Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:14 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Err I think it's quite Ok to mention the name on here, as long as you're not promoting your own business. I imagine it might be useful for others.

If its in Germany though, wouldn't you have to make claims in Germany? And in Euros?? And presumably have a German bank account? Maybe?

Last edited by bakedbean; Aug 28th 2013 at 1:17 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha
Baked bean...you'd hope those Insurance Cos that advertise in expat magazines would have international set-ups but the Cigna guy that called me yesterday had the broadest Glaswegian accent Aahve heerd in ah laang time...even miself, frae Dundee, cood hardly understood that wee laddie.
I hope the German Co doesn't expect me to spraachen Deutsche!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:22 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Quite honestly, from what you have said in your first post, I think you will find it very difficult to find Utopia. It doesn't exist....trust me. I don't think you will tick all the boxes. Your best bet IMHO is just to come out here, take a look, see if it feels comfortable for you. Let's face it, you may arrive and just hate it, then all this research will be worthless. But....just my thoughts.
To follow up on this it is my plan to come to Malaysia from the 19th to 29th October with the intention of visiting Penang, Langkawi, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and KL.
Will I need to book up hotels, flights and car hire at that time of the year (and consequently fix my itinerary) or can I play it by ear and make it up as I go along?
Is there anywhere else which is a must-see/must-do?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean you seemed to be wrong - the thread disappeared. Let's try it this way: If you are a retired expat looking for a health insurance in English language you might want to try "retired expat health insurance" at google.co.uk. Forget the the Google ads on top and try one below them and you might find an insurance company.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you're visiting 5 locations in 10 days then, yes, I would be inclined to book everything in advance but....maybe that's just me. Certainly book the flights. It's only just over a month away.

I don't think you can take a hire car, or any car come to that, to Langkawi so definitely work that one out. You can get ferries from Penang if you are brave, or better perhaps a flight from Penang. Only takes about 40 minutes.

Hope you enjoy the trip ....have fun
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by kebi
Bakedbean you seemed to be wrong - the thread disappeared. Let's try it this way: If you are a retired expat looking for a health insurance in English language you might want to try "retired expat health insurance" at google.co.uk. Forget the the Google ads on top and try one below them and you might find an insurance company.
Sorry I'm not with you about thread disappeared. Anyway if retiring in Malaysia under mM2h? I guess most of us will be getting insurance here where we live (in Malaysia)

Last edited by bakedbean; Aug 28th 2013 at 2:43 pm. Reason: Added
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi InVinoVeritas,

Ten days is really a bit short to get to know the place you want to live in future. But for sure you will get a first impression and can determine the place you don’t want to live. If you do not really prefer the colder climate of the Cameron Highlands I would skip that because it is meanwhile really a tourist hotspot. Maybe you can try Malacca instead.

I would not mind to rent a car and drive yourself to be more flexible and if you have a laptop with you and a wireless connection you can always book the hotel for the next destination online.

And as I wrote in my PM try to arrange to be in Penang on the 25th and/or 26th for the Malaysian-German Society Oktoberfest. Many expats attend it and it is a perfect opportunity to get first-hand information from people who live here.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

I posted a thread with the web address but can't see it any more
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Getting an insurance in most cases may seem to be easy over the web, until you read the fine prints.

Having said that IMHO, what is more important is the claims
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you're visiting 5 locations in 10 days then, yes, I would be inclined to book everything in advance but....maybe that's just me. Certainly book the flights. It's only just over a month away.

I don't think you can take a hire car, or any car come to that, to Langkawi so definitely work that one out. You can get ferries from Penang if you are brave, or better perhaps a flight from Penang. Only takes about 40 minutes.

Hope you enjoy the trip ....have fun
Thanks BB, I realise Langkawi will need to be via Firefly - it's not really a contender for where to live but we also need to establish that there are some nearby get-aways for long weekends - such a thing is part of our lifestyle.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:18 am
Hostage Negotiator

Hi InVinoVeritas,

Ten days is really a bit short to get to know the place you want to live in future. But for sure you will get a first impression and can determine the place you don’t want to live. If you do not really prefer the colder climate of the Cameron Highlands I would skip that because it is meanwhile really a tourist hotspot. Maybe you can try Malacca instead.

I would not mind to rent a car and drive yourself to be more flexible and if you have a laptop with you and a wireless connection you can always book the hotel for the next destination online.

And as I wrote in my PM try to arrange to be in Penang on the 25th and/or 26th for the Malaysian-German Society Oktoberfest. Many expats attend it and it is a perfect opportunity to get first-hand information from people who live here.
Thanks for your advice Kebi. Ten days is a short time but first impressions are important. The Cameron Highlands is just us doing our tourist bit and is not essential which is why I don't want our itinerary to be too fixed. Thanks also for your PM which I will reply to shortly. I'll have a look at Malacca in the meantime!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:46 am

I posted a thread with the web address but can't see it any more
It's still there. It's at the bottom of the previous page.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Thanks BB, I realise Langkawi will need to be via Firefly - it's not really a contender for where to live but we also need to establish that there are some nearby get-aways for long weekends - such a thing is part of our lifestyle.
I think there are 2 carriers from Penang to Langkawi. Seem to recall seeing 2 flights going out of the airport. From Penang, there's plenty of places to see for long weekends. Phuket and Koh Samui are both short flights away, and down to KL and Singapore of course. Also plenty of places to see off-island by car: Taiping Lake Gardens, the lakes and mountains up north, even driving across border to Thailand (not the dodgy bit obviously) but we've done that, driven up to Trang in one day, then on to Phuket another day's drive.

Yes, agree re Melaka. Quite a few expats moving there these days. Cheaper properties than Penang Island. You'd also be not too far away from KLIA giving all sorts of options for travel, not just shorthaul. And only a few hours drive down to Singapore from Melaka.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:57 am
Hostage Negotiator

I've done a little research now on Melaka and unless I'm mistaken the much-vaunted international airport has only two flights a day - both to Singapore. Is there something I am missing?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I've done a little research now on Melaka and unless I'm mistaken the much-vaunted international airport has only two flights a day - both to Singapore. Is there something I am missing?
Not quite true! They do have flights to Indonesia as well (Lyon Air). As I mentioned to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law when I dropped them off at the airport last month.... "That isn't an airport terminal, it looks more like a bus stop"! I wouldn't say that it is "International" yet, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has plans to. Having said that, I remember both Ringway (now Manchester) and Abbotsinch (now Glasgow) airports from the early 1970's and they weren't that much bigger then. Look at them now. It will take time, but I am sure it will get there (eventually!).

Interestingly, on their return flight, the plane didn't quite manage to touch down first time and aborted the approach. The captain claimed he couldn't see the landing lights. It did, however, land successfully the second time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.