Almost one year and loving it!

Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

FullCircle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost one year and loving it!

Hi Everyone
I firstly need to apologise for the delayed update and to thank this forum, and Choccie, Spouse of Scouse and Mummyinthefoothils in particular, for the advice and support prior to the big move. I've been home for nearly a year now after spending 43 of my 53 years in Oz. Here's a quick snapshot of my recommendations for members still planning their move:

Removalist - Wridgways. Excellent service from start to finish. The container arrived within six weeks of arrival, very well coordinated and great communication. The three local lads who unloaded the container were fantastic to say the least. There are 43 steps leading to the front door and there was not one complaint for the nearly 8 hours it took to carry everything up.

Pet Transport - Sherae Petlink in Canning Vale West Aust. Their office is a little chaotic but they did the job. Our lovely Westie arrived happy, clean and wagging his tail. He has adapted so well and loves his new life.

Bank - I opened an account with HSBC before I left. It cost $200 but was well worth it as it is very hard to open an account without proof of address when you arrive.

Drivers Licence - Apply for a UK licence as soon as you arrive as you cannot get car insurance without one. The Post Office has the form and you just need to post it off with your overseas licence, a photo and £50.

Doctor - Register at the your local Surgery when you arrive. They will find or initiate your NHS number. I'm not sure if my number is from when I was born here or a new one but there was no hassle or interrogation. If you are over 60, all of your medication is free of charge. If you are under 60 and take a fair amount of meds, there is an annual payment you can make to reduce the costs.

Well, they're the basics, I hope they're helpful. I haven't had chance to catch up on the forum yet, I need a good few hours to do that, but I'll find the time and put in my two cents worth if I can assist.

I think the only thing which I'm finding a bit tiring is the constant explaining of "Why the move from sunny Oz to the UK?". If I can't be bothered, I just tell them it was time for a change and leave it at that. If I'm in the mood, I can waffle on for an hour - and they wish they'd never asked!

Speaking of waffling....

Thanks again to all the lovely members of this forum, I hope I can now return the favour.

FullCircle
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Almost one year and loving it!

Thanks F.C. Glad to see that you are now settled in, when u arrived did you rent, and if so was there any problem with your Westie? ( Finding suitable accommodation)

That's another place we were looking at if and when we return, there seems to be quite a lot of Boomers there,
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hoo congrats on making a go of it!! And to Cornwall too! That's where we're going... I'd love to grab a Cream Tea (or Pasty) with you once we arrive

We'll be getting there in January. Our container will likely arrive in Feb. We're hoping to have a rental place squared away by then.

Thanks for all the notes and suggestions... I think we're in pretty good shape.

Take care, M
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi FE. No, I didn't rent, I stayed with relatives before buying a house. I've just had a quick look on the Zoopla website for pet friendly rentals in Cornwall and there are 106 properties so I don't think you'll have a problem. The UK is a nation of dog lovers. My Westie is allowed in the Pub, travels on the train with me and was even allowed in a Mercure Hotel room! There's a Pasty shop and Bakery on every corner (and many in between), Mr Muffin. I could write a book on Cornish Pasties I've eaten that many! Good luck with the move, you'll be here before you know it. FC
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

One more quick piece of advice. When the removalists arrive, make sure you place 'Please Leave' signs on the things you are taking with you on the plane. They move like greased lightening and it's hard to keep an eye on them and what they're wrapping and packing at all times. Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FullCircle

Drivers Licence - Apply for a UK licence as soon as you arrive as you cannot get car insurance without one. The Post Office has the form and you just need to post it off with your overseas licence, a photo and £50.

FullCircle
Congrats!

Quick question about the driving licence.
I had a look on the gov.co.uk site and it says you need to take a test, maybe both theory and practical to swap an overseas licence for a UK licence.

My wife will need to do this next year.
How did you apply for one so easily without taking any tests?
Where was your other licence from?

Many thanks
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

I had an Australian Licence to drive a manual car. Prior to leaving Oz I was under the impression that I may have to sit a test if I was applying for a manual licence but there was no mention of this on the form and, as I was planning on buying an automatic car, it wasn't an issue. I received a full UK Licence by sending the form and payment. You should be able to access the form ( D1) on the DVLA's website.....www.gov.uk/browse/driving. I've just had a quick look at the site and it would seem that Australia is a designated country with an exchange agreement, maybe that was why it was so straightforward. Hope this helps. FC
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:47 am
DMT
Just Joined

DMT is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a question about the driving licence, did you wait before applying as the first question is:
Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You’re normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived in for at least 185 days.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi DMT. I've just checked my paperwork and I applied on 7 March which was approx. 3 months after I arrived. There are no questions on the form about residency or proof of address etc. Maybe it's because you are surrendering your previous licence that they believe you are genuinely here to stay.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry DMT, I've just re-read the form and it does state 'To apply for a GB licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days' but I clearly had my date of arrival as 11 December and didn't have any problems.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Great update FullCircle! So glad you are doing well and enjoying life in the UK
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks NiHao. The Sheepskin Ear Muffs have just come out of the back of the wardrobe but after having such a fantastic Summer, I'm not complaining. I had my first 'real' sun tan in years!