10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Not for an Island this size it isn't.

I beg your pardon ??? Last year I worked in a City area which is predominantly Pakistani amongst others (Iraqi, Irani, Romanian, Turkish, Afghan, Kurdish + many more) and worked for a Sikh Charity. The street I worked in had roughly 17 other ethnic Charities in it (just 1 street), all of which are funded by our Government, for these communities that do not work. I am not racist, hence working for a Sikh Charity in the first place. These people were given accommodation by our Council, given free adult education courses + driving lessons free, given mobility cars etc, given benefits (regardless of the people that say they can't claim, I had to deal with the paperwork on a daily basis for them, and the majority of them are claimants), and were not 'asked' to work, because they all had 'Issues' of one or another. These charities, cater for the most part, for immigrants who need to attend the said charity in order for them to be 'released' from working ??? Please don't patronise me by saying they all fund themselves, and pay their taxes, because I for one personally know very different and if you knew half of what the average city's expenses were for these kinds of areas, you would fall over backwards.
A one person increase in 200 people is tiny regardless of the size of the UK.

The UK is:

50% rough grass & grazing
23% agriculture
12% forest/woodland
1% inland water

only 14% of the UK is developed land
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:08 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The UK population increase is an order of magnitude higher than that - currently around 300,000 per annum. This is the same as a room of 200 people with one more person joining each year - it is actually quite small.

Those coming into the country are also paying tax and contributing to society so they are not relying on your tax to fund their services, they are funding it themselves.
'This is the same as a room of 200 people with one more person joining each year - it is actually quite small.' ...no this is actually quite large :scared: .

'Those coming into the country are also paying tax and contributing to society so they are not relying on your tax to fund their services, they are funding it themselves' ... some are but a huge number of those coming into this country are making NO contribution to this country
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

LMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by BAY
some are but a huge number of those coming into this country are making NO contribution to this country
I'm pretty sure this is another misconception. I think I remember reading on the BBC about the number of immigrants from new EU countries - about 350,000. Of them only about 500 had made and income support type claims - that's about 0.15% of those that immigrated - not exactly a huge number compared to the rest paying taxes is it?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:13 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=martinw01908]
Originally Posted by Taffyles

I had to jump into this one too. I'm with Mally on this. Yes I use the national health, and why shouldn't I - I pay enough in tax for it! The problem with the NHS is that it may be 'free' to tax payers, but the service is shoddy and you can litrally die waiting for treatment. I myself, have had to wait 4 months form doctors referral to hospital consultant, who turned out to be useless and I am no nearer finding out what is wrong. I would gladly opt out of the NHS and stop paying for it and go private, so I can get decent treatment promptly. I can't afford both, and why should I pay for both even if I could?

Prescriptions aren't free, Yes some items are subsidised, but others are inflated. Maternity does not apply, I am male and I do not want to father and/or cannot afford to father any children living in this country. I would not want any unplanned children of mine growing up in this country anyway - it is not a good place in which to raise them.

Dentists, I cannot find an NHS dentist, so I have to go private, as do the majority of brits these days. Yes NHS dentists are pretty much non -exsistant.. remind me what are we paying all these taxes for again?

Coming to the US would be excellent, I cannot see how you pay more tax than us. Yes you are right, I like the fact the US has no social security safety net. This way the non-working lazy good for nothing leeching scroungers that we have here, won't be paid for by hard working me.

You may want to look at this page from Nationmaster

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-single-worker

shows the total tax take for a single person by country - the UK is 22nd paying less than most of Europe, Canada & the US.

Why is it that all the people who continuously whinge about tax are convinced that they are very hard working and that half the rest of the country is full of layabouts scrounging - Daily Mail/Express or Sun/Star I imagine.

You will change you mind on tax and UK services when you live abroad - most people do.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
'This is the same as a room of 200 people with one more person joining each year - it is actually quite small.' ...no this is actually quite large :scared: .
You reckon a 0.5% increase is quite large??
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:15 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

The UK is:

23% agriculture
12% forest/woodland
1% inland water

'A one person increase in 200 people is tiny regardless of the size of the UK' ... I should think the size of the UK plays a very important role in whether a one person increase in 200 people is small or big , along with how the infrastructure, resources like water, available housing , etc etc can cope.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:17 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
You reckon a 0.5% increase is quite large??
Yes I do.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by BAY
'A one person increase in 200 people is tiny regardless of the size of the UK' ... I should think the size of the UK plays a very important role in whether a one person increase in 200 people is small or big , along with how the infrastructure, resources like water, available housing , etc etc can cope.
As the post indicated, we have 60 million people living on 14% of the land, an extra 0.5% per year is tiny.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=martinw01908]
Originally Posted by Taffyles

I had to jump into this one too. I'm with Mally on this. Yes I use the national health, and why shouldn't I - I pay enough in tax for it! The problem with the NHS is that it may be 'free' to tax payers, but the service is shoddy and you can litrally die waiting for treatment. I myself, have had to wait 4 months form doctors referral to hospital consultant, who turned out to be useless and I am no nearer finding out what is wrong. I would gladly opt out of the NHS and stop paying for it and go private, so I can get decent treatment promptly. I can't afford both, and why should I pay for both even if I could?

Prescriptions aren't free, Yes some items are subsidised, but others are inflated. Maternity does not apply, I am male and I do not want to father and/or cannot afford to father any children living in this country. I would not want any unplanned children of mine growing up in this country anyway - it is not a good place in which to raise them.

