Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Work visa in HK, eligible for MM2H or Dependent visa?

Work visa in HK, eligible for MM2H or Dependent visa?

Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:50 am
Just Joined

triage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work visa in HK, eligible for MM2H or Dependent visa?

Hello,

I am starting a new job, which will be paid out of Hong Kong, however the role is regional so I can work from home anywhere.

The company will issue me a HK working visa.

Can I then apply for MM2H? What about a Malaysia dependent's visa (my wife works in Malaysia on a work permit)?

Thanks,
TRiAGE
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work visa in HK, eligible for MM2H or Dependent visa?

Hi Triage,

this is a bit of an unusual combination. With the facts given I would say you would not need a work permit but than you have to leave every three months and maybe one day they won’t let you in or give you only a short term (one week) visa.

I’m pretty sure you can apply for MM2H and prove your income through your HK salary. I just would not highlight that you work from your desk in Malaysia.

Easier would be to apply for a dependent pass without work permit. If you want a work permit with the dependent pass only a Malaysian company can to apply for it.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:26 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi triage and welcome to the Malaysia forum. Hope you don't mind but I have moved your thread to the MM2H section which is for just these kinds of question.

You can apply for an MM2H visa but your wife can't as she would not be allowed to work in Malaysia with this visa. She could always apply later as your dependent if she should stop working.

There is a Malaysia Government portal here Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal which is very useful
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I'm concerned with applying for MM2H or a dependent's pass since I will have to submit a full copy of my passport. Won't Malaysia check and assume that I am working in HK so not strictly a 'dependent'? Also MM2H is designed as a retirement visa, so will that also cause any problems?

Cheers,
TRiAGE
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kebi
Hi Triage,

this is a bit of an unusual combination. With the facts given I would say you would not need a work permit but than you have to leave every three months and maybe one day they won’t let you in or give you only a short term (one week) visa.
Yeah, I considered this, I'm sure it would be fine for a while... until it wasn't. And then I'd have problems. So I want to make sure everything is legitimate.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triage
Thanks for the replies.

I'm concerned with applying for MM2H or a dependent's pass since I will have to submit a full copy of my passport. Won't Malaysia check and assume that I am working in HK so not strictly a 'dependent'? Also MM2H is designed as a retirement visa, so will that also cause any problems?

Cheers,
TRiAGE
For MM2H you can still be working, just not in a Malaysia. And it is not actually a retirement visa, it's a second home visa. Even those uinder 50 can apply although the financial requirements are somewhat tougher.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

I would try the dependent pass first since it is fast, cheap and easy to apply for. I don’t think that immigration has any objections that you have a work permit in another country. Every dependent has one in his country of origin (by birth) but is a dependent in Malaysia cause he is not allowed to work here. Theoretically you could leave Malaysia every Monday for work in HK and come back on Friday.