10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Not sure I fully understand your argument there guitar?

As I said in my first post - there is a chunk of tax you are going to have to pay over your lifetime - you can pay it whilst you are alive or when you are dead. I think conceptually it is better is we can leave people with more of their earned income whilst they are living their lives and catch up on their tax liability when they are dead.

Put it this way - if we stopped IHT then income tax or other taxes would need to go up to compensate - do you want to pay more income tax now or give a little less free money to your kids when you die?
Most people DO pay the chuck of Tax whilst alive, having worked hard to pay for it, hence owning their own home, that's the problem,....why then should their family pay it again when you are dead.

The people that don't pay whilst alive, will probably never own their own home, therefore not being in a position to leave it to someone anyway ???
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:21 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
'not everyone who isn't financially successful is lazy or wastes their money you know ' ... agree but a lot are and do waste their money.

Not luck but hard work
Yes Bay - you worked hard - but you were lucky that you weren't disabled at birth, or lost an arm in car crash, or contracted HIV or something else that impaired your life. You are also lucky that you have the ability to focus and work hard - some people just don't have the drive to do that and will always be less successful because of it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:22 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
'..then income tax or other taxes would need to go up to compensate' ... not if New Labour didn't waste it .
all governments in all countries "waste" money - its the nature of the beast
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:26 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Yes Bay - you worked hard - but you were lucky that you weren't disabled at birth, or lost an arm in car crash, or contracted HIV or something else that impaired your life. You are also lucky that you have the ability to focus and work hard - some people just don't have the drive to do that and will always be less successful because of it.
I'm sorry for those who were disabled at birth, or lost an arm in car crash, or contracted HIV or something else that impaired your life but they are a very small percentage of people and shouldn't dictate tax policy.

For those people who 'just don't have the drive to do that' then thats their chioce and those who do 'have the drive' shouldn't be taxed to pay for them
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, but getting back to the topic, the reason 10m want to leave the UK is because some brits have experienced another Government and seen how efficient they are, compared to the UK Government.

The UK's population increases dramatically every year and those new people then get jobs and work, hence pay TAX, yet the Country doesn't get any bigger, facilities don't improve, health systems aren't better, so where does all this extra Tax money they get, go ??? Our Government takes, takes, takes, and never wants to give despite their HUGE income from Taxes.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:28 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

But New Labour seem to have made an art of it
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAY
But New Labour seem to have made an art of it
I think putting parties aside, every Government we've had has made an art of it. Maggie increased Taxes 4 times the LEGAL limit during her time, yet no-one picked up on it at the time. Had she remained an untitled person when she left, she would have been prosecuted for this, when they realised, yet she was immediately made a Baroness and therefore excluded from this proceeding ???

Not many people are aware of things like this
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:35 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
I think putting parties aside, every Government we've had has made an art of it. Maggie increased Taxes 4 times the LEGAL limit during her time, yet no-one picked up on it at the time. Had she remained an untitled person when she left, she would have been prosecuted for this, when they realised, yet she was immediately made a Baroness and therefore excluded from this proceeding ???

Not many people are aware of things like this
Can you explain this 'LEGAL limit' thing. Thanks.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by BAY
I'm sorry for those who were disabled at birth, or lost an arm in car crash, or contracted HIV or something else that impaired your life but they are a very small percentage of people and shouldn't dictate tax policy.

For those people who 'just don't have the drive to do that' then thats their chioce and those who do 'have the drive' shouldn't be taxed to pay for them
Bay - I see drive as a skill like any other - just like running. Why haven't you won the 100m gold Olympics? All you have to do is run a bit better. I see it as the same with skills like drive, ambition, perseverance, commercial acumen - some naturally have it and some don't.

Most can improve their skills with training (but you need drive to put yourself in for training), but few will become really good at them just as few will be good at the 100m regardless of how much training they do. The thing with drive is that it is a precursor for most things in life - the 100m runner needs drive to do the training in the first place.

Whilst there is some degree of choice regarding drive, I do not believe that it is all down to choice and some people just don't have that skill.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAY
Can you explain this 'LEGAL limit' thing. Thanks.
As with everything there are legalities. If you own a shop you are not allowed to charge too much OR too little etc and can be prosecuted if you do.

The same applies to the Government. There is a Legal limit to which they can charge fees within certain periods, raise taxes within certain time frames, even Banks have the same legal thresholds, yet many are totally unaware that even the Goverment have laws to abide by.

At the time, and sure it still is, there is a legal limit to how much taxes can be raised in any 3 year limit, yet it was increased enormously, way past the limit, yet no-one noticed (or dared to mention)
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:42 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Bay - I see drive as a skill like any other - just like running. Why haven't you won the 100m gold Olympics? All you have to do is run a bit better. I see it as the same with skills like drive, ambition, perseverance, commercial acumen - some naturally have it and some don't.

Most can improve their skills with training (but you need drive to put yourself in for training), but few will become really good at them just as few will be good at the 100m regardless of how much training they do. The thing with drive is that it is a precursor for most things in life - the 100m runner needs drive to do the training in the first place.

Whilst there is some degree of choice regarding drive, I do not believe that it is all down to choice and some people just don't have that skill.
'I see drive as a skill like any other ' ... Oh please you are having a laugh.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAY
'I see drive as a skill like any other ' ... Oh please you are having a laugh.
I agree. A skill is something acquired, not something you are born with. Next you'll be saying that tolerance, conscience and having feelings are a skill too ???
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As with everything there are legalities. If you own a shop you are not allowed to charge too much OR too little etc and can be prosecuted if you do.

The same applies to the Government. There is a Legal limit to which they can charge fees within certain periods, raise taxes within certain time frames, even Banks have the same legal thresholds, yet many are totally unaware that even the Goverment have laws to abide by.

At the time, and sure it still is, there is a legal limit to how much taxes can be raised in any 3 year limit,
No, sorry - Parliament passes a Finance Act each year that sets the legal limits.

It is a fundamental principle of British democracy that no Parliament can bind its successors. If you don't like a particular government, then the choices in a democracy are either to vote for the alternative, get involved yourself, emigrate or stop complaining.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
No, sorry - Parliament passes a Finance Act each year that sets the legal limits.

It is a fundamental principle of British democracy that no Parliament can bind its successors. If you don't like a particular government, then the choices in a democracy are either to vote for the alternative, get involved yourself, emigrate or stop complaining.
I was just explaining something to Bay as they asked !

No need to be abruptly rude is there ? As for the Finance Act, I wasn't sure whether it was the 3 year rule or the annual reassesment, still not !

It may well be a fundamental principle, yet, again Maggie did this too. She did in fact set out laws that could not be changed for 10 years, binding any successor to stick to them...FACT. Democracy ? What democracy, it's a joke. Although having said that, as freedom of speech is still allowed when you are at home, I am allowed to complain
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be a fundamental principle, yet, again Maggie did this too. She did in fact set out laws that could not be changed for 10 years, binding any successor to stick to them...FACT.

Which laws are those, then?

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 29th 2006 at 2:07 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.