Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Originally Posted by midgetjan
stm1971 - think you must have mixed me up with someone else as you have never offended me. In fact I'm lucky enough to say no one has ever offended me on BE. I'm very thick skinned. (Honest it's not fat )

Thanks for all the good wishes.
No worries MJ. Best of luck for the future.

(p.s. thanks for the karma). x
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

goodluck mj am sooooooo jealous, sounds like your family need you though.

However i dont understand why you dont get citizenship for you and son then if he or his kids decide to visit/live in aus, there will be no hassles for them (or you if you wanted to visit) I can understand having no desire for it though, i feel like that, but thought i'd edge my bets as you never know wot you bloody children/grandchildren may do.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:42 am
Account Closed

After 2?

We've had loads of major ups and downs here - almost ending in divorce.

yep been through that bit luckily we have also made it to the other end.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

One way flights booked to Aberdeen - leaving Perth on 19 November.

Shipping almost organised LOL.

Didn't post anything sooner as we didn't want to tell our daughters until house was unconditionally sold.

House now sold - notice in at work - then panic!!

You have no idea how lovely that big red SOLD sign outside looks.
We are due to go on the 5th Nov yay, back to devon after 50 months of giving it a fair go here in Aus. We should have gone back sooner after 3 months we knew it was not right for us. All those things we took for granted in the UK will be waiting for us with open arms and we can't wait for the next chapter of our lives to begin. Good luck to you and your family for your new adventure
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, and hope it all works out for you back home in Scotland.

So jealous!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
goodluck mj am sooooooo jealous, sounds like your family need you though.

However i dont understand why you dont get citizenship for you and son then if he or his kids decide to visit/live in aus, there will be no hassles for them (or you if you wanted to visit) I can understand having no desire for it though, i feel like that, but thought i'd edge my bets as you never know wot you bloody children/grandchildren may do.
My son hates it here - never leaves the house and has made the past 2 years extremely difficult for us. If by some miracle he decides in the future to make Australia his home - he can put some effort in and get his own bloody visa.

Sorry if that sounds harsh Margaret- I'd do anything for my kids but he is adamant he hates Australia and everyone in it and sometimes you have to let them make their choices and/or mistakes. If any of my family move to Aus in the future I would be happy to visit on a visitor's visa.

My home is and always will be Scotland.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

My son hates it here - never leaves the house and has made the past 2 years extremely difficult for us. If by some miracle he decides in the future to make Australia his home - he can put some effort in and get his own bloody visa.

Sorry if that sounds harsh Margaret- I'd do anything for my kids but he is adamant he hates Australia and everyone in it and sometimes you have to let them make their choices and/or mistakes. If any of my family move to Aus in the future I would be happy to visit on a visitor's visa.

Hi Jan

We are in Perth as well been here for a long time and can really understand your thread in regards to family/home/and just trying to make things work when you really know it's not right for you and yours...We sold our home in April (09) after over a year on the market...gulp...we decided to let our youngest son finish year 11 (Dec 09) here then go home, we did want to be home for Christmas, our rental is until April 2010 but that is okay as it falls well for college etc for our youngest....I can really relate to your son...both of ours have been okay here but have been asking us for years to return home...we just kept trying to make Aus home....it's not going to happen so we are all very happy and know our decision is right to return home....don't worry about the Citizenship...you know whats best for you and yours and that's really all that counts in this life. Good luck and all the best.......I think we will return with Singapore Airlines....we really like them...have a Singapore Sling on the flight home,honestly they taste better than even the ones served at Raffles....I Kid you not...my OH says that's the only reason I want to fly with them.....he's not wrong..lol...that and they fly into Manchester....take care......
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:44 am
Account Closed

what about his kids though, they might want to visit/try to live (hopefully not though), but wouldnt it be a nice gift for them

p,s i think your lucky your son hates it (but i am sorry he has had to feel this way for so long), coz my kids love it (especially 18 year old), she is going back to scotland nxt june/july for a holiday and i am grasping at the straw she will love it all over again.

