New MM2Her

Old May 23rd 2014, 10:33 am
Just Joined

fred321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New MM2Her

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi...just to say to the forum. June? That's not much notice, is it. Hope you get everything sorted out in time....and hope you enjoy Malaysia.
Hi,
First time to joining the forum! We have recently obtained MM2H and plan to visit KL and Penang again in September for 4 weeks to get a better feel for living in Malaysia for 4-6 months annually as we will continue to maintain our residence in the UK (family!). We have been to Malaysia 3 times and do like it very much but are a bit nervous as we do not know much or have any friends there yet. We are a retired but energetic couple in our sixties. Our reasons to move include, adventure/tax/quality/weather/living standards etc. Before coming to KL and Penang I should like to get a good idea on quality area's where we should consider renting an apartment. We would look for a 3 bedroom apartment around 2000 square feet. Our budget will be up to RM 7500 per month. I would like to get an input on area's I should consider and any recommendations on property agents. Any input on running cost/minimum lease period will be helpful.
Many Thanks
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best condos in bangsar for rent

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum from another MM2Her

Have a good browse through this section of the forum and you'll find a lot of relevant info. There's a topic on meetups on here if you want to meetup with others. We have a small MM2H social group going in Penang, have coffee meetups, Makan evenings and the like, about 30 or 40 of us now, though not everyone turns up to everything, and folks come and go.

There's also an existing topic on here about where to,live in Penang. Sorry I cannot put a link as I am on my dreaded iPad at the moment.

There's also,a sizeable expat community in Melaka these days. Have you considered there?
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best condos in bangsar for rent

Re rental prices, I'm a bit out of touch as we bought a place a few years ago, but I think you should be well under budget in Penang. JC3 has written some good stuff about renting on here so, again, have a good browse through existing topics. It's a renters market currently as there are loads of empty apartments.

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I am wrong) you'll find KL condos more expensive than Penang. And Melaka condos will be cheaper than Penang.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:53 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New MM2Her

Originally Posted by fred321
Hi,
First time to joining the forum! We have recently obtained MM2H and plan to visit KL and Penang again in September for 4 weeks to get a better feel for living in Malaysia for 4-6 months annually.....Any input on running cost/minimum lease period will be helpful.
Many Thanks
Hi Fred321,

Congratulations on getting your MM2H visas.

I've posted the below before, either on this forum or on the MM2H Malaysia My Second Home Forum (another great resource - www.my2home.info). I can't find my original posting on either one, but hopefully there's some info here that you will find useful.

JC3

Here’s some numbers that might help you work out a rough budget.
One of the great things about living in Malaysia is that your monthly essential bills are low.
Tap Water & Sewerage are incredibly cheap
Petrol costs about one third of the UK price
There’s no Council Tax (well, it's tiny anyway)
There’s no VAT yet, although 6% GST is coming in 2015.

You can get quite good data on the cost of living here: www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Here’s a rough guide to our biggest bills in Penang. My wife and I live in a house in a gated development with a shared pool and tennis court. Living in an apartment would probably be a bit cheaper, particularly the electric bill. Many people in Penang who live in higher floor apartments get a decent through breeze and hardly use aircon. In the house we use aircon principally in the bedroom at night.

Per month (RM)

Electricity A/C 300
Water & Sewerage 20
Service Charge (security, gardening, communal maintenance) 300
Landline & wifi 150
Astro Satellite TV with movies, but not sport 140
Mobile phone 70
Medical Insurance (2 people) 370
Motor Insurance 2 litre car (with 55% NCD) 145
Contents Insurance 135
Buildings Insurance 100
Gardener / House Boy 130
Bottled Water 80

They are the main ones. Note that I tend towards being over-insured.

Add to that:
Rent – take a look at www.iproperty.com and you’ll get an idea. Asking prices for rentals in Penang are about 15-40% over what you should be able to negotiate.

Supermarket bills – about 20% more than the UK, until you settle in and find out what’s cheaper where and buy less imported stuff. Then it’s about the same. But wine & beer is expensive, say 20-40% more than in the UK.

A maid - RM10-12 an hour.
Petrol - RM2.10 a litre (RON 95) Cheap!
Eating out – as cheap or expensive as you like.
Gym / Sports Club membership – as cheap or expensive as you like.

Travel & holidays…Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali….

