Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance instead of medical insurance

Travel insurance instead of medical insurance

Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:19 am
Just Joined

joy2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel insurance instead of medical insurance

Hi,

Is there anyone who submitted travel insurance instead of medical insurance and got approved? I am below 50. As I am not planning to live in Malaysia yet, I am thinking of getting an annual travel insurance which covers medical expenses.

I tried to contact MM2H office but in vain.

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks
Joy
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance instead of medical insurance

The cheapest version of the local health insurance is so cheap (at least if you are under 50 years old), don´t bother too much about this.

Just take the cheapest plan and then upgrade to your needs if/when you really live here.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eCdD
The cheapest version of the local health insurance is so cheap (at least if you are under 50 years old), don´t bother too much about this.

Just take the cheapest plan and then upgrade to your needs if/when you really live here.
Thanks eCdD. BTW, happen to have any recommendations for cheaper health insurance? Kurnia?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The agent who helped me with my MM2H application provided me with a bare-bones medical cost insurance (AIG). The cost was approximately RM480 per person for one year. It was good enough to get the MM2H completed. Later, after moving to Malaysia, I selected a more appropriate medical cost insurance, which came at a substantially higher price.
I am not sure whether the MM2H office would accept a travel insurance as replacement for a medical cost insurance.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SushiFan
The agent who helped me with my MM2H application provided me with a bare-bones medical cost insurance (AIG). The cost was approximately RM480 per person for one year. It was good enough to get the MM2H completed. Later, after moving to Malaysia, I selected a more appropriate medical cost insurance, which came at a substantially higher price.
I am not sure whether the MM2H office would accept a travel insurance as replacement for a medical cost insurance.
Hi SushiFan,
Thanks for the info. While I was on the phone with the immigration unit, I also asked this question. They don't accept a travel insurance for this case.

Do you mind sharing the contact of your agent?

I'm not sure whether it would be best to go direct. Heard I may be able to get some discounts if I go direct, i.e. buy face to face from a counter in a branch..
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joy2017
I'm not sure whether it would be best to go direct. Heard I may be able to get some discounts if I go direct, i.e. buy face to face from a counter in a branch..
Kurnia and AIG give big discounts if you don´t use agent. And this discounts continue year after year. Great Eastern only goes thru agents, no discounts.

I am with Kurnia, the have good price and offer the hospitals I want to have included. For the bare bones solution I guess AIG is indeed not beatable. The cheapest option from Kurnia that can be upgraded later is also worth to think of.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eCdD
Kurnia and AIG give big discounts if you don´t use agent. And this discounts continue year after year. Great Eastern only goes thru agents, no discounts.

I am with Kurnia, the have good price and offer the hospitals I want to have included. For the bare bones solution I guess AIG is indeed not beatable. The cheapest option from Kurnia that can be upgraded later is also worth to think of.
Thanks eCdD.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joy2017
Do you mind sharing the contact of your agent?
I did not mean an insurance agent. I was referring to the agent who handled my MM2H application. You would have to travel to Tokyo if you want to speak to that agent.....