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 27th 2009 at 6:50 am.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
what about his kids though, they might want to visit/try to live (hopefully not though), but wouldnt it be a nice gift for them

p,s i think your lucky your son hates it (but i am sorry he has had to feel this way for so long), coz my kids love it (especially 18 year old), she is going back to scotland nxt june/july for a holiday and i am grasping at the straw she will love it all over again.
I have to agree with M.J here......I said to our two the other day...."what if we had left Aus without our C/ship"? both replied "if we wanted migrate anywhere then we would/will do it on our skills.....we certainly would not have wanted you to have stayed to gain it if you both (myself and their father) had really been homesick"....we have our C/ship and we have had some good times in Aus but now for us it is time to go home....sometimes you can look to far in to the future I certainly never worried about migration, children their children etc when we lived at home but now it has touched us and been through situations...we came to the conclusion "what will happen will happen"..you sometimes can help things along but worrying about things that might never happen is just to stressful and also our sons have said that if we (my oh and I)in the future wanted to live somewhere else other than the U.K then they would be very happy for us...and really we (my oh and I) only wish the same for our children....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I have to agree with M.J here......I said to our two the other day...."what if we had left Aus without our C/ship"? both replied "if we wanted migrate anywhere then we would/will do it on our skills.....we certainly would not have wanted you to have stayed to gain it if you both (myself and their father) had really been homesick"....we have our C/ship and we have had some good times in Aus but now for us it is time to go home....sometimes you can look to far in to the future I certainly never worried about migration, children their children etc when we lived at home but now it has touched us and been through situations...we came to the conclusion "what will happen will happen"..you sometimes can help things along but worrying about things that might never happen is just to stressful and also our sons have said that if we (my oh and I)in the future wanted to live somewhere else other than the U.K then they would be very happy for us...and really we (my oh and I) only wish the same for our children....
I agree - We've tried our best for our kids - now they have to decide their path and if they want to "gift" a visa to their kids - that's up to them. We paid for our son's visa, which he is giving up ...... I'm not taking it from him. I can't waste my life worrying about future generation's nationalities.

I intend to take my son home and help him enjoy his life in Great Britain

I understand what you are saying Margaret but citizenship just doesn't seem important any more.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I agree - We've tried our best for our kids - now they have to decide their path and if they want to "gift" a visa to their kids - that's up to them. We paid for our son's visa, which he is giving up ...... I'm not taking it from him. I can't waste my life worrying about future generation's nationalities.

I intend to take my son home and help him enjoy his life in Great Britain

I understand what you are saying Margaret but citizenship just doesn't seem important any more.
I didn't want it either, but we were there so we got it, except my daughter. My lads just look at the passport and say 'what's the point in having this', so i don't answer that question. It's up to them what they do in their lives, not me.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeh no one said it would be easy.......

We still have PR until 2012 anyway - so haven't totally dismissed all options but realistically I don't think we'll be back.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brits1

this is where i think the whole experience has been really unhealthy for me, i never used to worry about the future, just get up and on with life, here i obsess over it , i worry about EVERYTHING to do with the future , i have make myself ill over finances here, i wasnt rich in scotland, didnt bother me one bit, here i worry so much over it. I worry about getting ill or any of the family getting ill and not being able to afford private health insurance i know they will be treated like 2nd class citizens in the public and expected to keep their mouths shut and put up with it, after all their getting it for free (is the saying i have heard the medical staff use here a million times)

Funny thing was when i was back in scotland in feb, i was back to my ce la vie self

I know part of the fact is the experience made me grow up financially and plan for my old age (lol!), but i have hated doing it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jan just wanted to say hats off for sicking with it & giving it a fair go. Are you heading back to Aberdeen? All the best for you & yours with whatever comes next.

Donna
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Jan and family. It's nice to see that you and yours have managed to stay positive through the bad times. What a huge relief it must be to finally know you're going home.

All the best in your future and please don't be a stranger here on BE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.