Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise
I hope I haven't started a slanging match, but I can honestly say that I have come across alot of the above types. There were some folk that were really friendly and helpful on the surface but most were clicky, the women anyway.

And the kids are a nightmare, cheeky mean vandals.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:52 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizajeanoz
Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!

Try Lincolnshire, out of all the places in England I have lived, it is the safest, prettiest and friendliest....property getting more expensive but not yet ridiculous....lots and lots of countryside
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise
Nonsense.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Grayling
Nonsense.
oh grayling you do post some helpful information don't you.

as for the op - can you try before you buy, as someone else suggested a holiday may be a good idea. and have a real good look at property prices so you have an idea where you can afford to buy or how long you can rent in a certain area before you HAVE to get a job. then you could maybe holiday there and get a much better picture of that area, prospects, schooling, general vibe etc.

good luck
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Have you checked out the Uk Yankee website? Loads of information for people moving from the US (I know you lived in Australia, but this website will still give you useful information) to the UK (and good information regarding visas for US citizens). Check out http://www.uk-yankee.com/. Good luck!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Hello (new here)

I think you need to think long and hard about the sort of education and influences you want your daughter exposed to. Britain is a wonderful country in many ways but IMO the education system sucks the big one and bullying is endemic even in better schools. As has been said already, if it was just you I would say go for it, but I don't think Britain is a good place to grow up right now. If you want more info on areas, house prices, schools etc, you are more than welcome to pm me (though I am no expert).
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Louise
You mean, not judgmental like you?

Following on from your total tosh, it's a while since I visited the Emerald Isle. Please remind me which part of the Irish countryside is not inhabited by non-judgmental, religious bigots that constantly mumble f*** in to their Guinness.

Now I'm revealing my judgmental side.

And I withdraw nothing.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
I think you need to think long and hard about the sort of education and influences you want your daughter exposed to. Britain is a wonderful country in many ways but IMO the education system sucks the big one and bullying is endemic even in better schools. As has been said already, if it was just you I would say go for it, but I don't think Britain is a good place to grow up right now.
Even more tosh.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:41 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Louise
What a load of tosh ,we are one of the most welcoming to migrants on the planet and a lot more accepting than the irish and as for the australians being welcoming thats an effin joke ,there are more rednecks here than in the whole of the united states .
Its a well known fact the irish and the australians get on and why wouldnt they ,they are evenly balanced and have a chip on both shoulders when it comes to the english and infact there are a whole heap of nations who dont get on with the english ,but do we care ,do we f--k .We dont have to prove we are nice we are nice ,600000 new migrants think so
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Even more tosh.
Just what I would expect from the rudest and most bitter man on BE.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sassenach
infact there are a whole heap of nations who dont get on with the english ,but do we care ,do we f--k .We dont have to prove we are nice we are nice ,600000 new migrants think so

Just love this, made me laugh (in a kind of agreeing with you way, I hasten to add).
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
You mean, not judgmental like you?

Following on from your total tosh, it's a while since I visited the Emerald Isle. Please remind me which part of the Irish countryside is not inhabited by non-judgmental, religious bigots that constantly mumble f*** in to their Guinness.

Now I'm revealing my judgmental side.

And I withdraw nothing.
Now, that's funny
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Brilliant post.

It would also help if you had no skills, and wanted to claim benefits immediately.
OMG, you find comments like 'brilliant'? Are you some kind of chav with a dumber than dumb sense of humour? Or just another hypocritical immigrant?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

And now the name calling starts. Surely it is not for the Poms to say how they are perceived by immigrants to the UK, but for ex immigrants who have been at the receiving end of their hospitality or lack thereof to share how they were treated, especially if they had kids of the same age when they arrived.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

The South West is a lovely place to live, especially Dorset. Lots of rolling countryside and still close enough to the sea. Great scenery, pretty villages and traditional pubs. Dont get much bad press about local schools either.

The downside is that a bog standard 2 bedroom house in a village would probably set you back about £200,000 as alot of people buy holiday homes in this area bumping prices up.

A couple of our Amercan friends are about to return to America and the wife absolutely hated the British weather, she never got used to it even after 3 years and cant wait to get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.