10 month update

Old May 18th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default 10 month update

Well, thought I should update on whats been happening as i received a very nice message today from someone asking if i am back in Oz or not. Well the answer is not. The last time i posted i think i was ready for packing it all in and heading back to Oz, i am happy to say i havent

I have been through a rollercoaster of emotions and i hope to never experience it all again. Have had so much heartache, trauma, numerous arguments with hubby, stress, you name it we've been through it. It's funny because I have read of this happening when people move to Oz but for me it didnt really happen like that only stressful moving back

Anyway, to cut a long story short we moved in with my parents in June, moved into a rental in September, moved my daughter to 3 different nursery's (that was very stressful), FIL passed away in December, went on holiday to Egypt in March (loved it) moved into our own home April and I am loving having a place of our own. The children are really settled, I have got a part time job, hubby has been contracting for the same company since we got here, we are going to Spain in July (cant wait even if it is Brits abroad!!!) - things are finally falling into place. I complained about the UK when we got back, it is natural to compare it to where we moved back from but i am adjusting now (i was not whinging for the sake of it, it is such a culture shock) but i believe we can be happy here for some time to come. i will never say never about Oz but for now this is more than fine. There are still many things i wish i could change about here but i think back to how i felt at my lowest in Perth and just be thankful i dont feel like that anymore.

Hope you all have the courage to do what you know is best

Sorry to ramble on the wine has taken hold

Bettyboot
Old May 18th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 month update

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Well, thought I should update on whats been happening as i received a very nice message today from someone asking if i am back in Oz or not. Well the answer is not. The last time i posted i think i was ready for packing it all in and heading back to Oz, i am happy to say i havent

I have been through a rollercoaster of emotions and i hope to never experience it all again. Have had so much heartache, trauma, numerous arguments with hubby, stress, you name it we've been through it. It's funny because I have read of this happening when people move to Oz but for me it didnt really happen like that only stressful moving back

Anyway, to cut a long story short we moved in with my parents in June, moved into a rental in September, moved my daughter to 3 different nursery's (that was very stressful), FIL passed away in December, went on holiday to Egypt in March (loved it) moved into our own home April and I am loving having a place of our own. The children are really settled, I have got a part time job, hubby has been contracting for the same company since we got here, we are going to Spain in July (cant wait even if it is Brits abroad!!!) - things are finally falling into place. I complained about the UK when we got back, it is natural to compare it to where we moved back from but i am adjusting now (i was not whinging for the sake of it, it is such a culture shock) but i believe we can be happy here for some time to come. i will never say never about Oz but for now this is more than fine. There are still many things i wish i could change about here but i think back to how i felt at my lowest in Perth and just be thankful i dont feel like that anymore.

Bettyboot
Gosh you have really surprised me, by saying you feel ok about being in the UK now...............BUT, Im so pleased you feel you have turned a corner. I think it took a lot of guts to admit how awful it was when you first moved back, as it prepares others for the reverse cultre shock etc....BUT more than that you have shown there is light at the end of the tunnel.
WELL DONE YOU!
Like you, the first 6mnths were hell on earth....but what I held on to was at least every morning, I didnt wake up with that sinking feeling, that dark cloud that every morning in Perth became for me. That has to be worth something
Are the rest of your family ok too?
All the best for the future
c
Old May 19th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you!! You've hung in there and things are on the up for you

From what you and Chrissie have said, life can be a real struggle back home when you first arrive, but just like Chrissie says...I long to wake up without that knot in the pit of my stomach every single day of my life.

Just been told my uni course finishes in September 2008. That light at the end of that very long dark tunnel is getting brighter
Old May 19th 2007, 10:48 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

There are still many things i wish i could change about here but i think back to how i felt at my lowest in Perth and just be thankful i dont feel like that anymore.Hope you all have the courage to do what you know is best Bettyboot
Amen sister!! So glad to hear things are slipping into place for you. Finding the courage can be hard I know. For me it is a real gamble as I haven't been to UK since late 80s and don't think I'd qualify for any benefits if it took me a while to get work (habitual residency crap) being mid 40s and not having oodles of money to start again with. But UK is still on my mind as I can't stand OZ and NZ wages are horribly low compared to cost of living.

Last edited by kiwi_child; May 19th 2007 at 10:50 am. Reason: spelling error
Old May 19th 2007, 2:23 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Bettyboot
sorry I gave you a hard time when you were unhappy in england- I was trying to say that you might get to this point- where things started looking up- Im glad they are.

I am still in limbo waiting for my house to sell and I'm sure when I get to the UK I'm going to have feelings of what have I done- esp when we are all living with my FIL but I hope to remember just how souless I felt here and stick it out as you have.

Karma for now and best of luck!
Old May 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Bettyboot
Hi BB..
I remember your posts suggesting we all stick it out in Perth as you thought your return to UK was for the worse.
I knew it was just a matter of time before you settled back in. We all have to give it time no matter where we live.
Even when i return i will feel unsettled, but i know it can't be any worse than where i am now.
So pleased things have worked out for you.
All the best.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Bettyboot
Thanks for that B.B. I have p.m you, I am so pleased to hear that you have now settled back home and all is going well for you.
( take care ) irish guinness ............
Old May 20th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Amen sister!! So glad to hear things are slipping into place for you. Finding the courage can be hard I know. For me it is a real gamble as I haven't been to UK since late 80s and don't think I'd qualify for any benefits if it took me a while to get work (habitual residency crap) being mid 40s and not having oodles of money to start again with. But UK is still on my mind as I can't stand OZ and NZ wages are horribly low compared to cost of living.
Aw.. We'll all help you help when you arrive!!
Get Rachel and Tracey back and you'll have plenty of people to put you up til you find your feet
x
Old May 20th 2007, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chance to be
Get Rachel and Tracey back and you'll have plenty of people to put you up til you find your feet
x
Yeah...it'll sure be cosy in our tiny 3 bed semi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21st 2007, 1:08 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Bettyboot

Great post, thanks for sharing. I am very apprehensive about all the turmoil still to come and its great to keep things in perspective with those that are coming out the other side.

Kevin
Old May 21st 2007, 2:54 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Aw.. We'll all help you help when you arrive!!
x
Thanks for the supportive thoughts. They're appreciated
Old May 21st 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Bettyboot
That was a brilliant and honest post. Well done and thank you for sharing it. Invaluable.

So good to hear things are falling into place for you
I didnt read your 'just got back, ahhhhhhh' posts.
I did the same return move and the reverse culture shock, the mourning for the loss of the Oz dream, adapting/comparing etc was so much harder than I thought it would be. I found moving back so much harder than migrating. I had a couple of other 'things' going on which didnt help. After moving back to Oz (well done you didnt) I am back in the may move home boat all over again and know this time it may be as hard as last time, (it may not) but I hope (pray) I am better prepared to go through it and hang in there.

Well done for coming out the other side..keep on enjoying it