Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
OMG, you find comments like 'brilliant'? Are you some kind of chav with a dumber than dumb sense of humour? Or just another hypocritical immigrant?
Who rattled your cage ?

Sticks and stones......

If you've got nothing better than name calling, I suggest you just keep a lid on it.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Who rattled your cage ?

Sticks and stones......

If you've got nothing better than name calling, I suggest you just keep a lid on it.
I didn't call you anything. I asked you a question. It's like asking if you are tall, dark and handsome. Except I asked if you were a chav with a dumb sense of humour.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I didn't call you anything. I asked you a question. It's like asking if you are tall, dark and handsome. Except I asked if you were a chav with a dumb sense of humour.
No I am not a chav. I do not believe I am dumb either, and my employers over the years would agree with me.

Questions answered then.

Dont see how you drew those potential conclusions from my post. I thought it was funny, and very true at the same time.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:24 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the US from the UK because we wanted a new experience. I liked the UK. We moved from the North West...The Wirral. Our schools were excellent, property is reasonable, depends what you want.
We found people in the NW to be very friendly , we moved from London where they were not so friendly
Near to N. Wales. Bear in mind that if you go to Wales your daughter will have to learn Welsh. My OH worked in Wrexham but could have been transferred at any time and the language aspect put us off Wales because it wouldn't have been much use anywhere else. But if you plan to stay in Wales then being Welsh speaking is an advantage for some jobs.
No idea about Visas. There must be a web page on some government website.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:50 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Brilliant post.

It would also help if you had no skills, and wanted to claim benefits immediately.

maybe that's my problem.....not being a drain on the economy is working against me!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:55 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nonsense.
not necessarily..... the grown ups are fine (although no one could accuse them of being overly friendly), but back when I was growing up both my sister and I suffered endless abuse at school for the simple reason that we were from Zimbabwe. Big crime. Then when we left and went to Papua New Guinea for a couple of years (no abuse there as most in school were expats of some sort) and returned there was even more abuse. It only really stopped after the first year in high school.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Piranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise
Whehey - sweeping generalisation galore! How about providing some facts (as other people have done on this thread), rather than throwing your own frustration into the pond? Seems to me that would be much more helpful to Liza rather than a negative attitude. But that's of course just my 2 cents.

But to keep your rather personal tirade balanced: I am German, moved to London in 1999, have been traipsing across the globe due to work assignments for the past couple of years, but ultimately consider the UK to be home and can't wait to move back in the next couple of years. I have never experienced any of the attributes mentioned above and actually, having been back to the UK a couple of months ago, found them more charming and friendly than ever. And then of course there is nothing better than British humour!

Herewith endeth the rant.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

gasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suebrennan
You need serious money behind you. If you have a nice home here you will be shocked at how little those dollars will buy you in the UK. Then there is that minor detail of the weather.

It completely depends on your circumstances, how much capital you will have to take with you, what you do for a living, where you plan on living in the UK and so on. There are advantages and disadvantages to everywhere.

Get some good advice, do lots of research and if at all possible do a reccie before committing. There are an awful lot of us that are going to or have gone to great lengths to get to Oz. Speaks for itself really.

Sue
mmmmmmm you been keeping in touch re weather, uk having water shortage, hottest temps on record. we have water drought here, and have u seen price of property in Oz, how little way the dollar goes. selective viewing eh
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:16 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you are not mad to want to move to the U.K.
Before doing so, get your children citizenship for Aus for their future.
We live in an area of previous race riots, the media portray harmony amongst this dissaray and I want out. I could move around the U.K, that would not change my views on government policies and human rights laws.These are my personal views and I know every country has their downfalls, except Australia has their policies in place and that has done it for me.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

gasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
No, you are not mad to want to move to the U.K.
Before doing so, get your children citizenship for Aus for their future.
We live in an area of previous race riots, the media portray harmony amongst this dissaray and I want out. I could move around the U.K, that would not change my views on government policies and human rights laws.These are my personal views and I know every country has their downfalls, except Australia has their policies in place and that has done it for me.