JC3
Old May 24th 2014, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Hi JC3,
Your rely with information is indeed most helpful; I have some further questions:
1: As my wife and I are over 60 we understand that it will be difficult to get medical insurance locally, is this so? I currently have Private BUPA cover in the UK and will investigate chaining it to international cover (will be expensive!)
2: We feel an apartment will best fit with us to start with on rental basis. We would like a very good apartment with sea view etc. Can you suggest couple of specific area's I could search.
3: Our plan is to come to Penang for 2 weeks in September and will get a feel of the place and view properties etc. We should also like to meet British Expats and gain their experience and knowledge. Following this visit we would return in the New Year to firm up on residence, car etc.
4: I am currently banking with MayBank in KL as it was arranged by my MM2H agent. However, I note from the forum that HSBC Premier may best fit my needs. Is there an HSBC Branch in Penang?
Cheers and Many Thanks
Old May 24th 2014, 9:30 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JC3,
Your rely with information is indeed most helpful; I have some further questions:
1: As my wife and I are over 60 we understand that it will be difficult to get medical insurance locally, is this so? I currently have Private BUPA cover in the UK and will investigate chaining it to international cover (will be expensive!)

Yes, once you are over 60 getting PMI in Malaysia becomes more difficult, but not impossible.

AXA (www.axa.com.my) have a PMI policy named 'International Exclusive' that has an entry age up to 80. It's also offered by Citibank.

I think AIA (www.aia.com.my) may also allow 70 years olds to enrol for their A-Life Med Regular plan. The brochure states:

A-Life Med Regular is a standalone medical plan which covers up to age 100 of the insured.
It provides hospitalization and surgical expenses, with no Lifetime Limit.
On top of this, A-Life Med Regular provides you an option to extend the coverage to your immediate family members. This plan is available to individuals aged between 14 days and 70 years old.

I'm sure you'll get more advice and options on PMI from other forum users soon.

2: We feel an apartment will best fit with us to start with on rental basis. We would like a very good apartment with sea view etc. Can you suggest couple of specific area's I could search.

In Penang most retired expats live along the coast in the Gurney Drive, Tanjong Tokong, Tanjong Bungah and Batu Ferringhi areas.

3: Our plan is to come to Penang for 2 weeks in September and will get a feel of the place and view properties etc. We should also like to meet British Expats and gain their experience and knowledge. Following this visit we would return in the New Year to firm up on residence, car etc.

That's a good plan and all should be quite straightforward. Regarding viewing properties I recommend finding an agent to work (exclusively) for you, in advance of your visit. Specify what you are looking for, get the agent to do all the running and phoning around, and to make bookings for you to view. The agent should then take you around to see the properties in his/her car. The agents here in Penang are often lousy. So ask for recommendations, and tread warily.

4: I am currently banking with MayBank in KL as it was arranged by my MM2H agent. However, I note from the forum that HSBC Premier may best fit my needs. Is there an HSBC Branch in Penang?

Yes, there's three HSBC branches. The one in Downing Street (in the banking district) George Town is the head office and probably the branch you would use. There's another small branch at Precinct 10 in Tanjong Tokong and a third near Queensbay Mall out towards the airport.

Cheers and Many Thanks
JC3

Last edited by JC3; May 24th 2014 at 9:37 am.
Old May 24th 2014, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Hi JC3,
This all very useful and thank you for taking time to give the information. I will follow up on your suggestions. Any input from anyone regarding a reliable property agent will be much appreciated.
If it isa OK I will contact again as I come up with more questions.
Cheers
Old May 24th 2014, 12:56 pm

I can recommend the property agent we used.(and quite a few other MM2Hers).. she found us a rental,apartment initially, then later we bought via her. Very knowledgeable and she will drive you around. As JC said, try and stick to one or it gets messy and complicated if 2 agents recommend same unit.

We found it useful to know what other condos were in the pipeline.... I.e you may not want a 30 storey new condo popping up in between your nice sea view hehe.

If you don't know Penang well, make sure the agent shows you all areas JC has mentioned. They are all different, have different pros and cons, and only you know,what your preferences are.
Old May 24th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi BakedBean,
I really appreciate your response. Please let me have the contact details of the agent you and other MM2H's have used. I will contact and just have the 1 agent as mentioned.
Many Thanks for your kind support and would certainly like to join one of the meet up's in september.
Cheers
Old May 24th 2014, 2:02 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Hi JC3,
This all very useful and thank you for taking time to give the information. I will follow up on your suggestions. Any input from anyone regarding a reliable property agent will be much appreciated.
If it isa OK I will contact again as I come up with more questions.
Cheers
Hi Fred321,
Happy to help if I can. By all means keep asking your questions but do also have a good read through earlier posts on this forum and the MM2H forum I mentioned. You'll find many topics have been covered in great detail. Lots of useful stuff.
I'm not sure we are allowed to mention specific 'property agents' on this forum - it's probably best to ask by private message / email I expect. Otherwise the forum could quickly turn into a free for all advertising board.

JC3
Old May 24th 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi JC3,
Understood; as I new to all this, how do I let you and BakedBean have my e-mail for private message?