Dentists, I cannot find an NHS dentist, so I have to go private, as do the majority of brits these days. Yes NHS dentists are pretty much non -exsistant.. remind me what are we paying all these taxes for again?

Coming to the US would be excellent, I cannot see how you pay more tax than us. Yes you are right, I like the fact the US has no social security safety net. This way the non-working lazy good for nothing leeching scroungers that we have here, won't be paid for by hard working me.

Well that wasn't the point- the point was you do have benefits for your taxes in UK.
I know how much you pay over there for private dentists- and how much more we pay :scared: It's still cheaper fro me to get my teeth fixed back in UK when on holiday than to pay the extortionate prices here.
As for prescriptions - don't even go there- we have retirees(old age pensioners) here selling their homes and moving into mobile homes (caravans) in order to pay for their prescriptions.
Do you think private health insurance would be so cheap if everyone had to purchase it? We had Bupa too when in UK, it was only so cheap because its was SUPPLEMENTAL.
As someone else has pointed out- we have the same helathcare problems over here. It's all about profit here matey- wards are closed down because they don't make enough profit. Waiting times in ER are just as long as UK. The incidence of hospital infection is very, very high here- many people are afraid to stay in hospital. I recently had a day stay operation and was extremely glad not to have to stay overnight. Medical malpractice is huge- paying for treatment doesn't eliminate human error! Depending on your health insurance, you may have to get second opinions and fight with your insurance company to be able to get the treatment you need.
Read some of the threads by nurses who have worked in the NHS and are now over here as to where the better CARE is.
I was lucky I had my babies in UK- I was shocked at the lack of care my daughter recieved giving birth over here(and paid dearly for- she had insurance but her bill still came to over $7,000).

You like having no social saftey net? Good for you- America has an I'm alright Jack attitude or 'let them eat cake", you should fit right in. Unfortunately it won't save you anything in taxes- you'll more than likely be paying more taxes out here, and certainly higher insurances and good old extortionate health insurance. And I wish you the best of health and luck if you ever do move out here- because with no social safety net, pal, you need both, no matter how hard a worker you are. As the saying goes here one sick kid (insert major accident, illness, insurance claim etc) can bankrupt you and put you out on the street.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

For LMUK: I'm not saying that private healthcare is faultless, but the reason we think it is so great is because over here, the priority is given to those who are private. They get the quickest treatment, and the best surgeons do private work. My mother got an excellent private hip replacement and they used a new type of hip joint that lasts much longer which isn't available on the NHS due to cost. She got the treatment within 1 month whereas had she stayed on the NHS waiting list she would have waited 2 years. This is why we think private healthcare is so much better. Likewise my father who also cut his cataract op time from 1 year to a month by going private. If he had not he would have had to give up work for a year, thus costing the state more money in benefits and losing his job.

Its amazing how we all have the grass in greener syndrome. I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right - I'm sure these comparisons are useful for thinking about it all. They make me think.

Re: Taxes. I pay PAYE tax at approx 22% (less £5,035 allowance), National insurance (this is the same as your social security?) rates hard to work out but I've paid £232 just this month, Council tax (is this the same as your propery tax?) of £70 per month, 17.5% VAT compared with your 6-12% sales tax. We have 5% insurance premium tax for any insurances now, Inheritance tax, stamp duty on home sales. That adds up. Your health insurance may sound a lot but $300 is only about £165 here and thats for two of you. I've just paid £232.54 national insurance. I don't know what proportion of it goes to the NHS, but its a hell of a lot of money. We also have Gordon Brown taxing our pensions at 1% a year raking in billions. The worlds most expensive petrol (gas) at £4.50 a gallon = $8.54. Try paying that much for gas! What with speed (greed) cameras and congestion charges, sneaky bus lane cameras, this is a very expensive place to live in.

Last edited by martinw01908; Aug 29th 2006 at 10:53 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in the UK just aren't realistic about how good they've got it and I guess you won't realise until you go live somewhere else.
As I said before, I HAVE lived somewhere else and therefore able to compare what I have here !

Why is it that all the people who continuously whinge about tax are convinced that they are very hard working and that half the rest of the country is full of layabouts scrounging - Daily Mail/Express or Sun/Star I imagine.
I don't read daily newspapers, full of crap !

The UK is:

23% agriculture
12% forest/woodland
1% inland water

Could you please provide a link to that information, and also a link that tells you who owns the 50% grass/grazing land, because contrary to popular belief about there being no wealth/class divide here, most of this land is either owned by private 'wealthy' aristocrats or the Duchy and therefore neither can be developed, therefore the 14 % (if it is that ?) is tiny to try and cram everyone into ? Can you not see the problem ?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:39 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LMUK
I'm pretty sure this is another misconception. I think I remember reading on the BBC about the number of immigrants from new EU countries - about 350,000. Of them only about 500 had made and income support type claims - that's about 0.15% of those that immigrated - not exactly a huge number compared to the rest paying taxes is it?
I wouldn't trust anything Blair's Broadcasting Corporation says
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:40 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

As the post indicated, we have 60 million people living on 14% of the land, an extra 0.5% per year is tiny.
No its not
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:42 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

0.5% (an under estimate !) of 60 million = 300,000. This is not small.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LMUK
Well if only 500 people out of 350,000 immigrants claimed a type of benefit, they must have all been in my jurisdiction last year at the Charity, because I dealt with more claims than that in 3 months, so not sure where you get your information, but it's way off the mark !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.