Nurses at Home

Old Dec 6th 2014, 5:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nurses at Home

A friend sent me this link to Nurses at Home. I haven't actually used them (yet) but sounds like a good resource to keep bookmarked, just in case one ever needs.

Looks like there are various plans available.... visits of 1 to 1.5 hours. And also longer plans of 12 to 24 hours. I have no idea what it costs. If anyone has used their services, please do post on this topic.

The website is here:
Nurses at Home
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses at Home

Just to say that I am doing rather a lot of research currently in finding home nursing DIY. Actually, when I say I am doing, it's actually a whole bunch of friends here who are finding names and contacts for me, bless them. One of the pluses of Penang is that there is such a great network of both expat and locals to source information.

When I've got time to scratch my ass (which I haven't at the moment) I'm going to compile a list of what I've got and that may be a resource for others who are looking.

What I've found so far is that there are quite a lot of freelancing nurses around. Always good if you can get a personal recommendation. Though sometimes that doesn't always work out. One man's nurse is another man's poison or,something like that.

Anyway....more to come on this subject.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:35 am

I've got quite a few names now for home nursing so, if anyone is desperate to find someone, send me a PM and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Rates seem to range from RM 25 to 35 per hour. Gosh, you'd never get that in the UK, would you.

We hired one local lady for a couple of weeks, paying RM 35 per hour cash, and it worked out quite well. She worked daytimes which suited us. But she had a network of friends doing evening work. So, it would've been possible to have 24 hours nursing (in theory).

We also found that once you get chatting with folks, you find out about other nurses. Was in Emergency at one of the hospitals a few weeks back, and the nurse I was talking to saw my address and mentioned that she knew of a retired ex-nurse living at the same condo. She phoned her up to see if she wanted any work. She didn't, but she said to give her phone number in case we needed any emergency nursing. So that is rather handy.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean

Rates seem to range from RM 25 to 35 per hour. Gosh, you'd never get that in the UK, would you.

We hired one local lady for a couple of weeks, paying RM 35 per hour cash,
I've been getting some more nursing help at home and the rates have actually turned out to be lower than I mentioned above. Hmmmm think the lady I used earlier in the year must have seen me coming, though she was good.

Going direct with the nurses (i.e. not using an official agency like Nurses at Home) costs about RM 15 per hour cash in hand. If you use a "middle man" it can cost RM 20+

You might think Why use a middle man? But it can be handy if you're trying to arrange shifts around the clock 24 hours.

I've also found that once you use one or two nurses, you find that they know of someone and, before you know it, you have accumulated quite a list of available nurses.

Doing it this way, of course you don't know who exactly you're getting, unless you have a personal recommendation. Some will be moonlighting no doubt.