How little you know about oz then, too many people see oz as an escape and are disappointed when they find it is not paradise. I am not knocking Oz and I will not knock the UK. My skills taught to me as a tradesman in the uk are second to none in the world, There were brawls in the northern suburbs here in Perth involving somalian refugees and police, nothing was printed in the paper as wa does not have these probs. I had to spend almost all monday night in A & E at royal Perth hospital , i saw drunks being evicted by security with nightsticks, a fight between security and a homeless guy looking for a dry shelter, and loads of posters warning about abuse and assaults on staff. no diff to uk. Oz is beautiful but dont get too carried away
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:55 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gasdoctor
How little you know about oz then, too many people see oz as an escape and are disappointed when they find it is not paradise. I am not knocking Oz and I will not knock the UK. My skills taught to me as a tradesman in the uk are second to none in the world, There were brawls in the northern suburbs here in Perth involving somalian refugees and police, nothing was printed in the paper as wa does not have these probs. I had to spend almost all monday night in A & E at royal Perth hospital , i saw drunks being evicted by security with nightsticks, a fight between security and a homeless guy looking for a dry shelter, and loads of posters warning about abuse and assaults on staff. no diff to uk. Oz is beautiful but dont get too carried away
I know a lot about Australia having lived my child/youth years there before returning to the U.K. and I am fully aware of racial problems in Australia. I am not entering this with my eyes shut nor am I expecting paradise.
I have not been to Perth, yet I understand media blackouts of racial confrontation from my own town. I am not ignorant to what goes on and hope that the situation is sorted in the area you live. This is how the riots in my town began form escalation of incidents which went unreported by the local paper from fear of retribution from either sides.
We will be moving to Melbourne, joining my Dad and family and we have seen homelessness and drug abuse but compared to the tension of the waiting time bomb we are living with here, I am ready and prepared from recent visits to face the future there with my family.
J x
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=rossfive5]. I happen to think the countryside is stunningly beautiful. But why live there? QUOTE]

1. Stunning scenery
2. Space and fresh air
3. Village life - know people, fetes, clubs, etc
4. lovely walks with kids, dogs etc
5. less crime
6. slower pace of life
7. traffic jams only when cows on the road
8. Lovely pubs
9. lovely birds nesting around about in your garden
10.strawberry picking and cream teas

I live in a village and it's great. True it's very expensive if you're a first time buyer but ok if you have equity or are renting.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

No I am not a chav. I do not believe I am dumb either, and my employers over the years would agree with me.

Questions answered then.

Dont see how you drew those potential conclusions from my post. I thought it was funny, and very true at the same time.
Hidden Paw is not the only one to draw these conclusions from your posts.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise

Louise -my Mum and my family are Irish. My Mum has never had any grief whilst in England for being Irish ,even at the height of the IRA bombings.
I on the other hand spent all my childhood holidays in Ireland and got plenty of grief for being "a Brit" and this was despite the fact that I have an Irish Mother and my Gran, Aunts and cousins are all there. I know first hand how judgemental the irish can be. My cousin was practically disowned for having an Egyptian boyfriend. The Irish like to give the impression that they are friendly and welcoming but in fact are probably less tolerant of outsiders than the average Brit. What they show on the surface is not always what they are feeling. all I am saying is don't dismiss the british for being unfriendly and judgemental when The Irish are no better. I feel able to comment being half and half.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:45 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

...do not believe I am dumb either, and my employers over the years would agree with me 'cos I'm great blah blah and boy is the Uk gonna be sorry to be losing me blah blah immigrants blah moan etc..."
Nice blog you've got there. Is that a cut 'n paste job from the BNP's website? You seem obsessed with immigration and your answer is to emmigrate.
At least the Uk is off-loading another hypocritical, no-mates simpleton who believes eveything the press tells them. London a "cesspit"? Have you actually been anywhere in Sydney other than Darling Harbour and The Rocks? Boy are you in for a shock. Most of Sydney qualifies it as the second most ugly, superficial, boring city in the world, losing out narrowly to the mighty paradise of Perth.
The BBC is now also onto the fact that we are being invaded, consumed from within by parasites.
Kick em all out I say, let them go and bomb their own bleedin kind !
etc etc
Seriously, hurry up and bog off to Aus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.