone elses parade. If you dont like the UK either make yourself proactive in the change or move out. You all seem to like moaning about immigrants and yet you want to live somewhere else as an immigrant and hope everyones nice to you! I am normally someone that shy's away from any type of argument on these forums however I feel enough of you. I cant stand the stupidness. It comes to something when I have to log on to the Yankee forum to hear people being nice about my homeland.
well said
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lizajeanoz]Where do you live? It sounds wonderful.

I have dual Australian/American citizenship, as does my daughter (whose dad is british born, so we are working on her Brit citizenship at the moment), so I don't think a visa will be hard for me, as others have mentioned. Cheers!

Dorset
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Bryson was one American who enjoyed living in the UK.

He lived in Malham (Yorkshire) for years and, I believe, has returned to England.

He has travelled a lot but still preferred Yorkshire

G
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
No I am not a chav. I do not believe I am dumb either, and my employers over the years would agree with me.
People have actually employed you?

Tell me, was it in Scum'R'us or a chain of sheltered workshops?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:19 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

=lizajeanoz]....I don't mind murky weather - I'm from San Francisco - and actually prefer it -- but murky people, different story. That can get me down like nothing else.....[/QUOTE]

if this is the case then definitely head for one of the villages - you'll find more friendly faces and more community spirit than is probably possible in a sprawling mass of skyscrapers and traffic. Someone else suggested the Cotwolds....excellent choice. We're just on the edge, and yes whilst some of it isn't what it used to be, there is still much to rave about.

What line of work are you in?

......as does my daughter (whose dad is british born, so we are working on her Brit citizenship at the moment), so I don't think a visa will be hard for me, as others have mentioned....
I don't want to dampen your spirits, but..... if you are no longer married to a British man (be it your daughters father or someone else) your eligibility for a visa would not be straight forward just because your daughter has a right to be here. We, as a family, have faced this issue. You need to do some serious research in this regard. JAJ is often lurking on these boards so he may be able to offer some advice too.

All the best
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
Look who's talking!

Your profile shows you calling one of the greatest cities on earth a 'cesspit'...
I live here, and it is. How is that name calling ? Its my opinion based on the facts I see, unlike someone calling me a chav who has never met me. Do you get it now or do I need to explain further ?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Nice blog you've got there. Is that a cut 'n paste job from the BNP's website? You seem obsessed with immigration and your answer is to emmigrate.
At least the Uk is off-loading another hypocritical, no-mates simpleton who believes eveything the press tells them. London a "cesspit"? Have you actually been anywhere in Sydney other than Darling Harbour and The Rocks? Boy are you in for a shock. Most of Sydney qualifies it as the second most ugly, superficial, boring city in the world, losing out narrowly to the mighty paradise of Perth.

Seriously, hurry up and bog off to Aus.
Good points, well made

Right, to answer.

1) Thanks for the praise on the blog. It is not from the BNP's website. It is my view. Everyone is entitled to one.
2) Indeed it is. I have loads of mates. I have worked in Investment Banking all my life, in the city of London. How many simpletons do this ? Strange, last time I looked we were all highly paid professionals.
3) Yes i have been there. Your point is ?

Stay in the UK is my advice to you. You seem clearly suited to it.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
People have actually employed you?

Tell me, was it in Scum'R'us or a chain of sheltered workshops?
Is there a Scum'R'us then ? Great, where can I find an outlet ?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Is there a Scum'R'us then ? Great, where can I find an outlet ?
Don't you own shares in it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.