Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Glad you're back where you want to be. Have a buttery for me
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and lets hope things are on the up for you from now on!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Good luck and lets hope things are on the up for you from now on!
Have so enjoyed your update on your arrival back , all the very best
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

You must be so relieved. Good Luck in the next stage of your adventure...
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Jan good luck back in Scotland, I hope you find everything you have been missing in Australia.

We arrived in WA about the same time as you, so its sad to hear you have left.

Good Luck for the future

Gems
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Glad you're back where you want to be. Have a buttery for me
Not had a chance for a buttery yet - but rest assured I will have one soon (and one for you too).

Thanks for all the lovely good luck wishes. My positive head is on and I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Even the rain yesterday didn't dampen my mood ~ it just made my hair curly

Think I've not adjusted to UK time yet as I've been checking emails since 5am.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan, just heard that you've moved back. Your update post made me well up and I'm happy in Oz!! So glad you are happy. Never really talked on BE but followed your posts on one thread in particular......

Good luck, hope you find jobs and a house quickly!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the good wishes.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least that trip is over and done with! Glad that you have arrived safe and sound, if a little grubbier than you hoped for (maybe we should add to the list for prospective migrants - always wear black on the trip over!).

All the best for the house and job hunting
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:17 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Hi Jan, just heard that you've moved back. Your update post made me well up and I'm happy in Oz!! So glad you are happy. Never really talked on BE but followed your posts on one thread in particular......

Good luck, hope you find jobs and a house quickly!
Made me 'well up' too and I am happy here in NS, Canada. (Jan lived 3 doors away when we were kids back in the 1970 & 80s.) I am so happy that you are back with your family and hope you find jobs and get yourselves a nice house soon. With your focus and determination I'm sure it won't be long.

Enjoy all the lovely shopping Jan and check up the new Union Mall. Sometimes I wish I could teleport back to Aberdeen on a Saturday afternoon and have lunch with my friends at Bisto Verde at The Green and go shopping. The hustle and bustle and traffic did overwhelm me a bit when I went back in April 09 but I am sure I could get used to it again
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Joyce - the shopping is awesome
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck and best wishes, I remember you from our visa application 'waiting' posts (I think you were August 06, I was Sept 06 but Clippies had a few months on the spreadsheet together), have kept an eye on this forum to see if anyone from our timescale is going back to UK but your the first I've seen.

Very best of luck with whatever you decide to do next, enjoy

Wendy (username used to be 'marvinc')

ps, it's a lovely 35 degrees here, enjoy the weather
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I think we may have snow forecast for next week......... time to buy gloves I think.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for posting an update. It was good to hear that you arrived back safely, even if you didn't have the best journey - at least that is all behind you now.

It must be great being back with family and old friends, especially with the added bonus of Christmas and New Year just a few weeks away.

All the best to you and your family - enjoy the next stage in life's adventure.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Okay - here goes - quick(ish) update.

Been offline for a while as after the house sold we moved into temporary accommodation with no internet. Thank heavens for McDonalds wifi - at least I could check my emails.

Left Perth on Thursday afternoon - no big deal as it was rainy and dull. Arrived at the airport and checked in. Think we got the most sour faced moaning bitch on the check in desk. She was reluctant to book our luggage all the way through to Aberdeen as we had booked on 2 separate tickets. One ticket through Singapore Air to London and then a direct flight with BA from London to Aberdeen. Didn't do it deliberately but just couldn't get SA to book us straight through to Aberdeen. - Eventually she checked the luggage all the way through.

Went to the Dome cafe for a coffee and a sandwich as we had skipped lunch on the way to the airport. I bit into my cheese, ham and tomato toastie and the tomato fell out on to my white t shirt. Nice start to the journey

I bought 2 bottles of whisky from the duty free, which we carried on board the flight with no problems. Flight was pleasant enough with a little bit of turbulence (this lead to another spill on the white t shirt - red wine no less). Arrived at Singapore on time with my t shirt looking like I'd been painting with a toddler. Went through customs where they confiscated my whisky as they said it hadn't been properly sealed in Perth

Got to the departure lounge where they announced there were problems with the plane and our flight would be delayed. Over an hour later we got on our way - arriving at London five minutes after our Aberdeen flight had left. 2 hours later (after been given the run around by airport staff who were trying to decide who was responsible for our missed flight) we were back at the BA desk. All our luggage was lost as the bitch from Perth had labelled it for BMI instead of BA. The woman at the desk then told me as I had booked on 2 tickets that SA were not liable to ensure I made my second flight and therefore if I wanted to fly to Aberdeen that day I would have to book and pay for new flights. Exhausted, I said okay then just book them. Almost died when she told me the one way flight to Aberdeen was going to cost us £190 each The original tickets had cost us £166 for 3 of us. Felt totally ripped off but just wanted "home".

Finally arrived in Aberdeen to 13 degrees and sunshine at 2pm Friday, - 32 hours after checking in at Perth. Delighted to discover they had found our luggage and it was there waiting for us..... Desperately hoped no one was there to meet us as I looked like I hadn't been showered for a week - and was still wearing the multi-stained t shirt...... was still delighted however to see one of our friends waiting with the biggest smile on his face.... priceless!

Picked up our hire car and drove to the Travelodge where we had our much longed for baths and showers. Travelodge is right beside Asda so I had to have a short(ish) shopping trip. LOVE IT LOVE IT - real shopping at bargain prices.

Were now starving so went to the chip shop - pie and chips - heaven.

Seen both of our daughters and had mega hugs - the best feeling in the world - No swimming pool or sunshine can compare to that feeling.

Exhausted we were in bed sleeping by 8.30pm. Wide awake at 4.15am and checking my 168 unread emails.

Now I need to start planning our future - job hunting - house hunting .......

We are so pleased to be home and can't wait to start living our life. No regrets as we now appreciate what is really important to us. We have no house and so far - no income but we slept soundly for the first time in ages.
All the best Jan & family have a rowie for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.